Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #21
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
If both legs of a single phase motor aren't pulling the same amount of amps...then there is something wrong. It "is" possible. For instance, if a winding starts shorting or some oddball crap, so it is advised to run both thermal overloads. We were merely stating that he could jumper it if he wanted to so he could get it running. On a three phase, you could protect two out of the three if you wanted....but no one in their right mind would do it that way. You wouldn't believe the amount of Nigerian rigged schidt that shows up while doing service calls. It always amazed me what people thought was ok.

Protecting 2 of 3 legs was a common practice for years, overloads are for overloading conditions, fuses/MCP are protection for shorts. Also on a single phase motor if one of the coils starts shorting windings (short out to themselves) then the single overload will still protect, as the impedance of the motor is decreased and the current goes up in the whole circuit. I do agree, that running the 2nd overload won't hurt anything, but I don't see a real scenario, that the circuit isn't adequately protected.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Last edited by zstroken; 11-03-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
The winding can open up and the side from the jumper can be the one shorting to the case and it not be protected. There is ALWAYS a case for fukkery.

Just put the correct heaters in all positions and don't question it. That's my policy.

Speaking of fukkery.....I started the little chinesium band saw on some tubing the other night. Then I turned and started working on a gate facing the other direction. The wife stepped out and said "um...honey...." The blade was locked and the motor was just a boiling out black smoke. Melted the motor to the ground. 20amp breaker never bobbled. Square D Homeline too, not that FPE red handled crap. It was an amazing show. Now see, if I had a starter and heaters on it...that wouldn't have happened.

Last edited by 4x4dually; 11-03-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #23
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
The winding can open up and the side from the jumper can be the one shorting to the case and it not be protected. There is ALWAYS a case for fukkery.

Just put the correct heaters in all positions and don't question it. That's my policy.

Speaking of fukkery.....I started the little chinesium band saw on some tubing the other night. Then I turned and started working on a gate facing the other direction. The wife stepped out and said "um...honey...." The blade was locked and the motor was just a boiling out black smoke. Melted the motor to the ground. 20amp breaker never bobbled. Square D Homeline too, not that FPE red handled crap. It was an amazing show. Now see, if I had a starter and heaters on it...that wouldn't have happened.
If the winding is shorted to the case, then it will pop the breaker. I am guessing your motor wasn't shorted to the case, . So yes a properly sized overload would have protected it.

Overcurrent protection is to protect the downstream devices, if the motor has bad insulation, it is already bad . Just keep the place from burning down when it shorts to the case! HAHA
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 11-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #24
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
If the winding is shorted to the case, then it will pop the breaker. I am guessing your motor wasn't shorted to the case, . So yes a properly sized overload would have protected it.

Overcurrent protection is to protect the downstream devices, if the motor has bad insulation, it is already bad . Just keep the place from burning down when it shorts to the case! HAHA
You realize you are preaching to the choir, correct?

HEY OP! Did you get that air pump working yet or not?

Old 11-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #25
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Compressor Starter Box Wiring

Not yet Jory. One more week of travel and hotel living for me. Then I'll be home and have time to tinker.

I greatly appreciate the info! Will put this to use.

For the record, it's a 220v 5hp motor.

Nick
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Last edited by Red Sleeper; 11-03-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #26
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Update.
Compressor works without starter box. I had a "doh!" moment when looking at my cousins IR compressor that is identical to mine.

He pointed out that his has start and run capacitors with a pressure switch rated to take the 15amp kick at first start up.

I get home, see that mine too has start and run capacitors. Cleaned the dirt off the pressure switch label, and read that it's also rated for 15amps. Wired that sucker direct to the switch and it fired off! I don't even care at this point how long it took to figure all this out. Just glad to finally have compressed air.

Jory, I printed out your schematic and placed it in the starter box. Might just need it one day. Thanks for the insight.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 12-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #27
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Glad you got it going.

Closed Thread