Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
b4ctrooper

Name: b4ctrooper
Title: Anger Issues
Member`s Gallery
47RH/47RE Info/Do it yourself thread

I want to start a thread for you hardcore DIY guys that want to tackle an auto Transmission. I am recovering from surgery right now, so my 47RH build is on standby. I have done a crazy amount or research online though, and want to post the links I found helpful here for everyone to see. Took me a long time to find all this info, so I wanted to save others the trouble in the future. If you have any useful tricks or mods that would help in building a 47RH/RE, or the link to a page or site with some info, please contribute! Anyway, here it goes:

ATSG Online manual for the RH:
http://documents.scribd.com/docs/2j3...8tf9meafox.pdf

Rebuilds with photos:
BC's Transmission Overhaul (updated as it occurs) - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
Rebuilding the 46rh aka 518 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
There's 2 people that did a great job of taking photos and helping with a step by step narration.

TSB info:
Transmission1994-2002 Ram TSB index

Here's some links with some great 47RH/RE info:
building my own trans - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
Rebuilding a new/old 48RE - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
Trans overhaul - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
Which drag racing tranny for street/strip? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
47re rebuild questions??? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
47RH Transmission Tech - Budget Build Up - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
Moving Transmission Clutch-Pacs Around. - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
47re planetary upgrade - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
95' Junker Drag Truck - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
i want to build my own 47RH ??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Build your own transmission? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Last edited by b4ctrooper; 11-29-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
BC847

Name: BC847
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Just as well add this to the list . . .

Beefing-Up My A518 Transmission (Updated As It Occurs) - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Silencer ring MIA, str8 pipe with 10" exhaust tip, 250psi boost gauge, ghost-lights 'n truck-nutz. K&N air filter next (if my grades are good enoufh).

Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
b4ctrooper

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC847 View Post
Good one. I missed it. Here's a group of videos of a trans shop redoing a 727 which is similar:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Autotransmissions#p/u

Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Lots of good info here on DTT's locked forums. You can't post to ask questions or receive answers but there is a lot of good information about performance parts for 47rh, 47re, and 48re transmissions.

http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/ind...6052dfeb05f0ec

Here is an example of some of the info on DTT's locked forum about line pressure in the transmission. http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=195
OEM 12v Block

Last edited by Big Blue24; 11-30-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
not enoughsmoke

Name: not enoughsmoke
Title: floatin in tha gulf
Member`s Gallery
Suscribe great info thanks alot
1968 Fastback GT
2003 F150
1994 F350 IDIT
1988 F350 IDIT
2003 Dodge 2500
1999 F250 Powerstroke
1993 F250 Fummins
1979 F350

Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
gunracer1

Name: gunracer1
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
All I can say is go for it. I rebuilt my first one about 3 years ago. Not that hard and you really don't need special tools. I used a piece of pipe in my press to get the overdrive section apart.
98 3500 4x4 quad 12v 5 speed,98 quad 4x4 12v stock sold, and a 95 reg cab getting triples.97 dually 4x4,6 speed over 500 rwhp, sold, 98 3/4 ton short bed reg cab, over 500 rwhp, sold. 98 quad 5 speed sold and the wife has a little dmax.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
calltrex

Name: calltrex
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the info. I was just going to do this soon
AirDog 150 Fuel System, Industrial Injection 90hp injectors, Super Phatshaft Turbo, ATS Manifold, ARP Studs

Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
cummins02

Name: cummins02
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Nice job, I did my 47rh last winter with all DTT parts and it was'nt to bad but this info will be real nice to have.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
AsTroSS

Name: AsTroSS
Title: problems start @80 psi
Member`s Gallery
Big Blue24 : 47re Clutch Pack Upgrades

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=100577

Old 11-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
b4ctrooper

Member`s Gallery
Just found this:
Dieseltrans.com :: View topic - What I learned at the DTT transmission class 101

Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
npe3484

Name: npe3484
Title: I hate ATF
Member`s Gallery
Home made alignment tool for assembling the overdrive unit. It started life as a 47RH/RE intermediate shaft. Cut it so that both of the sun gear bushings can still be fully engaged, and then weld half of a washer to the end for a handle.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Let me know if anybody needs to borrow it. Just pay shipping.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
b4ctrooper

Member`s Gallery
Good info. Check out the Dodge pages:
http://www.specialtytrans.com/

Last edited by b4ctrooper; 12-02-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
killed300ex

Name: killed300ex
Member`s Gallery
for you guys who have built your own trans how much have you spent to build a full billet trans in parts? Wondering how great the savings are doing it yourself to having someone do it
95 3500 C&C 5 spd #6 plate

Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by killed300ex View Post
for you guys who have built your own trans how much have you spent to build a full billet trans in parts? Wondering how great the savings are doing it yourself to having someone do it
About $300 for build labor and $300 for taking it out and putting it back in the truck.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
cumminsturbo94

Name: cumminsturbo94
Member`s Gallery
very nice thread

will be helpful here shortly

Old 12-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #16
b4ctrooper

Member`s Gallery
Here's another detailed build with plenty of pics and details:
46re Tutorial - JeepForum.com

And another of a 47RH:
47RH rebuild

A 42RE rebuild with some pics of good wear and tear:
42RE rebuild - MallCrawlin.com Forums

Interesting pressure testing info:
47rh problems - Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Good governor info:
moparts: 46RH trans/governor question

Some good info on trans issues:
APS Precision Mfg, LLC. - Tips and Tricks

Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #17
b4ctrooper

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by killed300ex View Post

I only bought a billet input for my trans. As far as saving by doing it yourself, there's the labor part, then there's also the parts markup. Unless you provide the parts, the shop usually buys them for you at their cost, and you get charged the list price which is sometimes a good amount higher. I personally think it's better to do it on your own because:
1 Bragging rights. It's great to drive it around everywhere and be able to tell everyone you redid the trans yourself. I take great pride in building my own stuff.
2 You know what's in it. I bought a performance TH400 from a trans shop that custom built it for another racer. He wanted to go for a Powerglide, and the TH400 lasted 3 passes in my car before the Sprag went. When disassembled, it was all F'd up inside with the way it was put together (they tried a grind here and there to put a torrington bearing in where it originally was not)!
3 I work hard for my paycheck and have a family to support!

There are tons of posts on different transmission threads that have a guy who wants to build his trans, and then you get the killjoy that comes on and says NOOOOOOO! Only a certified trans guy should build a trans! WAAAAAAAAAA! Not you in your backyard! WAAAAAAAAAAAA! It's impossible! WAAAAAAAAAA! All those complicated parts! WAAAAAAAAAAA! 137% of my customers tried to do it themselves and messed up royally! WAAAAAAAAAAA!

Well, here's a box of tissues, go somewhere else. This is not rocket science. If you look though the ATSG manual in the first post (GO BACK IF YOU MISSED IT) and are still intimidated, check out the FSM also. If you're still lost, buy a transmission rebuild video for the trans you're doing. I have one for each trans I've done and they are great. Remember the first time you did drum brakes? Looked complicated right? I know I was intimidated. Not anymore though. Now they're a joke. (If you're asking "what are drum brakes," I definately feel old)

If you tend to be all thumbs, and can mess up a wet dream, call a friend over that is mechanically inclined that can give you a hand. Most guys are eager to learn, I know I am. If you don't want to tackle the OD spring because you're intimidated by it, or don't have the tools to do it, bring that part to a trans shop and have them take care of just that. Some trans shops are great and are more than happy to talk shop with you. Others are all "time is money" and won't be as friendly (don't know about you but I'd spend twice as much at a friendly shop on principle). Besides, chances are you will need some parts. If they get hard to find, the trans shop may be able to get them for you.

I know there are some guys that need the truck back on the road right away also. Throw a junkyard trans in there for the meantime, and redo the original while you have the chance. Twice the labor, but still saves you a boatload of money. You could also drive the junk trans till it dies, or pull it to install your rebuild, and save it as a spare, or resell it to get your money back.

Will I outbuild the true pros out there on my trans? Not in a million years! Can you and I build a respectable trans that will last a long time and fit a low budget? Absolutely. See, there is no excuse. Call some friends, buy them some drinks (I LOVE SCOTCH!), do the research, get some manuals and/or the rebuild video, and get crankin!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #18
Hurley

Name: Hurley
Title: BLAKLUNG
Member`s Gallery
What about valvebody modifications? case modifications? all that super shiiiitttt that gets touted & denied!

95 2500 RCSB 2wd back-halfed and 4-linked
5x14/7mm +100cc/4k/11-blade billet 63/68/.91 T4
539/989

03 RCLB 4x4, SSR

Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Good Info Guys!

I Stuck this Thread to the Top!

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 12-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #20
b4ctrooper

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
What about valvebody modifications? case modifications? all that super shiiiitttt that gets touted & denied!
Unless someone has some other recommendation, I would say go with a quality shift kit and follow their instructions to a T.
I'm hoping others with experience in building these will chime in with some case mods or other passages to drill out.

Closed Thread