Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #41
ramthiscummins

Name: ramthiscummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
This is a sweet build!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #42
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
Just going to give an update from this week, I've been out in the shop every night except for one working on the truck. I was able to free up the 205 after a little persuasion with a 5lb sledge, once I got it a full revolution, I could turn it by hand. Shifting the rails was almost impossible. I tore it down and started cleaning the hell out of it. My hands have been a reddish yellow for 4 days with the parts covered in rusty tranny fluid.

Everything has cleaned up nicely and once I finally got into the swing of how the rebuild should go, it's been pretty easy, just alot of cleaning and time at the wire wheel and other tools to clean rust and grime off. I installed the idler/center section of gears 3 times, but finally got it right. I've got all of the internals installed and it turns nice and shifts good now. I just need to finish cleaning two end covers and installing new seals into the them, install them and then get the dust covers off two more of the old yokes to install them on the new 1410 yokes.

Once I finish that in the morning, I will be ready to get the mounts for the transfer case built and get it mounted under the truck. I then need to build a spacer between the tranny and the factory dodge trans mount. I also need to install the new 1410 yokes on the diffs and put the trans yoke in. I can then measure for the 3 new drive shafts and get them ordered on Monday.

What is left after that, I need to get the spacer/wastegate t3-t4 flange welded together to mount the wastegate, then I can do my final connect on the turbo to intercooler. Need to figure out the downpipe, the HX40 downpipe I had modified by cutting the bend and making it tighter to fit the vgt turbo I ran last year. After the welding is finished, I can then finish running wires to the fuel pump and electric fan, run the fuel supply and return lines. I then need to build the intercooler to tube intake line.

I think I've got all the parts I've ordered in now, lots of piles of parts to finish the last little items to install on the truck and then it will be ready to start and get broken in.

I'm ready to get this bad boy running and see just how it works.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #43
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Here is an update on the progress,*

Fuel pump and trans cooler fan are wired and work, and fuel lines are mostly ran.

Click the image to open in full size.
Untitled by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

The np205 is fully cleaned, derustified, rebuilt and hung from the frame. *I ordered the driveshafts for it today. *We made the brackets out of some 3/8 plate I had left over from a work bench I had made

1410 yokes are installed on both diffs

Adapter to wastegate is at machine shop getting tiged together and will hopefully be done today. *

All wiring is completed except for the 5v supply for the crank sensor.

Just about ready to fire the truck off for the first time

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #44
PSUCE

Name: PSUCE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I must have missed it, but what is that 205 out of? Also, how tight are your motor mounts? With the way your 205 mounts to the frame, there isn't much "wiggle" room when the engine torques. I would be concerned about checking to make sure that you're not binding the 205 in the mounts (when the engine torques), you sure don't want to snap off one of the mounting tabs of the 205!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #45
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
The engine, trans and transfer case are all using new poly mounts. The 205 is out of a 77 ford high boy. It has 32 spline shafts all around and has gears, no chains. The trans case is heavy built, it's also divorced from the engine and trans, it has an 11 inch driveshaft between the trans and it.

Drive shafts are built, adapter to wastegate are welded up, I'm ready to hook up the turbo side tomorrow night and install the fuel lines and drive shafts

Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #46
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Don't these look purdy?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #47
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Very nice job! It is coming together nicely. It's crazy how much time you can dump into these custom built projects huh?
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 04-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #48
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, don't think my wife had any clue how many evenings and weekends would be spent in the shop working on the truck getting everything done to it. I'm getting down to the wire, but it's getting done, I'm back out in the shop tonight putting the turbo on, and all the connections on that side, installing the drive shafts, and hooking up the fuel lines hopefully if time permits. I need to pull the battery and take it back to walmart and get it exchanged tomorrow as it's deader than a door nail and only a year old.

Once I get those three things done, just need to fab up the intake side of the plumbing, build the transmission mount, hook up the trans shifter, and fab up a 4x4 shifter for it.

Question, for a single turbo system, is it worth it to plumb the external wastegate back into the exhaust system or just let it vent to the air?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #49
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
You could let it vent to air or give it it's own pipe to exit out. I'd just plumb it into your existing exhaust system myself.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #50
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
On a single turbo setup, you don't need the wastegated exhaust to power another turbo so I would dump it out where ever is easiest. Sometimes a little mini hood stack is nice so you can see when the wastegate is opening.
OEM 12v Block

Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #51
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Well, only managed to get the turbo installed tonight, we came home to a missing dog, and found her shot on the county road a little ways from the house. So I had to bury her and spent part of the evening trying to track down the asshole that decided it would be fun to shoot a mastiff/pointer puppy. We did get the cold side pipe cut and welded together. We also found out that my fan has alot of play, so I'm ordering an electric fan for it tonight to replace the stock fan. So i've got more wiring to do, I'm just going to add another relay, and switch it off the trans cooler relay. Shouldn't take too much to add it in, just wasn't budgeted or planned.

T minus 11 days to get r dun.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #52
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
It's coming together man! Looks really nice too! I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. People just could give a chit less now a days. Good luck with your pursuit to find the dipchit/s!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #53
Smoken Gun

Name: Smoken Gun
Title: Diaboli parum adiutor.
Member`s Gallery
Im sorry to hear about your puppy also, I love animals. I fuggin hate most people these days...

If it was my animal id track down the scum that did it, hang'em high (or worse), and bury his chorpse in the woods. Worth it.

Love the build BTW!!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #54
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Thanks, she was a good pup, had just turned a year old and weighed just under 100lbs. She was very good at keep other animals away from the house and protecting the property. Her and my other pup, the full blood mastif have stood thier ground when a pack of 5 or 6 coyotes were sniffing around the house, keeping them away from us and the house. We live on 120 acres, and the nearest house is a 1/4 mile way, and in a mile radius, only have 3 neighbors. I'm in the process of tracking down who did it, I've got it narrowed down to a couple of people.

Boy time goes slow when you want to be doing something else. I'm waiting on the wife to pick me up from work so we can commute the hour home, change clothes and get to work on the truck.

Goal tonight is to finish hooking up turbo piping, cut the down pipe and weld a chunk back in that we cut out last year for the other turbo, install the drive shafts and maybe get to the fuel lines.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #55
neilden

Name: neilden
Title: ready to kick some ass
Member`s Gallery
Good luck with finding the ass that did it. I has a cop shoot mine after he tazed him cause he was snarling at him. ****ty deal. I sure there is another puppy ready for a good home when your ready. I watch the updates every day keep up the great work.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #56
JariV

Name: JariV
Title: Business Owner
Member`s Gallery
Do you have more pics regarding the head - intake manifold mods?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #57
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
Man that motor turned out clean. I wish I had half the space you seem to have under the hood lol.

My buddy has a mastiff, it's incredible how big and protective they are, but they are still so playful and gentle with kids. Good luck finding the puppy killer. Break his knees for me.

Last edited by madmikeismad; 04-21-2011 at 06:02 AM.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #58
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Here is the progress from last night,

Turbo side fully hooked up, clamps tightened, and bigger springs in the wastegate. I'm still going to have to use a regulator to limit it for higher boost, so I'll have to get that plumbed in.

Cold pipe made and bung welded in for a boost gauge and wastegate controller, just need to cut my up stainless for the right height and weld some beads around it for some bite on the clamps

Transmission lines are fully hooked up with 1/2 inch hose

I also filled the engine with oil and zinc additive and have the fuel lines almost finished, the pump is fully hooked up and fed from the tank, and the main fuel line run to the engine, I just need to cut the line shorter and reattach it. Return line is fully hooked up at the engine side and just need to take the slack out of it and cut it at the tank side and plumb it in with the pump return line.

Once I finish that, I need to bolt in the transmission yoke, fill the trans with fluid and I can fire the truck up for the first time in a year. Still need to install the drive shafts, modify my downpipe, build the trans mount, wire in the electric fan, etc..... My list is getting shorter, but so is my day count.

T minus 10 days to go.

No, I don't have any more pictures of the head work as it was done and on the block when I picked the engine up from Joe at PureDieselPower, I do know that it's fully ported and polished, had fire rings installed and larger valves. I did have the intake off of it when I had to remove it to put my fuel return banjo bolt in, but forgot to take pictures of it then.

I've owned mastifs in the past, and they are very protective of thier masters, that's why I like having them. I like knowing my property and family are protected when I can't be there. That and I don't have to worry about my size 14 foot squashing them....

Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #59
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
Nice progress.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #60
96strokerwg

Name: 96strokerwg
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery