Ignorance gets the best of me

josh03

don't ask
Bought a truck that I'm working on getting set up for my puller/daily driver and thought I'd entertain you with my ignorance as I've got this truck and learned about what I've got vs what the guy SAID it had. Its pretty comical and I'm sure many of you have ran into the same situation I did at some point in your diesel career.

Posted below is a list of the mods that this truck supposedly had on it when I got it. Me, not knowing hardly anything about 12 valves (still learning) just took it all with a smile. My own comments are written next each "mod" lol

Motor
70 mm Bomber B1 turbo with B2 impeller wheel capable of 65lbs of boost, but turned down to only boost 45. (more like a 62mm and as far as it being turned down, there isn't even a wastegate on it so he was smoking something good)
BD 4000 rpm rev kit (must've meant 3k)
Bosch 150 horse injectors- not marine (what are they then? lol... they are 370's)
Scottys 2 race intake
6,8,3,fuel plates (or maybe just only a #4)
5 inch turbo back exhaust (actually a 4" downpipe into 5")

Transmission
46 RH tranny built by Gorands (haha... 47RE by Goerend)
Stage 3 kit with upgraded Sprags and servos (?... whatever he meant the damn thing burned up on me)
Gorands triple disk converter low stall (Goerend)
Billet lever arm
Maghy tech tranny pan (cute way of saying Mag-hytec
I guess... but it isn't either of them, just an aluminum pan)

Suspension
Dan Thurin crossover steering (Thuren)
Carrlie long travel springs in back (Carli)
Dana 70 rear axle limited slip upgraded carrier (?)
6 inches of lift (kinda more like 7" in the front and 3" in the back)
37 inch pro comp extreme all terrains 90% tread (haha good one, maybe 30%)

Not to mention a couple of the verbal comments the guy said to me as we did the deal such as "ya it dynoed at 490 horse" or "it will run 13s in the quarter mile even on these big tires" haha, looking back its kinda it just makes me laugh.

Anyway, after a few months of some learning (and learning to keep my mouth shut around people that do know their stuff) I've finally been able to figure out most of what is actually on the truck. So a freshened up tranny, new better turbo, some dv's, some timing, and someone that has been building them for years, and the truck is almost ready to hook in front of the sled on Saturday. Hope everything goes well, and I hope to keep learning and moving forward in this great sport. Big thanks to all who've helped so far!

Last edited:
Drake did the tranny and Adam S. has been tinkerin quite a bit on it.
Ya for sure, are you hittin up Ukiah? Thats home turf for me.

Hmm, pretty cool rig... really think you ought to invest in a Flux Capacitor though - then you could step up to a PMS'd set of Super Demonslayer T-Rex Slayer stix! :woohoo:

thats why people that build what they want and get what they want.. you'll be there Josh.. your just going to have to continue to build it and then you will know.. you have a good start now

Drake did the tranny and Adam S. has been tinkerin quite a bit on it.
Ya for sure, are you hittin up Ukiah? Thats home turf for me.

your in the best hands with those two in your corner... just sit back and listen to sprague, the jedi master of sled pulling on the west coast!

I'll be at Ukiah. what class you pull?

your in the best hands with those two in your corner... just sit back and listen to sprague, the jedi master of sled pulling on the west coast!

I'll be at Ukiah. what class you pull?

Ya for sure, I'm glad I've got such good help near by. I run the street class, I already pulled in willits and redding- its that green ex cab long bed lifted one- "the global warmer" lol. Looks a bit different now though, got rid of the 37s and done the motor work on it of course.

Pretty sure he'll be comin down. I know drakes old lady will be pullin. Is yours the ccsb blue rig with the line-x on the lower paneling? Did I hear something about you breaking something that made you miss redding?

thats eli wallis. his didnt break, he just didnt want to pull. i ran at redding mine was the silver 3rd gen in super street... just got off the phone with drake, he is about to fix randee's truck to run at ukiah

thats eli wallis. his didnt break, he just didnt want to pull. i ran at redding mine was the silver 3rd gen in super street... just got off the phone with drake, he is about to fix randee's truck to run at ukiah

Thats right, now I remember Eli. So then this would be you: http://nhrda.com/Img_DR10/20100710a/pages/IMG_4580.html I wonder what the super street class will be looking like for Ukiah? I wish all of these little pulls had as big of a turn out as Redding did, that was awesome to see so many guys out there... wish the track was a little more consistent.

when I read ads like that, I just pass them over... ignorant/mouth breathing owner = cluster f'd/rigged truck

Exactly, but I wasn't smart enough to realize what he was saying was actually BS. Oh well, lesson learned, and the truck was in no way a pile, it is a pretty clean truck and expenses weren't spared on it. Its just thrown me for a curve when it comes to modifying the truck because some of the things I never would have thought of having to deal with are having to be dealt with.

Thats right, now I remember Eli. So then this would be you: http://nhrda.com/Img_DR10/20100710a/pages/IMG_4580.html I wonder what the super street class will be looking like for Ukiah? I wish all of these little pulls had as big of a turn out as Redding did, that was awesome to see so many guys out there... wish the track was a little more consistent.

yeah that one is mine... i know of only cole and i that will be at ukiah for super street, hope there is more but who knows...

Ya hopefully. I've got to put some traction bars on there and hang some weights and everything else is done. fingers crossed! Sprague said its runnin good, pulls good past 3300.

Sucks to here that but glad youre getting it handled. I met you in Redding I was changing and afc spring in my truck when you where talking to Arron from DDP. You going to be at the pulls saturday?

im looking forward,, well not really looking forward to watching but i have no choice so it will be fun watching you guys battle this weekend.. hopefully we all do well.. Im glad your truck is running better josh. looking forward to seeing you guys run a good track..

im looking forward,, well not really looking forward to watching but i have no choice so it will be fun watching you guys battle this weekend.. hopefully we all do well.. Im glad your truck is running better josh. looking forward to seeing you guys run a good track..

Man I'm so excited, truck is running amazing. We've made some progress on getting everything that we talked about done, she is looking pretty legit. What time were you planning on coming down on sat? I'll make sure I've got plenty of cold ones on ice!

Back