How to modify the overflow valve OFV

Guys,
I just tested a better way of modifying the DV.
Check out this site.
Rob Parelli
Tork Teknology
616-298-9103

CUMMINS - Fuel System - Tork Teknology

It will amaze you how easy & cheap you can get more reliable pressure with longer lasting results. The springs wear out.

WAYNES WORLD

The price of the Tork Tek valve is roughly the same as the cost of a new OFV so if you don't mind spending $40-$50 go ahead and buy one.

If your original OFV is in great shape like mine was, no need to spend money, just use a pen spring and you're good to go.

I do agree that stretched stock springs alone do settle back after a while. By using a dual spring setup, you'll have great fuel pressure for years and years.

Just kink the return line :p :p :p joke!

Thanks for the write up, Im going to install a fuel pressure gauge and I will have some before/after info. One question this was done with the stock lift pump correct?

I have modified the overflow valves on several different trucks, some with stock lift pumps, some with stock plus pusher secondary pump, some with aftermarket electric lift setups.

It doesn't matter which type of pump you use, the modified OFV works the same.

The price of the Tork Tek valve is roughly the same as the cost of a new OFV so if you don't mind spending $40-$50 go ahead and buy one.

If your original OFV is in great shape like mine was, no need to spend money, just use a pen spring and you're good to go.

I do agree that stretched stock springs alone do settle back after a while. By using a dual spring setup, you'll have great fuel pressure for years and years.

Big Blue 24,

Sometimes people type before they read the facts--:stab:
The prices start at $19 & go to $26.
If you check the web page before typing---
I found thru my testing that my pressure stayed at 40 pounds------ yes thats right 40-41 pounds with the prototype. Can you double springs do that over time?
No they can't. $.02
I also found a professional 12v injector puller that I threw away my old worn out piece of plastic for.
You can believe me or go to the web page-----
torkteknology.com
You can call Bob Parelli at 616-499-7777
Of course tell I said hello.:snoop:

WAYNES WORLD

a guy from cummins told me they used to do it to the company trucks he said "the fuel's gotta go somewhere" lol. Found out later hes a big shot in sales :p

An old instructor back in college called that the "Coke bottle" tune up.

Back in the day of driving a company 18 wheeler, when you wanted more power out of the tractor, you put a pair of vice grips on the return line to force more fuel into the motor.:hehe:

WAYNES WORLD

Big Blue 24,

I found thru my testing that my pressure stayed at 40 pounds------ yes thats right 40-41 pounds with the prototype. Can you double springs do that over time?
No they can't. $.02
I also found a professional 12v injector puller that I threw away my old worn out piece of plastic for.
torkteknology.com

WAYNES WORLD

Maybe you should do a little of your own testing with two springs. Depending on the length of the inner spring, I can set pressure anywhere from 30 to 55 psi at idle. I chose 55psi at idle for my drag truck because I don't want it to bypass very much fuel, however I don't want to dead head the fuel and get enough pressure to blow seals in the injection pump either. I chose 40-45 psi for my daily driver because I would like a little more fuel to run through the pump to help with cooling in the summertime Vegas heat.

I have no problem with Tork Tek, even if the valve is just $30 with shipping, it's still more money and wait time than spending 15 minutes to modify your stock valve at home with a $0.25 pen spring. The whole purpose of this thread was to teach how to cheaply and effectively modify the stock overflow valve. If I wanted to post up an infomercial about Tork Tek overflow valves, I would have titled the post "How to install a Tork Tek valve."

Now if my stock OFV was completely shot, corroded, etc, I would seriously investigate a Tork Tek valve since it's apparently cheaper than a stock Cummins OFV.

Big Blue 24,

No they can't. $.02
torkteknology.com

WAYNES WORLD

That's weird, my tork tek ofv was $50. :eek:

Maybe you should do a little of your own testing with two springs. Depending on the length of the inner spring, I can set pressure anywhere from 30 to 55 psi at idle. I chose 55psi at idle for my drag truck because I don't want it to bypass very much fuel, however I don't want to dead head the fuel and get enough pressure to blow seals in the injection pump either. I chose 40-45 psi for my daily driver because I would like a little more fuel to run through the pump to help with cooling in the summertime Vegas heat.

I have no problem with Tork Tek, even if the valve is just $30 with shipping, it's still more money and wait time than spending 15 minutes to modify your stock valve at home with a $0.25 pen spring. The whole purpose of this thread was to teach how to cheaply and effectively modify the stock overflow valve. If I wanted to post up an infomercial about Tork Tek overflow valves, I would have titled the post "How to install a Tork Tek valve."

Now if my stock OFV was completely shot, corroded, etc, I would seriously investigate a Tork Tek valve since it's apparently cheaper than a stock Cummins OFV.

Big Blue 24,

While I like the McGyver approach for the short run of the O/V, I prefer the long term resolution to avoid variables that effect my trucks performance. I like the infomercial idea & just might be available.
I think you will eventually will do it just as I did.
Thanks for the exchange of ideas.:stab:

WAYNES WORLD

Got my fuel pressure gauge installed tonight. I need the truck tomorrow so I will watch fuel pressure as i drive it then do the OFV mods and post what I find :D :ft:

Last edited:
Drove the truck all morning the gauge sits at 20psi at idle and normal driving anything over 3/4 throttle the needle goes to zero.....

Kevin

Drove the truck all morning the gauge sits at 20psi at idle and normal driving anything over 3/4 throttle the needle goes to zero.....

Kevin

Is that with the new 7 x .010" injectors? If you're still running stock injectors, you probably need to change the fuel filter and/or clean out the preheater strainer bowl as well in addition to modifying the OFV.

The OFV modification will help but it won't cure the problem entirely if the lift pump can't put out a normal quantity of fuel because of an inlet restriction from the fuel strainer bowl or and outlet restriction in a dirty or clogged fuel filter.

Is that with the new 7 x .010" injectors? If you're still running stock injectors, you probably need to change the fuel filter and/or clean out the preheater strainer bowl as well in addition to modifying the OFV.

The OFV modification will help but it won't cure the problem entirely if the lift pump can't put out a normal quantity of fuel because of an inlet restriction from the fuel strainer bowl or and outlet restriction in a dirty or clogged fuel filter.

Stock injectors, new ones are supposed to be here today but havent come. Paid to over night them too, dam ups:soap: I will do the filters this coming week. I have owned the truck for 8 months and i have never done them :doh:

I modded the valve and i guess I streched the spring a little much, sits between 50-75 on my 100psi gauge at idle. Guess I have to pull the bic spring out to get it to drop a bit. But now it doesnt go under 30 WFO.

Back