Hot EGTs after new long block

anwkid

My dad has a 2007 5.9 with 250 K miles on it. It has 50 hp Exergy injectors and a mild EFI live tune. It will get a little warm towing our 14 K pound trailer up a grade if you do not watch it.

Recently he loaned it to a friend to pull that trailer 800 miles, he left it on cruise control doing 65mph through some hills and it killed the stock turbo. He kept driving for another 30 mins or so to get to cell service. It pumped lots of oil through the engine and the combination of the added oil and lack of air melted most of the Pistons.

I just finished putting a brand new long block in it with a 64 mm turbo and a new set of 50 hp injectors. The engine was from DPC in Canada because of the 5 year 100k warranty.

I of course thoroughly cleaned the intercooler and piping to remove oil and replaced oil cooler. I removed the catalytic converter because it was plugged with oil. I didn’t change anything else.

Now the truck will see 1500° plus EGT on a short unloaded pull. It wouldn’t even get that hot before with the stock turbo.

The injectors are brand new from Exergy and were labeled 50 hp 2004.5 to 2007 5.9. Rail pressure seems good, makes 39lbs boost. I also cleaned the EGT probe with some scotch bright, no change. Any ideas on what could be causing my excessive temperatures?

My dad has a 2007 5.9 with 250 K miles on it. It has 50 hp Exergy injectors and a mild EFI live tune. It will get a little warm towing our 14 K pound trailer up a grade if you do not watch it.

Recently he loaned it to a friend to pull that trailer 800 miles, he left it on cruise control doing 65mph through some hills and it killed the stock turbo. He kept driving for another 30 mins or so to get to cell service. It pumped lots of oil through the engine and the combination of the added oil and lack of air melted most of the Pistons.

I just finished putting a brand new long block in it with a 64 mm turbo and a new set of 50 hp injectors. The engine was from DPC in Canada because of the 5 year 100k warranty.

I of course thoroughly cleaned the intercooler and piping to remove oil and replaced oil cooler. I removed the catalytic converter because it was plugged with oil. I didn’t change anything else.

Now the truck will see 1500° plus EGT on a short unloaded pull. It wouldn’t even get that hot before with the stock turbo.

The injectors are brand new from Exergy and were labeled 50 hp 2004.5 to 2007 5.9. Rail pressure seems good, makes 39lbs boost. I also cleaned the EGT probe with some scotch bright, no change. Any ideas on what could be causing my excessive temperatures?
The super B special turbo has the 71mm turbine which in my experience was horrible for towing. It doesn’t seem to utilize enough energy from the exhaust flow/heat like it actually flows too well and doesn’t get the shaft speed up very well. The 65 or 68mm would do much better. The 64 compressor would work but might surge and/or bark a little; I’d go with a 62mm compressor.

As stated that turbo may not be the best choice, but I would also have a look at your tuning. 39 lbs of boost and 1500 would indicate an air fuel ratio issue.

Thanks for the replies. The turbo is the stealth 64 modified 351cw, I probably should have said that, not a true 64. It spools pretty good.
I’m really thinking it’s a piston bowl design mix up. I’ll make some calls and see if I can figure out what is in it for sure. Thanks

Back