Turbo identification.

RonA

I bought a turbo a while back that I thought was a Garrett GT4718(Journal bearing). After I purchased it, I was told it was an 88mm CompTurbo. The turbine wheel measures around 98/88(very similar to an S400, and the exhaust housing looks like a 1.1 T6 divided BW as well. What's a good way to ID this thing. Owner had it rebuilt and it looks good with about .003 end play dry.

Some pictures.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    565.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    588.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    455.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    566.2 KB · Views: 0
Definitely appears to be the 96x88 S400/S410 turbine wheel and the bearing housing is certainly S400. The compressor side appears to have a TV series Garrett Compressor wheel possibly. Just going off of appearance on the compressor here, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Weston sent me a message and told me it was pretty much a paper weight. I'll keep the waste gate and blow off valve, junk the rest.

Last edited:
I put it up for sale over on the LS forum. Maybe I can get enough out of it to buy an S362 for the Falcon.

What are you asking Ron? Can't be a complete paperweight, just maybe not great for big power.

Chris

Just wondered what it was Chris. I had it for sale and was asked what model Compturbo it was. Figured I'd take the covers off and measure a few things, but the numbers didn't match anything on their web site. Figured someone on here would know(and they did). That's all.

Technically I stated that it wasn't terrible, but not great either. That compressor tends to over tax the turbine, it would better suited for a conservative pressure application at a lower shaft speed.

Technically I stated that it wasn't terrible, but not great either. That compressor tends to over tax the turbine, it would better suited for a conservative pressure application at a lower shaft speed.

Yes. On this forum it would be a paperweight, but on a gasser application it actually worked pretty well. 347" SBC was making 700 at under 10psi and over 1100 at 22 psi. Not chump change, but not made to run 45 psi in a set of twins. Sorry for the embellishment Weston.

Back