Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
drewkeen

Name: drewkeen
Title: Old School
Member`s Gallery
Cruise Control Surging Issue - Cash Reward to Anyone That Can Help Me Fix it!

2003 Dodge with the 5.9 HO and 48RE transmission. Nothing has recently changed to cause this, the truck did not do this when I first bought it. It got a Smarty tune and did this. I then flashed it back to stock and reflashed the Smarty and it fixed the issue. I should have left well enough alone, but I thought HP Tuners would be better. Since it also acted the same way with the Smarty I can't really blame the HP Tuners. This does lead me to believe it is something in the electronics/tune though.

When you set cruise the truck accelerates a couple of MPH, then slows down, then speeds back up again. It constantly varies by several MPH and can't figure out what the problem is and keeps doing it. Seems to be worse on flat ground or up hills and seems to calm down a bit doing downhill.

I have HP Tuners and have generated and flashed stock tunes back in the truck multiple times along with the performance tune for the truck. Nothing really changes, although it is a bit more sensitive with the tune because of the extra power.

I cleaned all of the grounds in the engine bay and on the batteries. I also got upgraded battery cables as the stock connector cable was failing on the ends and needed repair.

I replaced my FCA with a brand new Bosch one, no change.

I tried a restrictor in the line going to the servo, no change at first, but as I made it more of a restriction the issue had a bit longer of a delay to begin doing this, but then went back to doing the same thing.

I have an Edge insight and rail pressure seems to stay steady on it as well as following the desired in my HP Tuners Logs. I can do data logs of any parameters needed that HP Tuners can capture as well. The Edge also shows the TPS to be linear and steady as the cruise depresses and releases the accelerator pedal.

I have not replaced the servo, but it seems like this would be throwing parts at the issue for no reason - unless these are a common failure point.

Not sure what to really try next. I'll PayPal $25 to anyone that can help me in figuring this out. The only other thing I was thinking about doing was asking my local dealer to do a stock reflash on the truck to see if that remedied anything.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Really common issue with these trucks believe it or not. Very few have solved it. Good luck on your search.

North American Turbo

Old 02-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
My '03 used to surge like crazy with Flux 7s, Edge EZ, big single CP3, SB66, and a Smarty. Marco made some adjustments thru beta files, which improved it but it never went away. I bet if you could find someone to wash the ECM (usually only the factory has wash files), your issues would be resolved. This was before HP Tuner days as well. I ran the Smarty bc it was the best thing around, and Bob and Marco were supporting a bunch of development work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 02-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Mine did it a lot and it bugged the hell out of me. Try a different FCA (modded or stock), or go back to bone stock tune, and see what happens.

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 02-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
khaoskustoms

Name: khaoskustoms
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Some 03's use a vacuum pod to control the cruise. I've seen them fail and leak which can cause the surging your experiencing.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
drewkeen

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
My '03 used to surge like crazy with Flux 7s, Edge EZ, big single CP3, SB66, and a Smarty. Marco made some adjustments thru beta files, which improved it but it never went away. I bet if you could find someone to wash the ECM (usually only the factory has wash files), your issues would be resolved. This was before HP Tuner days as well. I ran the Smarty bc it was the best thing around, and Bob and Marco were supporting a bunch of development work.

Any idea what on the adjustments he made were?

I might have to take it to Dodge to wash it, or do you mean the actual production factory?

I sent an email over to HP Tuners, they replied back that is was probably the tune, then I replied back stating that it happened like it did and even remained when their stock generated file was rewritten. Hopefully I will get a helpful answer back from them.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
drewkeen

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUnderwood View Post
Mine did it a lot and it bugged the hell out of me. Try a different FCA (modded or stock), or go back to bone stock tune, and see what happens.

Changed the FCA and went back to stock tune with no change.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
drewkeen

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskustoms View Post
Some 03's use a vacuum pod to control the cruise. I've seen them fail and leak which can cause the surging your experiencing.
Where is the vacuum pod? Do you mean the little pump on the passenger side firewall?

Truck still had a ton of vacuum at the Servo when I pulled the hose off the install the restriction even after it had been shut off for a couple of minutes.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Stock or aftermarket CP3? Try turning the rail pressure down, and see what happens.

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 02-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
drewkeen

Member`s Gallery
ATS Dual CP3 kit with stock CP3. It originally happened with just the stock CP3 as well.

We tried to lower rail pressure and also to keep it mostly constant to see if that was an issue with no change.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Is this not just a function of the RP PID?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 02-27-2019, 11:00 PM   #12
Bob Wagner

Name: Bob Wagner
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post

The good days Roy. Hope all is well. You were and are kicking ass and taking names in life.

Good guy you are.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
khaoskustoms

Name: khaoskustoms
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewkeen View Post
Where is the vacuum pod? Do you mean the little pump on the passenger side firewall?

Truck still had a ton of vacuum at the Servo when I pulled the hose off the install the restriction even after it had been shut off for a couple of minutes.
The servo/pod that pulls the cable is what I mean. it has a vent port that could be malfunctioning. I had a 12v truck that would surge and randomly accelerate when the cruise was on. Replaced the servo/pod and it was good to go.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
drewkeen

Member`s Gallery
I'll give that a try, hopefully this weekend

Old 02-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #15
Lair87

Name: Lair87
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I have 2003 with a smarty on it. Mine will do the same thing. To fix it I turned down the throttle sensitivity to like 55% or so. That made the cruise much better on mine. I don't know if HP tuners will let you do that or not. But I would try to make the throttle less responsive and see if that makes it better.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #16
thunder03

Name: thunder03
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I also have an 03 with hp tuners. I wrote multiple tunes for it and my "street" tune has the pedal map backed way down from my other tunes. It makes a world of difference. May want to try that.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Old 03-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #17
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Thanks Bob, hope all is well in the PNW! Those were the good old days, I thoroughly enjoyed doing all of that testing with you guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner View Post
The good days Roy. Hope all is well. You were and are kicking ass and taking names in life.

Good guy you are.

'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Last edited by RascalMafia; 03-06-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #18
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
I have a lot of experience with this, but sadly i have never fully cured it.

I have had this problem with 2 different pumps, 3 sets of injectors, and every combination you can think of. its not in the injectors or the map sensor. I have several logs that show it happening between 0 and 30 mm3.

Mine only does it on cruise control and it has to be going downhill somewhat.

When i am on CC i can anticipate it coming after i crest a hill or mountain. I have to tap the brakes or cancel cruise, then re engage. So in other words it only does it when the engine is at 5% load or less.

swapping injectors, pumps, FCA's and MAP's does nothing for it. The best you can do is make sure all your fuel quantity cells are as smooth as possible in your tune and as stated above, the less aggressive your throttle is the more manageable it is.

To the OP, your truck has vacuum based cruise and mine is all in the ECM so these trucks share the same symptoms with different inputs. I have tried countless tunes, speed sensors etc etc and all i can tell you is it never really goes away.
H-Town Off-Road

Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #19
Chassisman

Name: Chassisman
Title: Gator Out...
Member`s Gallery
I know this is going to sound sarcastic, but can you just be happy not driving with the CC on?

Old 03-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #20
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
Is there a way you can change the values of the PID controller in the ECM for the cruise? It sounds like it keeps overshooting and needs to be tuned.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Closed Thread