So black, she makes asphalt look grey.

Amish Elegance

Schadenfreude
Keeping with my Black Sport Theme...

I want to black out my tail lights.... Not with any of that clip on GTS cover crap, just the stock lenzes tinted black. Smack the brakes, they glow red, just tinted. Anyone done this? Idears? How can I do it?

Vell, gut in dein truck und zu den Jegs fuadah...

I used the GTS covers, but I modified them so they only stick out the width of the cover. To do this, I removed the velcro sticks and used marine Goo glue to glue it directly to the taillight face. Then I took the dremel and cut the excess cover off. Now mine are shaped exactly like the stock taillights, only black.

brandon6.jpg

brandon3.jpg

brandon.

Send them out to a painter...they will mix black paint with clearcoat and spray the lenses. It looks awesome.
Or you can contact Marty at Truck Toys in south Texas..they sell the pre painted.

Or...if you're cheap like me...sand them w/2000 grip paper and spray them with model RC car tint available at any hobby shop then clear them with Dupli Color clear.
You can knock it out that way for about 20 bucks or less.
Check out DC Special's gallery...he has some good pics of them done with RC tint.

I'm thinking REALLY hard on getting my truck repainted (black of course), just not sure if I want the hassle of keeping it clean and shiney.

Thanks for the replys fellas. I think I may try it myself, and see how it goes. I'm pretty good with the krylon. LOL

Billy, black trucks are so worth it. For the five min after you wash them, and they're really clean... nothing looks better, IMO.

EDIT: BTW, that is a sexy farm truck!

Last edited:
Amish Elegance said:
Thanks for the replys fellas. I think I may try it myself, and see how it goes. I'm pretty good with the krylon. LOL

Billy, black trucks are so worth it. For the five min after you wash them, and they're really clean... nothing looks better, IMO.

That's the rub, I'm looking to move far enough out in the sticks that gravel roads will be the norm :( More than likely I'll just let it get uglier and uglier.....and faster and faster :evil

Sanded with 1000 grit. Cleaned them and tinted away.

Used "Transparent Black Window Tint" from the model section of Hobby Lobby and High Gloss Clear Acyrlic Sealer from Hobby Lobby as well.

I can't take credit for how they look in these pics. I originally did them myself...with about twice as much tint....local police mentioned it was too dark and suggested I remove it (cop though that they were the covers). So, I sanded all the tint off and left them at my buddy's body shop (Alamo's Body Shop) and had them spray them in their paint booth where the temp was warm enough to get a good application (this was in the winter time). These pics are with approx. one of those small 3.0 oz cans of the tint between the two.

3-26-06_Box_and_taillight_pics_003_Large_.jpg

3-26-06_Box_and_taillight_pics_001_Large_.jpg

Installed:

IMG_0260_Large_.JPG

IMG_0259_Large_.JPG

In the sunlight:
5-7-06_Truck_Pics_011_Large_.jpg

I'm getting a black 01 X this week and want to "bling" it out before Joe (csipsd) gets his hands on the engine. I'm thinking black chrome exhaust tips, smoked or blacked out lenses, blacked out windows....what else? and any tips on keeping the black looking clean for longer than 5 minutes?....other than not driving it?!! LOL Thanks.

the velcro on tail light and the clip on headlight covers really look good, not perfect from 2 feet away but i love the way they look. Also smoked clearence lamp covers are cool. and yes you NEED limo tint, so the cops can't see us riding around in vegas :} lol
robert

DCSpecial said:
Sanded with 1000 grit. Cleaned them and tinted away.

Used "Transparent Black Window Tint" from the model section of Hobby Lobby and High Gloss Clear Acyrlic Sealer from Hobby Lobby as well.

I can't take credit for how they look in these pics. I originally did them myself...with about twice as much tint....local police mentioned it was too dark and suggested I remove it (cop though that they were the covers). So, I sanded all the tint off and left them at my buddy's body shop (Alamo's Body Shop) and had them spray them in their paint booth where the temp was warm enough to get a good application (this was in the winter time). These pics are with approx. one of those small 3.0 oz cans of the tint between the two.

3-26-06_Box_and_taillight_pics_003_Large_.jpg

3-26-06_Box_and_taillight_pics_001_Large_.jpg

Installed:

IMG_0260_Large_.JPG

IMG_0259_Large_.JPG

In the sunlight:
5-7-06_Truck_Pics_011_Large_.jpg
Looks awsome!! any reason why i couldnt do this on my 06 dodge? What about the headlights?

cdiesel said:
I'm getting a black 01 X this week and want to "bling" it out before Joe (csipsd) gets his hands on the engine. I'm thinking black chrome exhaust tips, smoked or blacked out lenses, blacked out windows....what else? and any tips on keeping the black looking clean for longer than 5 minutes?....other than not driving it?!! LOL Thanks.

Black wheels
Black Bumpers
Black Grille
05-07 Harley Davidson Headlamps (black background and better lighting for the 99-01 headlamps).

what about the spray on stuff called nyteshade? its supposed to be for stuff like taillights and stuff?

i used the krylon crystal color on mine, looked good for like 2 weeks, now it has almost faded back to regualr red again.
IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Last edited:
Back