Replacing hose with tubing.

jimbo486

I'm purchasing an Airdog II 165 and plan on using 1/2" 316 stainless steel tubing to replace the blue Parker hose that comes in the kits. I've already spoken with Josh at Airdog regarding this but I want to hear clarification from another Airdog rep and maybe from those who are just as knowledgeable.

The 1/2" tubing I got actually yields closer to 3/8"-7/16" ID. When speaking with Josh, I asked if this would affect the pump's operation in any way or if it would somehow void the warranty with the pump. The short, quick response I got was just, "No." I had a VE pump custom built and the builder tells me that 3/8" should still supply more than plenty of fuel that is demanded by the pump and that 20-30psi of inlet pressure is recommended.

Referencing the following chart in the linked thread, if I were to run 25psi of inlet pressure, would this essentially make the 165 work more like a 108gph??

Flow ratings
This for a DF165
PSI ---- GPM
30 ----- 1.69
20 ----- 1.93
15 ----- 2.0
10 ----- 2.16

I also asked for the thread size in the pump base for the suction, supply and return lines. I was told, to quote Josh exactly, "1/2" NPT by 3/8" for both suction and supply and "3/8" NPT by 1/8" for the return line. I was hoping to get a thread pitch to be sure I get the correct fittings but I assume NP threads are pretty standardized. To be honest, the tone in Josh's monotone voice sounded like he wasn't too enthused about his job or even seemed like he was willing to answer any more than the questions I asked. I was quite displeased with this but I got answers nonetheless.

To sum up, I want to be 100% sure that there will not be a single issue with the pump. I'll warrant the tubing and fittings if a leak turns up somewhere, of course.

Feedback?

Last edited:
seems like you are over thinking it a bit, if you are going to run a line with 3/8 ID, then keep all your fittings 3/8 ID right up to the pump.

he said the thread pitch was 3/8 NPT

I use stainless steel tubing a lot, and the inside diameter of 1/2" x 0.035" is very close to 3/8".
Another thing to consider is that if you don't use a set of roller benders like Swagelok, you will crush the tubing in every bend you make.

For fuel, I use braided stainless steel hose, as I don't like the fact that the pump is working a lot harder trying to push fuel through the smaller I.D, and the crushed bends of the stainless steel tubing.

The braided stainless hose lines look better, flow better, and can be made in any radius you want, not just what the tube bender has.

I'm not a dealer...but I deal with stainless steel tubing everyday at work...

I have a hand bender that's worked successfully on tubing I've bent in the past.

The reason I'm considering the tubing is because I acquired about 40ft. of it as well as Swagelok compression fittings.

Really, not even a reply to my PM either??

Well, doing more of my own research, I found that the fittings in the pump are actually 3/8" NPT for the suction and supply and 1/8" NPT for the return line.

Back