Abridged version of the build (lots of pics, few words)

You forget, I have a whole machine shop.

No need to spend $100 plus on some pipe plugs.

:Cheer:

Oh that kewl!

Wasn't really about spending the money as much as just trying to make sure you had that part covered!

Just would hate to see anyone fall to that type of failure like I did!

Carry on!!:Cheer:

Ramp in at 20 where the big charger lights, gate the small turbo at 45, begin the ramp out at 60 and cut at 65.

That's going to be the initial settings I go with on the dyno.

Once I see how it's reacting, we'll go from there.

Not worried so much about the S300, the K31 primary on the other hand...

See, I worry more about the small charger. I've already cracked the housing on that.....found that on the inside of the housing when I tore them down.

Cracked right across. Never would have noticed it until it came apart otherwise.

That's one of the main reasons I did this tear down, other than to build the bottom end on it.

Truck has 62K on it, 34K of that has been in it's current setup. I wanted to see the condition of everything.

The ONLY things that had ANY wear on them at all were the front and rear main bearings. Everything else looked like the motor was started, broken in on a dyno and broken down.

Last edited:
Look at the blade count on the S300 vs the K31, you would be money ahead to change the setup before you blow them up.

Well, no more issues with freeze plugs blowing under the valve cover.

Got half of them done tonight before I had to hit the house and take care of the dogs.

Here's the process of removing the factory freeze plugs and tapping them for 3/4 -14 pipe plugs.

Removing the freeze plugs.....

Slide1-98.jpg

Slide2-99.jpg

Slide3-71.jpg

Slide4-43.jpg

Slide5-29.jpg

Checking the bore of for the correct drill and tap sizing. .872 brings it to roughly 7/8", so to fit it with a 3/4 - 14 pipe plug, we need to bore it out a bit.

Slide6-19.jpg

Slide7-15.jpg

Slide7a.jpg

Once we have that established, time to move to the mill and set up fof the drill and tap.

Start by centering on the original bore with a 7/8 bit. Once it's centered, swap in the 15/16 bit and bore the hole. Once that's done, swap to teh tap center and begin your tap. Stop frequently to check your depth. Once you get the plug roughly flush, you're golden.

Slide8-12.jpg

Slide9-10.jpg

Slide11-5.jpg

Slide12-3.jpg

Slide13-3.jpg

Slide14-2.jpg

Slide15-1.jpg

Back