Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area - Nissan > Nissan Tech > Titans XD Cummins 5.0L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Soup Nazi

Name: Soup Nazi
Title: The artist formerly known as Don M
Member`s Gallery
Titan Update

We received our Titan in May 2016. Its still stock.
It has done 98k miles now and no major mechanical issues. Regular fuel filter changes, regular oil changes, and filling the def tank constantly is all we do.🤣

The torque management in the ECU is terrible. The trans shifts hard and jerky. Cummins engineers and myself spent a week dickin with the programming and got it maybe 50% better than it was. It has more power and better shifts, but is still not what I like. Honestly, it needs a real tune and real fuel, but their hands are tied. It drinks Urea like mad too .

Overall it is reliable as hell and that is why we bought it. I can jump in it and tow anything from our small backhoe/tractor to a moderate gooseneck load and really have confidence. I did overload the thing last year with a 19k trailer and it towed it very well.

The brakes are leading class, IMO. It stops, NOW!

Mileage is terrible. Overall it is near 14. Yeah, 14.
I have to power brake the thing to get any decent acceleration from a dead stop too. It regens a lot!
The idea behind regens and dpfs is a curse on us all.

Great ride, reliability, toughness, and brakes. Have a look at the frame on this thing. Wow. Stout!

I ran a pressure box on it for a few weeks and that alone really woke it up. But in stock form it already runs 29k. That freaked me out after looking at several 5 gallon buckets full of cracked injector cores in my shop. We removed it.

Overall, the power output is low. Ft/lbs per liter is one of the lowest I have seen in heavy trucks. At 5.0 liters and 555 ft lbs...it an anemic 111 ft lbs per liter. Compared to a Ram 6.7 at 1000 ft lbs. That one is roughly 150 ft lbs per liter.

I wish the truck wasnt so thirsty, had some real acceleration and power. Other than that. It is really nice.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Cutaway

Name: Cutaway
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
We received our Titan in May 2016. Its still stock.
It has done 98k miles now and no major mechanical issues. Regular fuel filter changes, regular oil changes, and filling the def tank constantly is all we do.🤣

The torque management in the ECU is terrible. The trans shifts hard and jerky. Cummins engineers and myself spent a week dickin with the programming and got it maybe 50% better than it was. It has more power and better shifts, but is still not what I like. Honestly, it needs a real tune and real fuel, but their hands are tied. It drinks Urea like mad too .

Overall it is reliable as hell and that is why we bought it. I can jump in it and tow anything from our small backhoe/tractor to a moderate gooseneck load and really have confidence. I did overload the thing last year with a 19k trailer and it towed it very well.

The brakes are leading class, IMO. It stops, NOW!

Mileage is terrible. Overall it is near 14. Yeah, 14.
I have to power brake the thing to get any decent acceleration from a dead stop too. It regens a lot!
The idea behind regens and dpfs is a curse on us all.

Great ride, reliability, toughness, and brakes. Have a look at the frame on this thing. Wow. Stout!

I ran a pressure box on it for a few weeks and that alone really woke it up. But in stock form it already runs 29k. That freaked me out after looking at several 5 gallon buckets full of cracked injector cores in my shop. We removed it.

Overall, the power output is low. Ft/lbs per liter is one of the lowest I have seen in heavy trucks. At 5.0 liters and 555 ft lbs...it an anemic 111 ft lbs per liter. Compared to a Ram 6.7 at 1000 ft lbs. That one is roughly 150 ft lbs per liter.

I wish the truck wasnt so thirsty, had some real acceleration and power. Other than that. It is really nice.
Great report & I agree with all of it... but delete. You will not regret it & it REALLY transforms the truck a FULL 180. You will get the acceleration & power. My tunes are from Hardway & I feel are really solid. Apparently Hardway / Ryan are a bad word on the FB forums (which I think are a total joke) but the truck tunes work & work well. The only real issue I have is that on both of his bigger power tunes there is some surge while climbing hills when empty, not while towing / under heavy load. My thought is this is more about the regulating vane assembly in the two stage Holeset. This is based simply on my research of how this set up works & talking w/ Ryan a bit about it. Its not bad, just not perfect. I just turned 51K miles w/ 45K of them deleted, no issues. I regularly tow 11K race trailer 500 miles round trip (twice a month) and have airbags.
99' 24V

Old 08-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Soup Nazi

Name: Soup Nazi
Title: The artist formerly known as Don M
Member`s Gallery
Well, I guess most of the titan developement will be slowing down even further since Nissan is killing the 5.0 cummins off. I wondered how long they would keep it going since the sales are so sloooow.
Heck I even looked at a 2019 last week, but they wouldnt give me jack for mine as a trade in.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #4
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Well, I guess most of the titan developement will be slowing down even further since Nissan is killing the 5.0 cummins off. I wondered how long they would keep it going since the sales are so sloooow.
Heck I even looked at a 2019 last week, but they wouldnt give me jack for mine as a trade in.

Any update on this? Looking at buying a used truck in the near future. Curious to know current mileage and any issues you’ve experienced, if any at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-26-2021, 08:30 AM   #5
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
Any update on this? Looking at buying a used truck in the near future. Curious to know current mileage and any issues you’ve experienced, if any at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear spitting cranks out the bottom end is pretty standard on these things. Any truth?

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Closed Thread