Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #41
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
I wish my PC didn't block all the images so I could see them. ;(

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 07-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #42
Flatbedcowboy

Name: Flatbedcowboy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Here is a Cast Steel piece I recently welded, TIG with 70S. Nothing special, could easily have used stick or MIG too.

Click the image to open in full size.
For some reason I cant see your picture. Where are you located?? You could just come up and do my axle! HA

Old 07-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #43
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
I wish my PC didn't block all the images so I could see them. ;(

Oh dang it, I am using Flickr as the server for image hosting, you may be able to find my account and see them there. Or maybe you could see them from your phone since they dont have image restrictions?

Old 08-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #44
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedcowboy View Post
Oh dang it, I am using Flickr as the server for image hosting, you may be able to find my account and see them there. Or maybe you could see them from your phone since they dont have image restrictions?
It's our work network filter.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:01 PM   #45
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
I know its been a while since I updated and I really dont have anything new. I knew it would be a long slow project but I have been letting it get away from me.

Currently, I'm having the radiator re-cored with dimpled tubes and extra fins that have louvers stamped into them, to try an maximize the cooling I'm getting in that small space. The original rad was also a 3 core and the new one is a 4. That has been taking a while, and I need to get the intercooler and radiator bolted in place, so then I can decide on final engine placement. Hopefully it will be finished in a couple weeks.

I also bought a couple new fuel tanks. The ones I have were in ok shape on the outside, but I cut into one and it was a mess in there. For the time and effort to get one tank clean, add a sending unit, and a pickup tube, it was way easier to buy better tanks. I found a matching set from a truck salvage yard, that have black and red patina that should match pretty close. They are also a little shorter than the originals so there should be room for my stacks without having to change much. Cost me $200

I also sold the RD450 gas engine and transmission for a song, $200. I definitely was tired of looking at it sitting in my driveway. But it offset the cost of the tanks I bought the week before.

Total cost so far $1,162

Last edited by Flatbedcowboy; 12-14-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:30 AM   #46
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
So some bad news for me, I had a local fabricator come out and look to see what it would take to swap the S1754 front axle and hangers, onto the '48 frame. After an hour or so of measuring, he found a small hairline crack in the old frame right where the spring hanger is, and after a hard look I believe I found a few more. So the '48 frame is out and now I have decided to move the cab, fenders, and motor over to the s1700 frame.
I guess in the end it is a better deal having a more modern frame and not having to move axles and stuff, but I am loosing like 50 hours of work that I did to get the Dt466 in the '48 frame.
So this weekend I will start pulling the cab and 9.0L out of the S1754 and prepping that frame to take the '48 cab.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #47
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Nice project. A friend of mine built a '47 International years ago. I'm sure I could find some of the before photos, but I do have the finished product to share. This must have been 15 years ago, but I think he still has it.

Last edited by Snedge; 05-08-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Old 02-14-2022, 01:41 PM   #48
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Nice project. A friend of mine built a '47 International years ago. I'm sure I could find some of the before photos, but I do have the finished product to share. This must have been 15 years ago, but I think he still has it.
WOW! That's pretty bad ass! Looks like a 12valve? any interior pictures?

Mine will not be even close to how clean and nice that one is. I'm kind of going for the "pulled out of the field yesterday" look. I would be afraid to drive it if it was that nice.

Old 02-14-2022, 01:47 PM   #49
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
I do have a few of the interior. I hear you. I got to drive it, and it was awesome, except for the fact that I was afraid to even hit a bug, and at the time it had a 6:80 something gear ratio. 45 MPH had that old 5.9 screaming for mercy. lol

Last edited by Snedge; 05-08-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #50
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
That would be bad ass to pull up to the campsite pulling the new 5'er.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:18 PM   #51
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
That would be bad ass to pull up to the campsite pulling the new 5'er.
I don't think so. Just saying, if you're not satisfied with the stiff ride your Dodge provides, I'd say about 5 miles into the tow with that old IH you'd lose interest and ask for your kidneys back.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:16 PM   #52
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I do have a few of the interior. I hear you. I got to drive it, and it was awesome, except for the fact that I was afraid to even hit a bug, and at the time it had a 6:80 something gear ratio. 45 MPH had that old 5.9 screaming for mercy. lol
Quote:
I don't think so. Just saying, if you're not satisfied with the stiff ride your Dodge provides, I'd say about 5 miles into the tow with that old IH you'd lose interest and ask for your kidneys back.
That's great, he added a radio like I was thinking about doing under the dash. I was also curious to see if he left the windshield crank in, and it looks like he did. No aftermarket air though it looks like.

Still has the original suspension? Talk about a real kidney beater, I think the original rear leaf stack was over a foot tall. And talk about low geared, but the original engine was like 85 horses, so that would make sense.

I think I'm happy going with putting everything on my '84 frame that should avoid both of those issues.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #53
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Here are pictures of the s1754 right before I took the 9.0L out and took the cab off, and off the '48 cab and one fender mocked up on the new frame.
[Click the image to open in full size.[/url]

[Click the image to open in full size.[/url]

The tires and wheel actually fit inside the fender, but they are not lined up with the crease in the center of the fender, so I may need to do something about that. It also sits way taller than on the old truck frame, making the whole truck 8-10" taller overall (the tires are also 11" 22.5 so I could run a bit smaller).

Old 02-17-2022, 04:37 PM   #54
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
I also sold the 9.0L liter right away for $250, some guy told me after I sold it that guys with 7.3lIDI trucks want the injection pumps and would pay big money for them. I didn't find anything online about that.

I am going to be able to use a radiator I already have instead of finishing the one I was getting built, so I had to pay $150 in labor for that one. The radiator I have is still 24" wide, but its another 8" taller. But because I am using a bigger radiator I also need a longer intercooler than the 6.0L one I was going to use, so I bought one out of a 6.6L Duramax for $120, I'm still not sure if I am going to use it or get a bigger one that fits a bit better.

I also needed to buy motor mounts, as the 9.0L ones didn't work. They hit the starter and were to short to meet the frame with the DT466. Those cost me $100 used. I also bought an A/C compressor at the junk yard for $100 and mounts for $60. I'm not sure I'm going to end up using them because of space, but we will see.

Total Cost into the project so far: $1,442

Old 05-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #55
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Well I havent been able to work steady on the truck for a while so I have been doing alot of small things.

I got the engine mounted and bolted in place, I have the front cab mounts bolted in, the steeringbox back on, and I built a bracket for the powersteering pump and got it in place. I'm not crazy about it being mounted on top of the engine like that, but its the only place that made sense and I couldn't find a decent bracket at the junk yard that fit my pump. It is mounted on a hinge point so I can get a couple inches of belt tension out of it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Closed Thread