Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Towing and Hauling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Towing and Hauling Towing, hauling, hitches, and trailer discussion can be found here

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 05:03 AM   #1
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
5th wheel hithes

Bought a 5th wheel camper and trying to figure out my hitch options. I currently have the B&W gooseneck in the truck. What I'm wondering is if I'm better off getting the companion for the truck to hook the camper as is, or do a gooseneck conversion on the camper? The Reese goosebox, and Gen Y Executive are the two that seem popular. Crusader 360bhs model camper.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Old 01-07-2022, 05:26 AM   #2
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
Depending on the camper some manufactures say that if you convert it to Gooseneck it voids any manufacture warranty, not sure if you camper would be within warranty or not. If It was me I would get the companion for your B&W.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:46 AM   #3
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
I figure any warranty is gone, it's a '14. But from what I read, the goosebox has factory approval, claimed by some because both companies have the same ownership. My hangup with the companion is twofold, first my truck being shortbed, mean I can't do anything else with the companion in there. And secondly, if something happens to my truck and need someone else to move the camper, I can't think of anyone offhand I know with a fifth wheel setup, in, a bunch of people with gooseneck hitches in their trucks. Price seems pretty much a wash between either option.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:33 AM   #4
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Fifthwheel pulls better every day all day.
Secondly, if you get the companion, it’s gonna slip right in anyones truck that has a b&w.

I hate the way a gooseneck pulls vs a quality fifth wheel setup personally.

The companion slider could also be a nice option in your pocket being as you have a short bed depending on the design of your camper. Some styles certainly cut down on how sharp you can turn without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 01-07-2022, 07:05 AM   #5
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
Fifthwheel pulls better every day all day.
Secondly, if you get the companion, it’s gonna slip right in anyones truck that has a b&w.

I hate the way a gooseneck pulls vs a quality fifth wheel setup personally.

The companion slider could also be a nice option in your pocket being as you have a short bed depending on the design of your camper. Some styles certainly cut down on how sharp you can turn without it.

The shitty part is it kinda should have came with the slider model companion, but with this being purchased from a divorce, one side is being stupid and not letting the hitch go, trying to get me to buy it for $1500 extra, I can get a new one for that! I'll probably still try to make a deal on the hitch, but I'm not paying new price for a used hitch.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:50 AM   #6
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Sh1t, I think 1500 would buy a new slider even.

There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 01-07-2022, 07:55 AM   #7
PSUCE

Name: PSUCE
Member`s Gallery
That's a nice unit, we love ours. I have the BW Companion hitch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 01-07-2022, 08:17 AM   #8
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Sh1t, I think 1500 would buy a new slider even.

Yeah, think they're about $1550 on etrailer.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #9
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
So...we converted out GD 367BHS to a Goosebox before it left the dealer. GD honors their frame warranty with the Reece...and I think most OEM's do.

It's an air bag hitch and I haven't found the right pressure setting yet. Lots of chucking forward and rear on rough highways. On smooth surfaces it tows like glass.....but what doesn't? The pivot pin comes dry from the factory which is a design flaw to me. I might make a greasable pin for it. Also will most likely drill and tap a pressure gauge into the inflation block and replace that gay ass valve they use on it with a rigid valve.

I've considered selling it and buying a Gen-Y just for the fact that the Gen-Y is torsion and doesn't need the pressure checked before each tow. Zero maintenance and it has a lifetime warranty. You must get your actual loaded tongue weight and buy the correct hitch for that range though. They are massive, and heavy, and look silly under the trailer....but everything I own looks silly and I don't care if it does as long as it works for me.

I would like to find a Companion and toss in my truck and put my king pin box back on and compare the towing experience for a trip just to see if they are better. My biggest concern and reason to convert to a ball was that I swap trailers like some swap underwear. I don't want to have to get a lift to remove a heavy ass companion setup out of my truck everytime I get home with the RV and need to haul cattle or equipment the next day with the same truck.

The Anderson seems to be popular and the RV dealer pushed me towards that as hard as he could. I see how it takes all the movement out and is probably a great setup. It is the cheapest option, however, you STILL have to remove the riser out of the truck if you want to use your ball and that takes tools and time. They are light though. The guy said "it only takes like 5 mintues." I told him that 5 minutes in 100F+ or 25F is 5 minutes that I don't want to use.

Air seems great on paper. Adjustable. Soft. Etc. But with that comes movement, pressure checks, and maintenance. I've even though about putting an extra Tire Linc sensor on the bag so I can check the pressure with my One Connect App like I do the tires on the RV.

In conclusion, I think the best thing would be for every truck trailer combo to try all the hitches and see which one works for that particular setup because they are all going to be different. Problem is, that is impossible to do.

I started a thread here:

Chucking with BW Turn-Over Ball

Also there is a Goosebox Owners Group on Facebook I'd suggest you join if you go that route. Lots of info on there.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2592[1].jpg (88.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2593[1].jpg (94.4 KB, 0 views)

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 01-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #10
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
i like the fenders...btw..hows the soot from the stack to hijack Jakes shit cuz he always does...

as for the hitch..stay the most verstile..whichever works best

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 01-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #11
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Nice silver 3rd gen…

RIP Dex KCCO

Old 01-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #12
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Also to stay on subject.

I still CANNOT get behind the Anderson setup. I’m not a scientist, engineer, etc but I do not like setup. It just doesn’t seem safe to me.

RIP Dex KCCO

Old 01-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #13
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Here's the listed dry dimensions. Pretty sure it has at least one oversized tank, and miscellaneous contents would have the weight a little more. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:39 PM   #14
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Gooseneck for us. Simply because of the convenience. Any one of the trucks can hook to the camper and pull it.
There ain't a front end loader or box blade around here that doesn't have a 2 5/16 ball mounted to it for shuffling around trailers.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #15
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
thats gonna kill yer 2nd gen..probly break that rusty frame in half

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 01-07-2022, 02:57 PM   #16
J-Pipes

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
thats gonna kill yer 2nd gen..probly break that rusty frame in half
Shit, frame is fine! Body on the other hand is pretty soft! My old gooseneck was overall about the same size, and would gross about 20k lbs with two tractors and weights! This will be no problem 😊

Old 01-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #17
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
i like the fenders...btw..hows the soot from the stack to hijack Jakes shit cuz he always does...
Like I said before, I've yet to have to clean off the front cap. My truck doesn't soot. It burns really clean and I don't flog on it with the trailer. The only time I had any soot was when I washed my truck at the campsite and then started it in front of the trailer. A little black water and that was all. Hosed it off and it is still clean. Take you conspiracy theory elsewhere, hater.

Quote:
Nice silver 3rd gen…
Thanks, man. Wanna buy it? Joking. I love it...other than these 2nd gen fenders. Ready to get the mega fenders put on it so it looks better. I hate these. I can't reach over them into the bed. If I was 6' normal tall it would be different.

The Anderson is the only one that takes the slack out of the turn-over ball in the bed. It latches onto the ball then cranks up on it to secure the riser in the bed and that takes all the slop out....however, it does but pressure on everything. I think that might wear the pin that holds the ball in even faster than having just downward force. Who knows. My ball has lots of slop. It has hauled a million pounds over the years. ***insert "what she said" joke***

Old 01-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #18
Richter415

Name: Richter415
Member`s Gallery
I just sold my 5th wheel. I used a companion in a short box F350. To do it over again, I would use a goosebox just because that hitch is a pain in the ass to put in and out. Even with owning equipment to lift it into the bed its a pain.

Old 01-07-2022, 04:21 PM   #19
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Like I said before, I've yet to have to clean off the front cap. My truck doesn't soot. It burns really clean and I don't flog on it with the trailer. The only time I had any soot was when I washed my truck at the campsite and then started it in front of the trailer. A little black water and that was all. Hosed it off and it is still clean. Take you conspiracy theory elsewhere, hater.

Thanks, man. Wanna buy it? Joking. I love it...other than these 2nd gen fenders. Ready to get the mega fenders put on it so it looks better. I hate these. I can't reach over them into the bed. If I was 6' normal tall it would be different.
Nah I spent enough on the one I have now 😂

RIP Dex KCCO

Old 01-08-2022, 08:29 AM   #20
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
I would get a auto slide for a short box. Good used ones are about $500 around here.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Closed Thread