Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 10:32 PM   #1
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
Unibody into full frame car

Wild hair up my arse. Years ago some kid whacked me in my Jetta, totaled it (I walked away). Bought it back because the engine and drivetrain was still just fine. Figured I could part it out for more money. Well it’s still sitting here, we yanked the fenders off and go bomb it threw the Desart from time to time. I recently acquired a 1950 Oldsmobile, still has rocket 303 and 2 speed in it and my son and I got it running but I got to thinking it would be pretty slick to daily it with my little TDI hidden under the hood. Took some rough measurements and looks as if I could stuff it all in there without cutting the Oldsmobile up.

Guess my post is more of a question if someone has ever stuffed a FWD unibody drivetrain into a full framed car. In my brain I have it worked out but I’ll listen to all that everyone has to say in case I haven’t thought of something. I’d like to switch the struts out to bag system so I can drop it. Not sure what I’ll do with the rear axle. Original is a kinda four link system. I don’t have a problem leaving it there and just figuring out the brakes down the road. Or swap it with the dummy axle out of the Jetta?

Weight is nearly identical between the two cars. I’d hide all the electronics and leave the dash as original that won’t work for anything. It is a 5 speed so I’ll have to have the shifter but maybe I can make something cool for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:51 AM   #2
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I have an old falcon wagon with rotten floors. I have day dreamed of doing something similar, using the floor and chassis out of a modern car. The thought of not drifting the rear out on a clutch dump has to give you pause. They make adapters to Suzuki and Toyota trans for your tdi, as you already know.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
smokinVE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56cummins View Post
I have an old falcon wagon with rotten floors. I have day dreamed of doing something similar, using the floor and chassis out of a modern car. The thought of not drifting the rear out on a clutch dump has to give you pause. They make adapters to Suzuki and Toyota trans for your tdi, as you already know.
Meh, I have trucks for burn out. I drive about 80 miles each day for work. I miss my 45 mpg Jetta. if I could have some cool factor of daily driving a 1950 Oldsmobile that would be the bees knees in my opinion.

I’m not looking to make big power or any sort of a show car anything. Just a cool Old car I can jump in and drive, with “modern” AC. Probably piss some purists off messing with a crazy straight 50’s car ;-p.

Quote:
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:46 PM   #4
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Member`s Gallery
I had to bring up the rwd part. The two donors I have are an ion and a turbo saab, both fwd and 5spd stick. They do all a commuter needs. I would put way more miles on it with a turbo 4 banger than a v8. I should have invested in tdi's instead of ecotecs. Build it.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:01 PM   #5
smokinVE

Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.
Because I know you hillbilly’s like pictures. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Old 07-17-2022, 01:41 PM   #6
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 87DB6006-2F06-4E26-9164-CDAFD2BA764D.jpeg (813.5 KB, 0 views)

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:31 PM   #7
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Why even bother with drain pans to catch used oil? With no grass for miles, just let the dirt absorb it.
It came from the ground, it can go back in the ground.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 07-18-2022, 10:23 PM   #8
1320Cummins

Name: 1320Cummins
Title: 2G Collector
Member`s Gallery
how-dare-you-memes-7.jpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
Why even bother with drain pans to catch used oil? With no grass for miles, just let the dirt absorb it.
It came from the ground, it can go back in the ground.
You racist!!

Closed Thread