Trailer Project

n8ick

Electron Pimp
This summer my grandpa finally found me a decent trailer while he was at an auction. It looked tough, but was still pretty solid. He snatched it up cheap and my project began.

This is what I had to work with the day I picked it up at his place:

trailer_1.JPG

trailer_2.JPG

Before I towed it back to WI, I had to fix some wiring and disconnect the breakaway switch. That one had me cussin' for awhile. It dosent pull to easy with 3 wheels locked up.

On the ride through Chicago construction, I lost a couple short boards off the deck that were not secured too well. I wasn't about to stop to pick them up in that city.

I noticed on the ride home that this trailer pulled down the road as straight as an arrow. I couldn't make it sway back and forth even at 80mph.

I didn't really take any pictures in the middle of the project but can list all the stuff I did.

- Lots of wiring repairs and a new backing plate to fix brakes
- All new lights and rubber mounts
- Lots of grinding, welding, and straightening in various spots
- New custom jack handle
- New breakaway switch
- 6 or so brand new used wheels and tires
- Sandblasted and painted 8 rims
- A couple gallons of Massey Ferguson gray paint
- New treated 2x6 deck attached with hot dip galvanized hardware
- New load levelers and hardware on the springs (all greaseable)

New suspension hardware:

10-10-07_1746.jpg

This is how it looks today. Some idiot cut the last couple deck boards an inch too short. :kick:

DSCN0944.JPG

DSCN0943.JPG

DSCN0942.JPG

DSCN0941.JPG

DSCN0940.JPG

DSCN0939.JPG

The ramps are in process and will be finished soon. Future plans for this trailer are an electric jack and an 8000lb winch. I'll post more pics of that stuff when it gets installed.

Now that is a good looking trailer, definitely a diamond in the rough your Grandpa found.

2001shrtbedcmns said:
eager beaver is a good HEAVY trailer...how much you got in her so far?

What I roughly put into it so far:

Brakes - $100
Lights - $40
Lumber - $150
Deck Hardware - $50
Breakaway switch - $20
Paint & supplies - $150
Tires - $100
Suspension parts - $130
Welding wire, Torch gas, Hammer wear and tear, labor - Who knows?

Anything else I did was with parts I had laying around.

I think the curb weight on that thing is about 4200-4300lb empty.

it's a heavy beetch I know that...thems the trailers the dump trucks around here like to pull. How much did he get the trailer for?

Looks great Nick, from what you had told me about it earlier I was thinking it was a dual tandem, not a triple axle.

I see lots of sweat, and some great results of said sweat :woohoo:

Heres some food for thought. If I only plate the trailer for 10k, do I bother with the tape right now?

I wont usually be hauling any more than 10-12k. I have spent enough time and money on this project and would like to be a cheapskate for now.

I have a CDL and am supposed to know better, but the prices they charge for trailer over 10k and trucks over 8k is insane. I should install a porta-crapper in the tounge and call it an RV so I can do whatever I want.

Back