BMW 335D, thoughts?

Just thought I would chime in...

I have a 2011 335D that is tuned and deleted (egr, dpf, scr), and I absolutely love it! Probably around 315-330hp at the wheels, and I can get nearly 40 mpgs on the highway. Once you get the emissions crap taken care of, the car is actually pretty solid. There is an ever growing number of enthusiasts over on e90post.com, and vendors are constantly pushing new products. Bimmer Performance Center in Raleigh, NC makes some solid tunes for the M57.

I know where I can get a piled up 335d for pretty cheap, but nobody can standalone the ecm. I thought it'd be awesome in a 240z or something like that, maybe a 510.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I know where I can get a piled up 335d for pretty cheap, but nobody can standalone the ecm. I thought it'd be awesome in a 240z or something like that, maybe a 510.

I bought two engines from an auto parts supply house. How much is 'pretty cheap'?

You should be able to run a Bosch stand alone system on just about any engine right? I know they are not cheap, but it should be able to be made to work with the engine...

You should be able to run a Bosch stand alone system on just about any engine right? I know they are not cheap, but it should be able to be made to work with the engine...
Yeah, probably. I was hoping I could run the tranny and everything. I'd imagine finding anything else to bolt to it would be near impossible.

I think a TJ would be perfect for it to wind up in, but a nice handling car would work too!

A 335D looks like a nice upgrade from my ALH TDI...

Does the plastic intake get all clogged up like on the ALH engines with EGR? I doubt I could clean one out like I did on my ALH using fire and an air hose... lol

A 335D looks like a nice upgrade from my ALH TDI...

Does the plastic intake get all clogged up like on the ALH engines with EGR? I doubt I could clean one out like I did on my ALH using fire and an air hose... lol

Give it a try. I have a couple extras. They even have swirl flaps in there to get all plugged up. The best thing I've found to get rid of the crap is good old scalding hot pressurized water.

Sold the Jetta last week, the search for a 335d is on...

Alternatively, I just picked up a Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback for the wife. 2.0L, Loaded, AndroidAuto, and I'm super impressed with it. 35-40mpg regardless of driving style, very comfy, great fit/finish, extremely low maintenance cost, and we got it for pennies!

It's way nicer than the Dodge Dart, and Chevy Cruze we were looking at.

Sold the Jetta last week, the search for a 335d is on...

Cooool. We almost pulled the trigger on and '11. Unreal power and smooth as silk. Dang trans had a shutter in the 3-4 shift and I couldn't get the dealer to stand good for it. They were just a chevy dealer and someone had traded this car in, obviously.

I wouldn't buy one unless it was for nothing more than a donor engine, wiring, and controller. Everything else is just a regular refined car that costs stupid money to make repairs on.

BMW 3.0L diesel (M57) fitted in a cabin cruiser, first start. - YouTube

I absolutely love the M-57

My dad has a 2011 335d bought it used with 55K now has almost 90K. Carbon cleaned, EGR block off, swirl valve delete, and CCV catch can (not a small wimpy one that most use) at 78Kish. Overall great car still have a couple of things to get rid of though.

BTW when cleaning the intake a pressure washer hooked up to your hot water heater works great.

Most of the guys seem to prefer using walnut media blasting to clean the intakes, what BMW recommends anyway.

My Audi had the same issue. I let the valves soak in brake clean for 20min, then went at them with a pick and an air gun to blow it out. It worked really well.

I then blocked off the PCV from the intake (pre and post turbo) and routed it to my exhaust. Never had an issue.
I actually would drain a quart of gross oily stuff out of my intercoolers every six months or so.

Back