Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #12441
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
MXS valve cover base?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #12442
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
C18, Cyclone machine ductile iron liners with C rings. 2-HX82's that were SmokingCat's idea so it's his fault if they don't work. It's basically snowballed into a giant hole I've shoveled money in since November. It should move under its own power tomorrow. Then it's off to get deckplate bent and a few stainless panels. Then hopefully it can hook to a trailer and get the piss ran out of it.

Lots of potential bugs with a complete truck build. Stripped down and frame blasted and painted, hood repaint, new exhaust, front and rear bumpers, Hoge radius fenders, engine swap with everything Cummins related burned at the stake. New aluminum 5th wheel, complete drum to disk brake swap. There are very few parts on this truck that you could order off the VIN anymore.

Not to mention lots of shiny stuff. Click the image to open in full size.
If you would have hoarded those internal parts any longer I was thinking we were gonna have to get you on that TV show.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #12443
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
C18, Cyclone machine ductile iron liners with C rings. 2-HX82's that were SmokingCat's idea so it's his fault if they don't work. It's basically snowballed into a giant hole I've shoveled money in since November. It should move under its own power tomorrow. Then it's off to get deckplate bent and a few stainless panels. Then hopefully it can hook to a trailer and get the piss ran out of it.

Lots of potential bugs with a complete truck build. Stripped down and frame blasted and painted, hood repaint, new exhaust, front and rear bumpers, Hoge radius fenders, engine swap with everything Cummins related burned at the stake. New aluminum 5th wheel, complete drum to disk brake swap. There are very few parts on this truck that you could order off the VIN anymore.

Not to mention lots of shiny stuff. Click the image to open in full size.
Why ductile liners? I heard they are hell on rings.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #12444
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Because that is one of the few materials that will stand up to having a groove cut into it for a stainless fire ring.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #12445
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
If you would have hoarded those internal parts any longer I was thinking we were gonna have to get you on that TV show.

No kidding. Was kind of a job finding everything since it sat so long. Couldn't find the perfect transplant truck so was going to order a glider but finally found one close to what I wanted. Was going to drive it lastnight but put the wrong power steering pump on. Have to pay attention to those rotation arrows. Lol
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #12446
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
air starters for sal eon another forum...anyone need em?

For sale I have 2 Ingersoll-Rand Vane Air starting motors. Both these motors were used together to start a 20 cylinder Electro-Motive Diesel engine driven generator. They were used to start that engine a total of 4 times over a 2 year period. They were removed after a facility inventory showed the paper work for these starters had been lost. After that, they were removed and two replacement starters were purchased new. I believe they are 35hp each, and have a maximum inlet pressure of 200psi (see pics). These starters have re-manufactured labels on them from IR (see pics again). These are listed locally on CL Chicago. I have no idea what shipping would be, but these things are heavy and would much prefer to make another arrangement. Contact info is in the CL add so please ask me any questions you may have.

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...
Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #12447
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
loaded this one today...I load tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trk.jpg (583.9 KB, 0 views)

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...
Old 03-30-2017, 06:16 AM   #12448
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Spotted this at the local port thismornin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170330_071324.jpg (128.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #12449
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Because that is one of the few materials that will stand up to having a groove cut into it for a stainless fire ring.
Are you thinning down the fire ring or keeping it the same thickness? Standard or dykes? I'm not even sure a dykes ring can be used on a diesel.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #12450
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Are you thinning down the fire ring or keeping it the same thickness? Standard or dykes? I'm not even sure a dykes ring can be used on a diesel.

Not sure what your asking. The stock fire ring is cut from the OEM headgasket and the liners have groove cut for spring loaded sealing rings. Can't do this to stock liners because the flanges will crack. The question is if these will work in a road truck since the liners are potentially harder than the piston rings, time will tell.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #12451
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's ye olde clunker

02 t800 powered by a bk60 12.7. Alpine green forever!

I've always wondered if it's worth or even possible to upgrade to the newer style monotherm one piece pistons.

Anyways it has an 8309 cam, 7650 injectors (might upgrade to 5915 or 7014).171701 borg warner with the 71mm inducer. I find it works better than the 75mm inducer, matches the operating range (1500 to 1700) of the motor and spools up faster than the larger turbo that everyone seems to use.

Leon smith tuned it but I took out fuel when I went to the smaller turbo. I also tightened the smoke maps some as I don't need as much to spool.

Has anyone here played with water methanol injection? I've looked in the software and have figured out a good way to have the ecm control everything.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #12452
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Just because I'm ignorant, what application would ductile iron liners be used?

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 04-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #12453
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Not sure what your asking. The stock fire ring is cut from the OEM headgasket and the liners have groove cut for spring loaded sealing rings. Can't do this to stock liners because the flanges will crack. The question is if these will work in a road truck since the liners are potentially harder than the piston rings, time will tell.
I completely misread what you said and thought you were talking about the top ring in the piston. Thanks for the response though, cool stuff.

I'm pretty sure you need a stainless top ring or coated liners. The problem with coated liners is some can't withstand any sulfur at all.

So your liners are o ringed?

Last edited by allan5oh; 04-04-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #12454
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
Just because I'm ignorant, what application would ductile iron liners be used?

Chris
More like what application do you want to run a stainless top ring? Ductile iron liners usually follows. One application is extreme cylinder pressure and heat. Top fuel, or say some crazy guy building an insane c18.

The other application is where every hp counts. These guys want the thinnest lowest tension ring possible. Then they also have a dry sump and there's ways to modify the piston (gas ports) or rings (dykes rings). Think Nascar. No idea how well any of this works for diesels which is why I was asking. The tension is so low on these if you spun the engine over by hand you would swear there's no rings! Only when there's combustion do the rings push against the cylinder wall.

In the case of this guy's c18 im going to make some assumptions. First it's common with all high performance diesels to have head gasket issues. The fix involves running more than factory liner protrusion and making sure they're all the same. A real PITA. But it gets to the point where you're either cracking heads from too much protrusion or blowing head gaskets from not enough.

One option is to run an oring setup. But you can't do that with cast liners like the guy said earlier because they crack. So then you upgrade to ductile iron to handle the process. The added benefit is that ductile iron is harder. The liners are also spun cast so the grain is perfectly controlled unlike regular cast liners.

Last edited by allan5oh; 04-04-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #12455
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Here's ye olde clunker

I've always wondered if it's worth or even possible to upgrade to the newer style monotherm one piece pistons.

Anyways it has an 8309 cam, 7650 injectors (might upgrade to 5915 or 7014).171701 borg warner with the 71mm inducer. I find it works better than the 75mm inducer, matches the operating range (1500 to 1700) of the motor and spools up faster than the larger turbo that everyone seems to use.

Leon smith tuned it but I took out fuel when I went to the smaller turbo. I also tightened the smoke maps some as I don't need as much to spool.

Has anyone here played with water methanol injection? I've looked in the software and have figured out a good way to have the ecm control everything.

I would rather have monotherm Pistons than mess with water/meth. Water is just a crutch for alum skirts.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #12456
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I would rather have monotherm Pistons than mess with water/meth. Water is just a crutch for alum skirts.
That's a good point but the pikes peak 2400 hp drinks a lot of booze. I remember reading they added 400 hp with it.

I know you can run a much tighter piston to wall. No idea if they would drop in or if they work with n2 injectors.

Any idea how much more they can be pushed? I don't like going over 1000 on the Pyro.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #12457
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Only seen one burnt ever and it was because of a bad injector. Seen several cracked but thats just Cummins junk. Seen one of my Cat's 1300+ in manifold and ran like that for years and have had no heat related marks when torn down. If you want cooler temps you need a bigger turbo or turbos. IMO If you need water injection that's not a workable power level. I wouldn't use pikes peak as a baseline for a work truck.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #12458
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
The problem with going with a bigger turbo is its less efficient cruising on flat ground. Plus it sucks spooling when it's hot out. That's why I went from 75mm to 71mm. This current turbo works great most of the year. Also with the 75mm I had high egts just cruising on flat ground when it was hot out. I will have to check my notes but 800 sounds right.

I'm also thinking of doing a vnt. Not the egr 60 series ones though.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #12459
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Here's ye olde clunker

Where you located Allan? In from Lundar.....

Just had my 94 w9 tuned by Erich at serious series 60 with fresh inframe. Having issues with smoke on startup can't seem to find the problem. But pulls good. No real mileage results yet. 4292 cam and 7915 injectors I put instead of stock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #12460
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The problem with going with a bigger turbo is its less efficient cruising on flat ground. Plus it sucks spooling when it's hot out. That's why I went from 75mm to 71mm. This current turbo works great most of the year. Also with the 75mm I had high egts just cruising on flat ground when it was hot out. I will have to check my notes but 800 sounds right.

I'm also thinking of doing a vnt. Not the egr 60 series ones though.

The 75 seems to be a good turbo for the Detroit. Not sure why you were having heat issues unless your gearing is wrong and your lugging it. Your referring to the 75/96 Borg with 1.32? I don't do a lot with Detroits but they seem to preform the same as the other smaller motors with that charger like the C12. I've just noticed some guys like to drive their 750hp+ trucks like a 450 and keep RPM low for fuel mileage. Then they wonder why they don't survive.