1st Gen In Ford Bus

dbshelton

OK, I've been driving the 1996 Ford Shuttle Bus for a year or so and think maybe it could use a little more power. It runs great, but I wonder what the next step would be. Current configuration: 1991.5 intercooled 12 valve, HE351 turbo, Hungry Diesel fuel pin, 3200 Governor springs, 60# valve springs, 4" exhaust, stock lift pump and injectors, 5R110 Ford automatic trans, 3.73 rear gears, 13,200 pounds loaded. The thing is shaped like a brick, so it gets about 12-13 mpg. Still have a M & H timing spacer I never installed.
Are a little larger injectors next? Just asking for ideas and tips. I don't want to screw up things.

Thanks. Guess I need to look into tuning this thing. Is there a good set of instructions on turning the VE pump up? Found something on Dodgeram.org.

Last edited:
Is the need for more fuel the reason why even with the boost elbow closed off I can only get 20# of boost?
Curious, how much horsepower will the stock injectors support?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with ve pumps but I assume there's a banjo bolt on fuel line to pump. Drill the bolt for 1/8 plug and get your reading there. Read up on fuel pressure gauge installations. You'll need a snubber valve to absorb the fuel pulsations. The gauge doesn't need to be mounted permanently.

Last edited:
I'll look into that. Also been wanting to replace the lift pump with a piston type one. May also do that now. Thanks.

How did you reconfigure the wastegate on your he351? Sometimes lack of boost is a wastegate needing adjustment.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 64.5sxe
90 d350

I would suggest using shop air to actuate your wategste and test your system for boost leaks. At 20 psi what is your egt? What does your smoke trail look like?

90 d350

I would suggest using shop air to actuate your wategste and test your system for boost leaks. At 20 psi what is your egt? What does your smoke trail look like?

90 d350

I'll check this out, but pretty sure there are no leaks.
Now I don't get any smoke at all unless I let the rpm drop too low in 5th and try to accelerate and that goes away quickly when the boost builds.
Never seen EGT over 1100

That might just be all the fuel your pump settings are pushing then . That egt and no smoke means your pretty much burning all your putting out. You could turn the pump up quite a bit before you hit dangerous get levels.

90 d350

Just took the bus on a 2,000 mile trip. It was great until the for the first 1,400 miles, then the HE351 turbo took a crap. Does anyone know where I can buy a new Holset turbo reasonably?

Back