Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #21
ndaniels

Name: ndaniels
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
My only thought is the fact it doesn't have a sprung hub would make the triple a harder on the trans.

I've run Dans triple in my current tuck for a little while and honestly it shifted faster than the dual disc. Engagement got a little rougher than what I wanted as it broke in, and finally I decided one morning to pull it back out (I tow some).

I replaced it with a steet dual disc from Peter- I've ran those before in my old second gens and they're great for towing and can hold some decent power. If I go any bigger in hp, my only choice for my truck would be the triple tho.

That triple is an awesome clutch and a really impressive piece. If I didn't tow and want better street manners, I'd still have it in the truck. For me and my type of driving the dual disc is perfect.

For you, I think the triple would be a better fit imho. I'm thinking ceramic dual disc should be worse on engagement and clutch life expectancy wouldn't be as good as the triple.

2007.5 2500 quadcab, 2wd, G56, SouthBend sdd, 625s, Exergy 10mm cp3 w/60% overs, cast 467.7/83/.9, BD inline brake, Hamilton 103 springs w/e.duty pushrods, Caltracs 743/1502 on old tuning

Old 12-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #22
BRE

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
This is why I say I have to keep towing in mind.
Yes the truck typically doesn't move from m-f unless I just get the urge to drive it, but it still needs to do truck things.
Keep in mind, this truck (if the stars align correctly and who knows when) will be 650hp tops.
I'd rather go with a dual disk and replace it every now and then, than put a triple in and hate the truck. Or vise versa etc.
I just have a huge feeling in my gut, the street dual disk with organic disks, will not last with me behind it.
Click the image to open in full size.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-03-2016, 09:55 PM   #23
ndaniels

Member`s Gallery
Man, seeing you really use your truck for towing and 650ish is where you're planning on ending up, I would just go with a steet dual disc. I know I wouldn't really be happy with towing and that triple. I could make it work but it'd be a pia. If a full ceramic dual disc engaged the same or worse, forget it...

I mean how hard are you on clutches, really?

2007.5 2500 quadcab, 2wd, G56, SouthBend sdd, 625s, Exergy 10mm cp3 w/60% overs, cast 467.7/83/.9, BD inline brake, Hamilton 103 springs w/e.duty pushrods, Caltracs 743/1502 on old tuning

Last edited by ndaniels; 12-03-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #24
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Clutch questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaniels View Post
Man, seeing you really use your truck for towing and 650ish is where you're planning on ending up, I would just go with a steet dual disc. I know I wouldn't really be happy with towing and that triple. I could make it work but it'd be a pia.

I don't foresee a ceramic dual being any better than the triple though... however that's why I'm asking these questions.

I'd love to just buy an organic dual but I know I'll fawk it up in short order...
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Last edited by BRE; 12-03-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #25
ndaniels

Member`s Gallery
Just saw you are considering sled pulling some possibly..... you're screwed. Lol

Going to have to have a grabby clutch either way if you want it to last.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #26
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaniels View Post
Just saw you are considering sled pulling some possibly..... you're screwed. Lol

Going to have to have a grabby clutch either way if you want it to last.

This is where I'm beating my head on the wall. Hahaha.
The truck may never get pulled, but I basically wanna have the option.
I know clutches are give and take, just don't know where I should give and take with my exact scenario. Lol

I have this bad problem where I like to over do things for those moments that I take a notion to do some stupid burnout or, that stupid truck pull, or that stupid hey watch this moment.... I like to be prepared for what I call "me".
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #27
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Ceramic on one side and organic/feramic on the other on my 3250. It's been slipped a bunch. Still holding well with decent manners.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #28
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
My 3850 was god awful towing. Go or no go. Slipping it at all under 2000rpm meant lots and lots of jumping. Needless to say my dash had a few cracks

North American Turbo

Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #29
ndaniels

Member`s Gallery
My thought is with the extra discs of the triple you should have better engagement and the ability to better modulate the clutch when you need to over a dual competition clutch.. call Dan and let us know what he thinks, cause now I'm curious!

I could live with the triple if I had to...the one truck I've driven with a competition dual disc I couldn't. Plate load was a lot higher and taking off smoothly was damn near impossible. With the triple I could take off smoothly. The triples pedal effort was even lighter than stock and lighter than my street dual.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #30
Valair1

Name: Valair1
Title: Valair Inc. Clutch
Member`s Gallery
I'd do the street dual ceramic, also I only recommend a triple for trucks making over 750 hp, they are a solid hub design and not designed for extended idling, but if your over 750 hp and in a manual, a dual won't last long, but neither will the tranny lol

Valair Performance Series Clutches

Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #31
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Well, the man has spoke. Decision made... I gotta call you guys first of next week anyhow. Might just order it then.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-07-2016, 05:44 AM   #32
12valvetater

Name: 12valvetater
Member`s Gallery
For what it's worth I have Kenny's ceramic double in my pickup and I couldn't be happier. It isn't terribly jumpy other than in reverse with a heavy trailer. I'm at 450/1100 I know that's not the 650 you are wanting but this is the best holding nicest driving clutch I've ever had and the smoothest of all the doubles I've driven. I haven't sled pulled but it's been through 4wd launches in the field grossing at 30k, spinning tires through 3rd on pavement at that weight, and lots of 4th gear burnouts. It has some clutch rattle but nothing like some of thr others I've been around.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #33
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Member`s Gallery
Idk how my southbend 3250 has lasted as long as it has... SF hills beat this poor thing up. I'm most likely going with a street dual disk again. I like the crispness of a dual disk if that makes any sense.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #34
jwbeggs

Name: jwbeggs
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valair1 View Post
I'd do the street dual ceramic, also I only recommend a triple for trucks making over 750 hp, they are a solid hub design and not designed for extended idling, but if your over 750 hp and in a manual, a dual won't last long, but neither will the tranny lol
What is your opinion on the driving characteristics of a triple versus a ceramic dual disc? I have read that triples are a lot smoother, and have a lot lighter pedal. Would you say this is true?
I have a couple buddies that are trying to convince me to go sintered iron instead of a triple. Being a high HP street truck not a sled puller I'm really skeptical on that option.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:30 PM   #35
99 7.3

Name: 99 7.3
Member`s Gallery
I like my dual disc valair. I can't remember the particulars on it, but I wouldn't go back. Even if its grabby and makes noise.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #36
Valair1

Name: Valair1
Title: Valair Inc. Clutch
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbeggs View Post
What is your opinion on the driving characteristics of a triple versus a ceramic dual disc? I have read that triples are a lot smoother, and have a lot lighter pedal. Would you say this is true?
I have a couple buddies that are trying to convince me to go sintered iron instead of a triple. Being a high HP street truck not a sled puller I'm really skeptical on that option.
The triple does have better street manners than the dual, however unless your over 750 hp I would stick with the street dual because of the solid hubs in the triple.

Valair Performance Series Clutches

Old 02-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #37
cerickson

Name: cerickson
Title: fullpull108
Member`s Gallery
Rick did you get the clutch yet? Asking because I'm looking at selling my 02 6 SPD and getting a newer 6 SPD. Wanting to get into an 07 to maybe 10 2500 or 3500. I'm wanting to get a manual trans over the auto being the only option is the 68re or aisin. I'm looking at EFI and clutch for now upgrade on the performance side. I'm just old school and prefer shifting. A clutch is cheaper than a rebuilt auto.

Mine: 2008 Dodge 3500 megacab 4x4 drw 6 SPD stick. Anarchy EFI, Flo Pro egr delete, 5" straight pipe, Edge cts2

Wifes: 2006 Dodge 3500 megacab 4X4 drw goerend auto, 4 inch straight pipe, S&B cai, FASS 150 pump, EFI live by Anarchy

Old 02-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #38
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerickson View Post
Rick did you get the clutch yet? Asking because I'm looking at selling my 02 6 SPD and getting a newer 6 SPD. Wanting to get into an 07 to maybe 10 2500 or 3500. I'm wanting to get a manual trans over the auto being the only option is the 68re or aisin. I'm looking at EFI and clutch for now upgrade on the performance side. I'm just old school and prefer shifting. A clutch is cheaper than a rebuilt auto.

Yes sir, I've had it. It's still sitting in the box in the floor like it has for the past 1.5 months.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 AM   #39
BlackBetty6.7

Name: BlackBetty6.7
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I put in a quiet dual disk a couple months ago on my 2015 and can hardly hear the clutch at idle. I changed the tranny fluid also. Guess I got lucky with the noise.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #40
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty6.7 View Post
I put in a quiet dual disk a couple months ago on my 2015 and can hardly hear the clutch at idle. I changed the tranny fluid also. Guess I got lucky with the noise.

With a quiet one, it's gonna be fairly quiet. The last one of dans I put in was essentially silent.
RIP Dex KCCO

Closed Thread