2nd water pump in 30K

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
Lost my first water pump @ 45K miles on my 2012 dually. I replaced the water pump and belt since I had deleted the emissions crap, I didn't bother bringing it to the dealer to hassle with them over warranty.

Now 1.5 years later @ 75K miles I lost my second water pump.

Is my engine just a water pump eating machine? Or could the possibility of a under lying issue cause this? Or pure coincidence? I replaced the factory unit with parts from Napa. This time from advance auto.

I did not do a belt tensioner either time seeing that the tension felt good and I didn't have a squeaking belt....other then the occasional cold morning start that had a squeak for a few minutes then stops.

Personal opinion here, but might be worth it to just change the tensioner if it is squeaking and you're having issues with the water pump as well. My 2010 has 136k on it and the tensioner doesn't squeak at all except for at shut off like nearly every Cummins ever stuck in a Dodge once it's got some age to it.

Theres something going on with the newer water pumps on the rams. Not sure what it is but we probably replace 3-5 a week. Some trucks we've replaced them multiple times.

It's the hub actually coming apart. First one the hub came off the shaft in two pieces. The second one felt like it was about to come apart it was very loose from the shaft.

Now we are stuck on the side of the road. After install of new water pump we added coolant and headed back to work. Made it maybe 5 min down the road and coolant temp hit 245. I pulled over and noticed the top rad hose was rock hard and the thermostat wasn't opening. I'm letting it cool down now and hoping once we add more coolant that the thermostat will open and cycle the fresh coolant.

with the truck off,,take out the coolant temperature sensor next to the thermostat housing,fill the radiator until coolant come out from the hole,put sensor back,start truck and top it with coolant,this is how i always done it,works every time

Have you tried a Gates brand water pump?

Also sounds like you have air in the system. Pull that sensor or a plug near the top of the head to bleed the air.

Last edited:
Got the air out and it took another 2+ gallons to fill it up!! Wow....I completely forgot to get the air out. I was so in a hurry to get back to work because of being behind schedule that I just rushed past some very important things.

Thanks for the info guys!

And no I haven't tried a gates yet. But I will buy a spare to keep in the truck.

I used a gates WP and it failed in less then 12k. Nothing but cummins oem for me from now on. Gates was 35 off amazon, cummins was like 150 so I guess you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Well my factory Cummins unit lasted 45k....That isn't saying much for factory expensive parts.

I agree with oem cummins pump. Chain store pumps don't last long.

Is the water pump different than the 5.9's? Didn't think that changed on the 6.7's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back