Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
texastruck

Name: texastruck
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
12 valve into 2005 F150

I just got my 12 valve and 47rh tranny pulled from a 1994 Dodge. Was wondering if I'll need the wiring harness from the truck. I was starting to remove the loom just in case I need it, but once it goes into the cab it is a MESS and is causing a lot of frustration. I plan on getting a Compushift Mini to control TC and OD on the tranny. I could use an external voltage regulator for the alternator, is there anything else I might need the Dodge wiring harness for, or can I wire everything into the Ford's? I plan on keeping A/C, Lights, Radio and such. Thanks

Oh and while I'm at it, here's a list of everything I've removed from the Dodge that I'm considering using in my swap:

Cummins 12 valve
Dodge alternator
47RH 2wd transmission
In-tank fuel module
Dodge PCM
Accelerator pedal assembly
Throttle cable
Intercooler and hoses
Radiator and hoses
Transmission cooler (its in bad shape, may have replace anyway)

Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Exodus

Name: Exodus
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
If you're using the ford dash, you need adapters for the senders to fit the 12v holes and be using the ford harness. I would keep the harness just in case.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
ok thanks

Old 04-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Exodus

Name: Exodus
Member`s Gallery
post lots of pics. this sounds like a cool swap. I've only seen a 4bt fit into one of these trucks.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Ghostman

Name: Ghostman
Title: 24v crazy
Member`s Gallery
Could look into the Anteater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
VE vs VP....isn't that like watching retard's fight?

Old 04-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Member`s Gallery
Like stated above, use the ford harness and adapt the sensors to fit into the cummins. Example: your coolant temp sensor just wants to read temperature, it doesn't know/care what engine it's stuck into. Sounds like a cool swap for sure! Let's see some pics!

Last edited by Meyers Farms; 04-15-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
Could look into the Anteater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I talked to it's builder/designer when doing a swap for the father in laws 88 GMC...basically, for a 47RH, it will be spendy to get an Anteater up and running.

I went with the CompuShift Mini....I forget the guys name now, but ABSOLUTELY STELLAR service. Tell him what you have and he build the harness to match. Controller takes a little tweaking, but it works as advertised. Bruce might be his name.

If Brandon or the Anteater guys want to correct me, they are welcome to...I didn't research it beyond that.
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 04-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #8
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for all your input guys. And don't worry, I'm taking lots of pictures of the teardown. I'll post once I get some real progress done. Right now the engine is off the hoist onto a stand. Going to do some basic housekeeping on it. KDP fix, clean/paint. Plan on running either 370 marine injectors, or 5x14 if I can justify the extra cost. I'm thinking of advancing the timing to maybe to 16 or 17 degrees while the timing cover is off. I'll have to do more research on that.

This project definitely going to take some time, after I'm done with the Cummins, I'll move on to rebuilding the 47rh with a new single disc TC. I'm thinking Goerend. Not sure if I'll need to invest in billet flexplate and input. But we'll see.

Then it's on to working on the divorced NP205. I have the seal kit sitting here waiting to go in. Bearings look fine so I'll leave them alone.

My Dana 60 is out of a 2007 Super Duty, so it's ready for coils already, just going to make some new radius arms. Stock ones are too bulky.

I still need to find a Sterling 10.5 for the rear, but I have time, and those shouldn't be too hard to find.

So yeah, I'll be busy for a while. The electrical stuff is the only thing I know I'll need help on, even with something as simple as a 12 valve. I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #9
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
And Signature600, thank you for sharing your experience with the CompuShift Mini. Good to hear it works as advertised.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #10
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Do the input shaft....it takes parts with it when it breaks. Use either the flexplate or the output shaft as a fuse, they are cheaper to fix.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 04-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #11
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
Gotcha. So leave flexplate as the weak point. Thanks.

I'll be tackling the timing advance as soon as I settle on a method and gather the tools. I'm thinking of cobbling together my own kit like in the attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (105).png (297.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by texastruck; 04-16-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Closed Thread