Interesting conversation I just had...discuss

UNBROKEN

Ezekiel 25:17
My truck started making oil a while back. I haven't had time to mess with it untill now...anyway when it started making oil I automatically assumed cracked injector....so I've been injector shopping.

What was discussed a minute ago were the symptoms of a cracked injector...IE...rough start, haze or smoke at idle, things like that. My truck does none of those things. Starts and drives fine with no haze.
I was informed it could also be the shaft seal on the CP3 causing it to make oil....the thought never even crossed my mind.

What's y'alls experience with either/or when making oil ?

This could potentially save me a few grand if it's the CP3 and not the injectors because I would refuse to replace only 1....I'd do a new set of 6.

I'm not opposed to spending money....btu I wanna spend it in the right place.

I would definitely check the cp3 shaft seal. If it is the shaft seal that's leaking, there should be no black engine oil residue around the seal when you remove the pump from the engine.

Last edited:
Never heard of the CP3 seal. TJ's dads truck made oil twice. No symptoms other than the oil/fuel mix pouring out the blow by tube.

Making oil

Could be antifreeze in the oil. You need an oil test so you know what you are dealing with.

It's not antifreeze. NO milkshakes in my oil....just some really, really thin oil. LOL

id do an oil analysis, and send the injectors to someone like m&d in houston to get them checked out, before dropping money on all new stuff. i had one go out and had none of the issues you stated, just got more oil.

I have ran across it a couple of times on duramaxs I have worked on at the dealer. Found it by changing oil first then running oil dye in the fuel for an hour. Pull pump and check with black light. This is rare when I have seen it. Only about 2 or 3 times in about 10 years. When they did leak it would slowly make oil and only notice about 2 qts over filled in 5k mi. Hope this helps.

To test for cracked injectors just take the valve cover off and run the engine... Disconnect the FCA and you will find any leak from the offending injector/s... Whole test takes about 15 minutes and one whole beer...

Something else to ponder...
I had noticed rail pressure was lower in the days leading up to finding the crank case level rising AND I checked the oil level when I left the country, didn't mark it but I swear it's higher now than when I left...truck hasn't been started or anything for a month.
Is it my imagination or did more fuel come from somewhere ? If so...where?

To test for cracked injectors just take the valve cover off and run the engine... Disconnect the FCA and you will find any leak from the offending injector/s... Whole test takes about 15 minutes and one whole beer...

That's on my list to do Thursday morning. I hate unplugging that damned thing...freaks me out every time. LOL

I am going to have to remember this one.

probably not... ever seen what water in oil looks like?

When I had antifreeze in my oil, the oil on the stick was fine. Pulling the plug in the pan yielded coolant draining out first followed by oil. If you drain the oil out of the engine(which you should anyway) you will see if you have antifreeze in it.

If it was the cp3 seal, the oil level should rise just by running the lift pump.

Did that first thing just to see. Nothing but oil in there.

I don't see a problem then. It actually looks like a great thing you have. You have your own oil production facility! Of course I guess your statement of "Nothing but oil in there" just means it was just absent of antifreeze.:lolly:

If it was the cp3 seal, the oil level should rise just by running the lift pump.

Yet another test that's easy to run. Thanks Glen.

I actually hope it's not the CP3. I want bigger injectors to go with the dual pump kit I bought today and the dual PRV kit I'm getting from Todd. Sounds like more fun than replacing a pump. LOL

all this cracking injector, leaky CP3 stuff really makes me not want a common rail. LOL sorry Rich, nothing useful to offer here for advice, just thinking out loud