Running rough - Delivery Valve Loose

diesel_importer

I have a 97 12v that was running perfect, sat for a month, cranked it up - and it had a bad miss. Found it to be #3 and #5 cylinders. Both 3 and 5 have loose delivery valve holders.

I removed both of them along with #4 to compare, and everything looked ok. When i tighten them up, they screw down further than all the rest. Cranked the engine over, and the pump screeches badly. Loosen them and it cranks normal.

Has this happened to anybody? I'm pretty sure something is cracked or broken, allowing them to be burid further than normal, just don't know where to go from here.

Brett

actually Forrest, I don't think it has copper washers. I got frustrated and left the shop, so I didn't tear into it anymore.

found a rebuilt pump with 10k on it, bigger delivery valves and 4gsk. asking 800. Prob take 700 though. Sound like a decent price?

What pump? 160 175 180 190 215? Either way, rebuilt with 10k is pretty good. I paid 500 for my 100k mile 180 pump.

908 . It came from M&D Distributors, and was on a 95 manual. It's a 175 or 180 I think.

I have a 97 12v that was running perfect, sat for a month, cranked it up - and it had a bad miss. Found it to be #3 and #5 cylinders. Both 3 and 5 have loose delivery valve holders.

I removed both of them along with #4 to compare, and everything looked ok. When i tighten them up, they screw down further than all the rest. Cranked the engine over, and the pump screeches badly. Loosen them and it cranks normal.

Has this happened to anybody? I'm pretty sure something is cracked or broken, allowing them to be burid further than normal, just don't know where to go from here.

Brett

Probably a stupid question but, how did you pick out the cylinders mis firing?

just an update in case anyone runs in to this: The pump had 2 cracked "delivery valve holders" not sure what you call that part. I removed the delivery valve, and found the bore they sit in was cracked in half. Then took off the 2 nuts holding it in the pump and removed the pieces. I will be getting the pump rebuilt.

just an update in case anyone runs in to this: The pump had 2 cracked "delivery valve holders" not sure what you call that part. I removed the delivery valve, and found the bore they sit in was cracked in half. Then took off the 2 nuts holding it in the pump and removed the pieces. I will be getting the pump rebuilt.

Thats the plunger and barrel assembly.

Excessive water in fuel will cause that damage. Best be pulling apart your complete fuel system !!!!!

Thats the plunger and barrel assembly.

^This. The barrel specifically

How tight did you torque the dv holders?

I had a friend buy a 95 with the same problem. pulled the delivery valve and seen the barrel was cracked..Im wondering how it happens.. How would water cause it?? Not being a smarta$$ honestly asking..

The only thing i can think of is that because diesel is an oil base it also works as a lubricant where water, not being a lubricant, will create friction and overheat the area causing it to crack. I have heard of this before and that is the only thing i could think of

I had a friend buy a 95 with the same problem. pulled the delivery valve and seen the barrel was cracked..Im wondering how it happens.. How would water cause it?? Not being a smarta$$ honestly asking..

The only thing i can think of is that because diesel is an oil base it also works as a lubricant where water, not being a lubricant, will create friction and overheat the area causing it to crack. I have heard of this before and that is the only thing i could think of

Poor castings cause it, even though the Germans would never admit to having any flaws :lolly:. The b&p would seize long before it created enough heat and/or friction to crack the barrel.

thanks for the info.

Yea, I don't think water would cause this. It might cause scarring from less lubrication but not breaking the barrel in half.

I bought the truck, had a few issues -Water pump, brake lines, etc. Got all that stuff repaired, and put back together. Cranked it up and WALA! My truck is missing on 2 cylinders and this is what I find. I had never touched the fuel system.

It sucks pretty badly that I've had this truck for over 4 months and prob. only put 800 miles on it. I bought a recently rebuilt pump with 4k gsk, and delivery valves. It turned out to be a nightmare. Leaks oil from the rack plug and misses on cylinder 1.
3e6d1ff4.jpg

Ive had the same thing happen, barrels (did it on #2 and #5) split in half!

006-1.jpg

Mine started out as in intermittent low rpm stutter. I just kept driving it because i didnt much care about it...

Then one day i fired it up and #5 was completely dead, thats when i started looking at the thing and found the same as you. DV holder was loose and spun a long was down before it tightened up. not cool...