8.3L ISC DPF Delete tune????

jimdawg185

I have a customer that would love to have his DPF removed. I did some research and I am not sure what to do. Do any of ya'll know much about the companies that do this for export and off road uses like dpfracing.com.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWEFld4lEMo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWEFld4lEMo[/ame]
This seems to be one way to do it.

This poor guy has no idea what he has done or how the regen systems works. He just lost a good filter. I do not like the systems neither but If you want it removed this is not the way. Once the DOC or DPF crack, or have holes in them. the truck will run fine until it thinks it has used enough fuel to produce enough soot to need a regen. this time depends on how the truck was used. Around 6 to 12 hours without a driving or passive regen. Any way the air is going to blow through the filter to fast & no heat will be seen, It will see that it can't regen & then start derating. that is when he is really going to hate this engine. It can be done, I don't know how, but not like this. the engine programing has to be changed.

A big truck performance shop in UT told me 4k for the tuning alone.

Last edited:
This poor guy has no idea what he has done or how the regen systems works. He just lost a good filter. I do not like the systems neither but If you want it removed this is not the way. Once the DOC or DPF crack, or have holes in them. the truck will run fine until it thinks it has used enough fuel to produce enough soot to need a regen. this time depends on how the truck was used. Around 6 to 12 hours without a driving or passive regen. Any way the air is going to blow through the filter to fast & no heat will be seen, It will see that it can't regen & then start derating. that is when he is really going to hate this engine. It can be done, I don't know how, but not like this. the engine programing has to be changed.

I agree that ecm reprogramming is the best way around it. From what i am told though, what this guy did will work too. I had a shop guy from the Kenworth dealer tell me that a piece of pipe can be put in place of the dpf and will work fine as long as the inhibit regen switch is in inhibit mode. If you don't do that or hit the parked regen button then all hell will break loose and it will do what you said they do. He told me that they voided several warranties for that but the drivers said they had put on tons of trouble free miles with the dpf missing.

The override will keep you going. If you don't care about warranties go for it. I
don't know what these things cost I just diag. fix & replace them, but if he paid 3500.00 for the filter alone whats another 500.00 to get it done right. Sell the old filter for a core or somthing. I think the core is the most expensive part. We try not to deny warr. on to much, You should have seen how pale this driver got, wanting his turbo repaced under warranty and I asked if he only had problems with his pittsburg power box turned up. But we still gave him a turbo. But there is no way I could do that for a drilled dpf.

Thanks for the responses. Ill check this stuff out.

Lreiff, do you recall the name of the shop in UT that had the tuning?

I called these guys and they want $2500 to tune your ecm, and they don't do anything with egr. I think that is way too much money.

Back