Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
GOT-Torque

Name: GOT-Torque
Title: is
Member`s Gallery
2.5 2.6 3.0 same class, weight and hitch differences

Does anyone have any experience with running all of these trucks together with either weight or hitch height differences?

How did it work out for your organization?

EATSOOT.com

Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
i believe FPP does something like this in their RWYB class

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
looking for input for a local class. We have a decent following of 2.6 trucks but could not create a separate 2.5 class due to no commitment from pullers to show up. If we give them a weight advantage say 300lbs or 500lbs and pull in the 2.6 class, then maybe we would get a consistent showing and possibly next year create a separate class?

EATSOOT.com

Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
cumminspa75

Name: cumminspa75
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
• Naturally aspirated gas or alcohol (with cast iron block & stock spacing): 7600 pounds and 28” hitch height

• Naturally Aspirated GAS with Nitrous Oxide System: 7300 pounds and 26” hitch height (Bore spacing alterations permitted)

• Naturally Aspirated GAS with Nitrous Oxide System running cast iron block: 7600 pounds and 26” hitch height

• 3.0 Diesel and Pro Stock Diesel: 7600 pounds and 26” hitch height with cut tires

• 3.0 Diesel and Pro Stock Diesel 8000 pounds and 26” hitch height with uncut OEM Tires

• Super Stock Diesel: 7600 pounds and 24” hitch height

• Super Charged gas or alcohol (under 500 cu.in): 6800 pounds and 26” hitch height

• Super Charged gas or alcohol (over 500 cu.in.) 6800 pounds and 24” hitch

These were the weight/hitch requirements last season in the FPP RWYB class. The season prior, the 3.0 trucks had to drop to 7800 to make the gas trucks competitive. Giving the 2.5 trucks a weight advantage would work in my opinion, but it may take some time to figure out how much that weight advantage needs to be.
Originally Posted by ISBand4BT View Post
I'm kinda unsure... It'd be like a glory hole, it's either gonna be good or ur gonna get bit.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
MSTPA(Missouri) did this 3.0 gave up a little weight and a I don't remember if they gave up hitch height. They didn't give up enough to make it equal. Only thing that kept it fair was there really weren't any good running 3.0 trucks that showed up.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
in Wisconsin there is/was a org. that ran 3.0 and 2.6 at the same time, not changing the sled. there was a significant difference in distances. they never asked the 3.0 guys to give up weight. although there was only one competitive truck that ran with them. some tracks this year a few times one or 2 2.6 trucks walked out with the w.. but like I said there was only one competitive 3.0 truck.. the difference in distance I'd have to guess 1000lbs would be significant. although we have plenty of fundraiser pulls, brush hooks, or firemans picnics that have a open class or unlimited diesel class. where enough of the trucks from surrounding orgs show up to hook. and we could try to do weight changes to level the field... seeing how once july roles around I've got atleast 3-5 pulls a week to choose from within a 2 hour driving radius.

Last edited by TheHammer; 10-20-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminspa75 View Post
• Naturally aspirated gas or alcohol (with cast iron block & stock spacing): 7600 pounds and 28” hitch height

• Naturally Aspirated GAS with Nitrous Oxide System: 7300 pounds and 26” hitch height (Bore spacing alterations permitted)

• Naturally Aspirated GAS with Nitrous Oxide System running cast iron block: 7600 pounds and 26” hitch height

• 3.0 Diesel and Pro Stock Diesel: 7600 pounds and 26” hitch height with cut tires

• 3.0 Diesel and Pro Stock Diesel 8000 pounds and 26” hitch height with uncut OEM Tires

• Super Stock Diesel: 7600 pounds and 24” hitch height

• Super Charged gas or alcohol (under 500 cu.in): 6800 pounds and 26” hitch height

• Super Charged gas or alcohol (over 500 cu.in.) 6800 pounds and 24” hitch

These were the weight/hitch requirements last season in the FPP RWYB class. The season prior, the 3.0 trucks had to drop to 7800 to make the gas trucks competitive. Giving the 2.5 trucks a weight advantage would work in my opinion, but it may take some time to figure out how much that weight advantage needs to be.
Do you happen to have ballpark hp associated with the classes listed above?

The idea is challenging since it depends a lot on the strength of competition that shows up. There was at least one pull where another 2.6 truck weighed 8500 lbs and was still over 40 ft behind 1st place, and on the other hand we have had a strong 2.5 truck that has finished about 20' behind 1st (while at the same weight but no DRW).

EATSOOT.com

Old 10-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
kjpcummins

Name: kjpcummins
Member`s Gallery
I think your asking for problems. If 2.5 trucks want to pull in a 2.6 class they should follow the same rules. They shouldnt get anything to even them up. Your not going to see any 2.5 classes let 2.6 trucks pull with them even if you took say 500lbs from them. Its going to be hard to setup a class when you have a such a difference already between just 2.6 trucks.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpcummins View Post
I think your asking for problems. If 2.5 trucks want to pull in a 2.6 class they should follow the same rules. They shouldnt get anything to even them up. Your not going to see any 2.5 classes let 2.6 trucks pull with them even if you took say 500lbs from them. Its going to be hard to setup a class when you have a such a difference already between just 2.6 trucks.

The intent is to "try" to even the field, in an area that doesn't have enough trucks for 2 or 3 classes locally.

It will be a challenge to even the playing field, possibly another option is to let them all pull the same sled settings in the same class, just have a winner for each of them. IE if your class pays 6 places, basically pay 1 and 2 in each of the 3 classes. Of course you will have folks that play the I am gonna hook 3.0 (because there are no other 3.0 trucks there). You could require that once a truck hooks in a particular class they will be required to hook in that class the rest of the season. Everyone has to realize you won't make everyone happy, just find the best compromise for the largest number of folks.

If you are set on the one class with 1 winner.

Just a guess
2.5 8200 26"
2.6 8000 25"
3.0 7600 24"

MSTPA decided to basically say everyone gets 13 points the first 3 hooks with a specific hitch height/weight. Then after the 3 hooks, the results will be evaluated to decide if the weight/hitch height needed to be changed.(my fear was folks would sandbag the first 3 hooks and then turn up the wick after the final decision was made) The other point that we agreed upon, was that this was for the betterment of the club, as it allowed us to pull 2.6 and 3.0 trucks, with the idea as the numbers increased, the class could be split. A promoter does not want to pay for a class that has 2 hooks(unless it is some odd deal like a superstock truck, semi, or mod tractor)

This also depends on the tracks as well.

Last edited by zstroken; 10-21-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
cumminspa75

Name: cumminspa75
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT-Torque View Post
Do you happen to have ballpark hp associated with the classes listed above?

The idea is challenging since it depends a lot on the strength of competition that shows up. There was at least one pull where another 2.6 truck weighed 8500 lbs and was still over 40 ft behind 1st place, and on the other hand we have had a strong 2.5 truck that has finished about 20' behind 1st (while at the same weight but no DRW).
The top gas trucks were typically 500 cubic inches with blowers and NOS but I'm not sure on hp for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WAZCJzlmwE
The truck at the 1:08 mark was approx 1200 hp with a 3.0 charger and oem driveline compared to the rest which had open driveline. This track didnt let the superstock trucks of Calvin Miller and Shawn Hodges hook up.

Another video of the class
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEUFB5d3qr8
Originally Posted by ISBand4BT View Post
I'm kinda unsure... It'd be like a glory hole, it's either gonna be good or ur gonna get bit.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
How do you even the field when there already is such a gap in the class already. I would run 3.0 7600 24" if those were the choices.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
How do you even the field when there already is such a gap in the class already. I would run 3.0 7600 24" if those were the choices.

I think that is the point, I was trying to make, it really doesn't even the field, it is something as a club that the pullers realize is an intermediate step to end up with more classes. However it does offer a compromise and attempts to even the field.

MSTPA had a 2.8 open driveline class(which was an oddball class) some had already put open drivelines in their truck(and some said they were already done and just hadn't hooked it yet ).

So as a compromise with the hopes after 4 or 5 3.0 trucks consistently hooked, and 4 or 5 2.6 trucks hooked, the class would split into two classes.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #13
kansasfirstgen

Name: kansasfirstgen
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
How many 2.5 and 3.0 trucks do you think will compete next season, Jesse?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Old 10-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Kyle, while I agree with you, this is simply an attempt to appeal to more trucks and get the numbers up in an effort to add a separate class down the road.

I added 3.0 to the question to possibly get more info from guys with experience in other organizations. There will be no 3.0 trucks in the class with NK Pullers. It will be a 2.6 class with the possibility of letting the 2.5 guys weigh more. Can't really decide anything until after the PPL meeting.

It would be really nice if PPL went to say 7600 or 7800 lbs and 24" hitch for 2.6. I imagine most 2.5 classes are going to stay 8000 and 26". Then NK Pullers could let everyone run together and see what happens...

There can't be too much complaining when first place only pays $83 with this org.

Until there is a decent showing of trucks, they won't consider a 2nd class to split them up.

EATSOOT.com

Old 10-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
BADGERTRUCK

Name: BADGERTRUCK
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
in Wisconsin there is/was a org. that ran 3.0 and 2.6 at the same time, not changing the sled. there was a significant difference in distances. they never asked the 3.0 guys to give up weight. although there was only one competitive truck that ran with them. some tracks this year a few times one or 2 2.6 trucks walked out with the w.. but like I said there was only one competitive 3.0 truck.. the difference in distance I'd have to guess 1000lbs would be significant. although we have plenty of fundraiser pulls, brush hooks, or firemans picnics that have a open class or unlimited diesel class. where enough of the trucks from surrounding orgs show up to hook. and we could try to do weight changes to level the field... seeing how once july roles around I've got atleast 3-5 pulls a week to choose from within a 2 hour driving radius.
That org will not have 3.0 in 2015. 2.6 only.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
You could ask nwmtpa how their 2.6 class is going. A few years ago 3-4 people that only showed up half the time to pull got the rules change to what they wanted. Causing people that showed up on a regular basis to spend thousands changing their trucks if they wanted to pull the next year. Not a single one of those guys that got the rules changes pulled the next two years. Now a few of them are showing back up in the 2.5 classes. Cant wait to see them screw it up aswell.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #17
groomzybanshee

Name: groomzybanshee
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You could ask nwmtpa how their 2.6 class is going. A few years ago 3-4 people that only showed up half the time to pull got the rules change to what they wanted. Causing people that showed up on a regular basis to spend thousands changing their trucks if they wanted to pull the next year. Not a single one of those guys that got the rules changes pulled the next two years. Now a few of them are showing back up in the 2.5 classes. Cant wait to see them screw it up aswell.
A few years ago when I voted at nwmtpa it was the opposite of what you are saying. We voted to keep the class cheaper more street friendly. No w/a etc.

Closed Thread