excessive blowby.. Can it be turbo?

Alexp12valve

Alright, So i've been reading up about this blowby problem that has been occuring to me and it seems like it isn't so much the valves out of wack anymore. I recently read a fourm about the turbo being the problem. The kid said he took his return line off the turbo and the haze out his blowby tube vanished. has anyone else run into the same issue or problem? would like to get answers asap, also what should i do a turbo rebuild? are there shot rings or gaskets or should it be replaced if i diagnose it's the problem?:nail: anything will help thanks guys

I would look other places besides a turbo for blow by issues. I would run a leak down compression test like recommended above to find the cylinder.or cylinders at fault. My guess is rings of HG

Last edited:
Had 2 C15 Acert cat's with huge amounts of blow by (enough to blow the dipstick out and make a puddle of oil out blow by tube) and both times it was the top turbo, I wouldn't rule it out.

mines doing this too, its also making enough crank pressure to push oil out the valve covers and dipstick. It makes 360psi of compression cold with stock settings except for 188/210 cam. That may knock a little static compression off the low end due to overlap.
Could be the turbo oil seal, sure. More likely is the rings. a leakdown is the best way to check this.
I might rebuild my turbo soon anyhow the radial play is a lot more than normal.

Last edited:
Had a turbo blow out a tappet cover gasket on a buddies truck he just bought. Found oil in the exhaust rebuilt the turbo and all blow by was gone. s300 frame turbo.

FYI if you do a turbo rebuild do not buy an ebay kit. buy an OEM overhaul kit from a reputable vendor and have someone with the proper balancing equipment go through it.
Lot of scumbags out there peddling chinese pot-metal crap to the unsuspecting.

Lots and lots of acerts.
You have to have proper tooling, but you can pull the return line and crank case pressure will drop or stop.

I got mine in the shop for some work, gonna have the tech look over the turbo and the valve seals.
Id be doing this crap myself but its like single digits, 4' of snow and I have no garage here. oh yeah.. and I snapped the ears clean off my axle stub yesterday snow raging. so yeah.
Looks like you need to machine the head to use the top hat style valve seals

Last edited:
I got 190k on the motor i mean its a steady haze when its warm but its noticable if you get under and look. Its not like pouring out but theres some there

I got mine in the shop for some work, gonna have the tech look over the turbo and the valve seals.
Id be doing this crap myself but its like single digits, 4' of snow and I have no garage here. oh yeah.. and I snapped the ears clean off my axle stub yesterday snow raging. so yeah.
Looks like you need to machine the head to use the top hat style valve seals

I just cooked my driveshaft bearing