Need a medium duty diesel engine.

4x4dually

The 8.2L Detroit let go again. I'm gonna sink it into the pond.

Does anyone have an 8.3L Cummins or 3208 Cat or DT466 or anything that runs and won't bankrupt my ass to buy and put in this slug? Naturally, I want 900hp for $100.

Need a buddy deal.

Open to options....GO!

P-Pumped 8.3 from an older GMC military service rig?
Dammit, I can picture it, but I don't know the model, looks like a dump truck with real tires. LOL

Mark.

Why not just a 5.9? Turn it up a little and be done.

Torque?

The highest rated 5.9L is rated at 215 hp and 440 ft-lbs. The 8.3L is rated at 270 hp and 716 ft-lbs. With the 8.3l being only a 400 lb heavier.

I'd take a 8.3L over a 5.9 in something like this.

Why buy a pony to do a horses work?

Torque?

The highest rated 5.9L is rated at 215 hp and 440 ft-lbs. The 8.3L is rated at 270 hp and 716 ft-lbs. With the 8.3l being only a 400 lb heavier.

I'd take a 8.3L over a 5.9 in something like this.

Why buy a pony to do a horses work?
This confuses me. This is compD?

A capable tech can have 700ftlbs from a 5.9 in no time.
I would be worried about duty cycle, but I assume the terrain around Jory is relatively flat. The girl isn't going to be roaring up any mountain passes in the near future.

True. Just needs to run down the highway at 65 mph grossing #26K max. That is all I need. Hell...at this point...something that runs would be great. ;)

I'm just worried about the motor mounts and brackets (at least air compressor) needing modified. I'm not much of a fabricator when you are talking about stuff this in-depth. Needs to mount to an Eaton 5 speed.

Surely there's a truck wrecker some where near by. It will be worth going that route for all the little crap to make the change over more painless.

This confuses me. This is compD?

A capable tech can have 700ftlbs from a 5.9 in no time.
I would be worried about duty cycle, but I assume the terrain around Jory is relatively flat. The girl isn't going to be roaring up any mountain passes in the near future.

A 8.3L has a longer stroke, which in turn will make more toque than a 5.9. Stock motor to stock motor a 8.3L is a better option, IMHO. But that's just me.

I still say welding a gooseneck on the frame right behind the cab will be more painless and more useful. $.02

I need to find a 16' dual tandem frame with axles and wheels, mount the bed and hoist on it, and scrap the rest. Just keeping my options open. I sure like driving the larger trucks but dayum they break the bank.

True. Just needs to run down the highway at 65 mph grossing #26K max. That is all I need. Hell...at this point...something that runs would be great. ;)

I'm just worried about the motor mounts and brackets (at least air compressor) needing modified. I'm not much of a fabricator when you are talking about stuff this in-depth. Needs to mount to an Eaton 5 speed.

Jory,

I took a 442 CID 3126E Cat out of our FL80 and dropped in a RV275 VP44 5.9L (With Mach 4's, and TS MVP, and a S360) and it made a COMPLETELY new truck out of it.

Don't be afraid of the 5.9L in a big truck. It acts really big for it's size.

Chris

I used to have an F-800 (24,500 GVW) with a 5.9 in it.
It pulled pretty good for having a slippy old AT545 in it and it was rated at 190hp.

Mark.

Last edited:
I agree on the 5.9 suggestion. We've got a truck at work that frequently hauls 300 bales of hay and a 5000lb straw blower with no issue. By far our most fuel efficient truck. VP44 5.9

BTW, Our truck weighs 14,500 empty, the trailer is 11,300, and if we put ANYTHING on it it weighs 20K...So We're grossing out around 45-55K and the truck will hold 65mph pulling hills at those speeds and weights.

Chris

My old company had a F700 (26k) 4x4 with a 215hp 5.9L. and an Allison 545C. Even with all the hillbilly mods done to the pump, top speed was ~66mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a DT466 found....for free...just needs a few rings and general clean up. I guess I'll put it on a stand and learn how to rebuild the thing.

If any one has a rebuild manual for one I'd sure appreciate borrowing it sometime. ;)

I have one for a Series 40 Detroit....really, really similar.....If you can't find a manual.

For as much as you will use it is it really worth rebuilding?
Chris

I have one for a Series 40 Detroit....really, really similar.....If you can't find a manual.

For as much as you will use it is it really worth rebuilding?
Chris

The plan is .... once the house remods are complete, momma said I could make this short truck a long bed. The plan is, sell the dump truck to cover the cost. The $3400 I've been offered for it with a blown motor won't cover but about half of what I need to do what I want. ;)

If it has a rebuilt motor and runs like a champ, no reason I can't get $6K out of it. Plus, I could really use it right now. I've got loads of stuff I need to haul. The unfortunate thing is that it will probably take me 12 months to re-power the mofo.