Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 7.3 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

7.3 Powerstroke 99-03 Powerstroke Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Bersaglieri

Name: Bersaglieri
Title: Ron Swanson's Brother
Member`s Gallery
Excursion Project: The War Wagon

Introducing our four wheel drive, diesel, 7 passenger, heavy duty station wagon that does not make me feel like my balls have been forcefully removed. I call it The War Wagon. In this thread I plan to discuss modifications and repairs.

Click the image to open in full size.

2002 Ford Excursion Limited with a 444ci dinosaur divouring, iron headed, hippie hating International noise maker.

Plan of attack:

Chip or tuner - I am reading that the PHP Hydra is the way to go. It can upload tunes from emails similar to most other modern day tuning systems. Much better than removing a TS chip and waiting for it to be reburnt and returned.

Exhaust - I plan to follow a similar route as my last Duramax, straight pipe or install a straight through muffler into the stock system. With the current culture of the diesel world I prefer a more minimalist look.

Intake - I am not sure if this is actually worth upgrading or not with a modest 7.3l

Suspension - The place I feel the most work is needed. This old girl is loose on country roads, bumps and turns. I do not want to raise it at all so aftermarket or truck springs may not be an option. I was hoping that a combination of airbags (rear and maybe even front) with a good rear sway bar might fix the issue and keep the ride height near factory.

Undercoating - I am in Ohio and the Excursion is from Alabama. I plan to fluid film everything under the truck in order to keep it as rust free as possible.

Wish me luck!
1994 - LT1 - 4L80e - Moser

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-29-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
How many miles on her?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 01-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
Bersaglieri

Member`s Gallery
285,xxx. I was willing to take on higher miles in order to get one with no rust and a good body.

Forgot to add, due to it's age it's going to need a mirror adjustment switch, passenger seat controls, coolant tank, a leak fixed in the rear window sprayer, and a few other small things.

I will say that it might be the quietest 7.3l I've ever heard. Runs and shifts nice, no smoke.

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-29-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bersaglieri View Post
285,xxx. I was willing to take on higher miles in order to get one with no rust and a good body.

Forgot to add, due to it's age it's going to need a mirror adjustment switch, passenger seat controls, coolant tank, a leak fixed in the rear window sprayer, and a few other small things.

I will say that it might be the quietest 7.3l I've ever heard. Runs and shifts nice, no smoke.
How would you like to P-pump that 7.3?

Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
Best thing you can do suspension/handling wise is yank everything out from under the front, replace with everything from a coil sprung super duty. Axle and all. Rear springs from a 11 and newer 350 help also.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Outlaw7317

Name: Outlaw7317
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Throw a Napa #6637 filter on it. Home made CAI.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #7
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

That is why I quit looking at the excursions. I didn't want something that will nickel and dime me.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #8
Bersaglieri

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
How would you like to P-pump that 7.3?
How many horsepowers does it make with the rods sunbathing on the interstate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9724VF350 View Post
Best thing you can do suspension/handling wise is yank everything out from under the front, replace with everything from a coil sprung super duty. Axle and all. Rear springs from a 11 and newer 350 help also.
I'm not ready for that sort of surgery right out of the gate, but you're probably right. Is that what you did with yours?

Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
how many horsepowers does it make with the rods sunbathing on the interstate?
lol lol

Old 01-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #10
Bersaglieri

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7317 View Post
Throw a Napa #6637 filter on it. Home made CAI.
Is this like the BHAF for the Dodges? If so I feel like it's more of a HAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
That is why I quit looking at the excursions. I didn't want something that will nickel and dime me.
Bah, go buy one and have some fun. $14 here, $35 there... Even if I spent $3000.00 a year it would take 20+ years before I get to the dealer price of a new loaded Suburban.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Bah, go buy one and have some fun. $14 here, $35 there... Even if I spent $3000.00 a year it would take 20+ years before I get to the dealer price of a new loaded Suburban.
Preach on brother!!!! Todays folks are to quick to buy money to buy something they don't really need.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #12
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm not ready for that sort of surgery right out of the gate, but you're probably right. Is that what you did with yours?
No, though I'm kicking myself in the a$$ for not doing it. I sandblasted and rebuilt every piece of my chassis, now I have this fully rebuilt leaf sprung front end sitting under it and I wish I didn't. I added leaves to the rear springs. I screwed up and didn't do enough homework before I dove into it.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #13
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
y
Quote:
Is this like the BHAF for the Dodges? If so I feel like it's more of a HAI.

The problem I have seen is that $5 part breaks when you are 200 plus miles from home. It is all of the plastic on the things anymore that at a certain age, just give up the ghost.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #14
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Wait till the electrical starts going like it is on my moms.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #15
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbayes View Post
Wait till the electrical starts going like it is on my moms.

I looked hard for a clean excursion and found a few. However in the end a suburban will tow what I needed and 7 to 8 years newer for the same price.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Kind of how I explained it to my dad after mentioning all the crap we would have to do if they bought another. And they do not need the room any more as my sister and I are older. Been all over the U.S. in that thing lol

Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #17
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
No, though I'm kicking myself in the a$$ for not doing it. I sandblasted and rebuilt every piece of my chassis, now I have this fully rebuilt leaf sprung front end sitting under it and I wish I didn't. I added leaves to the rear springs. I screwed up and didn't do enough homework before I dove into it.
I wish I would have picked up some 05 up D60 fronts before the prices went up on them. I want to do this swap to one I have now too.

I do have to admit that some of the interior parts for these things can get expensive to get. I'd still rather have an excursion over a POS min van though. Haha
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Last edited by DieselWrencher; 01-30-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #18
Bersaglieri

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What would you estimate the cost of this coil front end conversion, upgraded rear setup? I feel like it might be better to convert a newer F250/F350 for the amount of work involved.

Quote:
y

The problem I have seen is that $5 part breaks when you are 200 plus miles from home. It is all of the plastic on the things anymore that at a certain age, just give up the ghost.
I guess that's possible, but if it's $5 and a common issue that could leave me stranded, I would spend $10 and put 2 in the tool box.

Not to sound like the illegitimate love child of Macgyver and Chuch Norris, but I've had axles come out from under a loaded gooseneck during a 2000 mile trip. I was 500 miles from home, in early February, and cobbled it together at a rest stop and made it home. Hell, during the trip to buy this Excursion I lost the brakes in the Dodge trying to stop in the hills of eastern Kentucky. I shrugged my shoulders, puckered my asshole, and drove the last 2 hours without 'em. I generally expect problems on trips, if somethng happens I try to improvise, adapt, and overcome. That being said, I'm not into challenges enough to buy a 6.0l one.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #19
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
found this for $700.00, 01 2500 burban 6.0/4l85 2wd, 251k, towed it home, wheels/tires, flexplate, batteries, transmission, brakes, hydro-booster, does 13/17 city/highway, radiator, themostat, fan clutch, plugs wire.. so far a lot of little stuff needs fixed
6.0 drinks oil, pretty sure its been overheated.. looking hard at a converting to 4wd and a lbz swap down the road
Click the image to open in full size.
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #20
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What would you estimate the cost of this coil front end conversion, upgraded rear setup? I feel like it might be better to convert a newer F250/F350 for the amount of work involved.

I guess that's possible, but if it's $5 and a common issue that could leave me stranded, I would spend $10 and put 2 in the tool box.

Not to sound like the illegitimate love child of Macgyver and Chuch Norris, but I've had axles come out from under a loaded gooseneck during a 2000 mile trip. I was 500 miles from home, in early February, and cobbled it together at a rest stop and made it home. Hell, during the trip to buy this Excursion I lost the brakes in the Dodge trying to stop in the hills of eastern Kentucky. I shrugged my shoulders, puckered my asshole, and drove the last 2 hours without 'em. I generally expect problems on trips, if somethng happens I try to improvise, adapt, and overcome. That being said, I'm not into challenges enough to buy a 6.0l one.

I have been there, done that. I have had tires come off of trailers, hitches break off of trailers, wagon came unhitched. Of course that was 20 years ago Now I just want to drive and get to where I am.

Closed Thread