Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
woody56usmc

Name: woody56usmc
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Best Transmission For Sled Pulling

Hey everyone,

I’m looking to upgrade my transmission in my 1st gen Cummins. Currently it has a Getrag 360. I plan to pull the truck so I’m shopping for a new transmission. I’ve read many post but really haven’t been able to nail it down. Some people like the NV4500 and some say NV5600. Others say ZF6 so for a 800-1000 hp build what is the best? And before anyone says it I know that’s a lot for a 1st gen however that’s just a range for hp for the transmission I was thinking. Also what about autos? Anyone use a 47 or 48 to sled pull with? I’m all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
Nv4500 !!! 1200hp with little issues

Old 12-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
pushlar84

Name: pushlar84
Title: pushlar84
Member`s Gallery
Allison for a auto here

Old 12-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
red dodge2

Name: red dodge2
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Nv4500 by far!

Tow rig: 2022 ram 3500 Laramie

puller: 97 3.6 pro stock diesel truck "CUMMIN ATCHA"

thanks to: Puredieselpower, Haisley Machine, Miley machine & fabrication, Northeast Diesel

Old 12-11-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
gibbs01

Name: gibbs01
Member`s Gallery
if your not going to street drive it anymore go with a powerglide for an auto or turbo 350 cheap and very easy to rebuild and change settings

Old 12-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody56usmc View Post
Hey everyone,

I’m looking to upgrade my transmission in my 1st gen Cummins. Currently it has a Getrag 360. I plan to pull the truck so I’m shopping for a new transmission. I’ve read many post but really haven’t been able to nail it down. Some people like the NV4500 and some say NV5600. Others say ZF6 so for a 800-1000 hp build what is the best? And before anyone says it I know that’s a lot for a 1st gen however that’s just a range for hp for the transmission I was thinking. Also what about autos? Anyone use a 47 or 48 to sled pull with? I’m all ears.

We've made 3 total pulls with our built automatic transmission. When built correctly, I think the auto is very reliable and a little easier to drive vs. mastering the clutch slip/dump at the starting line. The only other advantage to the auto is if you misjudge the track and need more gear, you can grab another gear under power mid-track and then drop a gear or unlock the converter at the end of the track if you run out of power.

The downside to the built auto is will have to do some of the more expensive billet shaft upgrades to keep it reliable long term: fat input, maraging intermediate, and fat output shaft.

OEM 12v Block

Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
Depends on what class you're in. Cant go wrong with an NV4500 and 3 disk clutch for simple, cheap, reliable. If you're trying to get into the limited pro stock or higher classes, just get an SCS reverser and be done with it.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 12-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
OP, if you’re being serious about this swap, I have everything needed to swap a 1stgen to an NV4500. It’s currently in one of my trucks. Adaptor plate, 4500 with very little run time, 29 spline 205 (which you would already have but just saying) Kenny Smith duel disk 1&3/8” and pedal assembly (which you also already have). All has I’d guess around 1,000 miles, just been sitting forever.

You being a new member I’ll need some references(no offense but that’s what this world has come too) before I tear my truck apart. With a little effort I can get it running and take a video of it going threw gears.

I’d hate to deal with shipping but we can talk if you’re serious. I’m located outside Phoenix by about 30 miles. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
woody56usmc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinVE View Post
OP, if you’re being serious about this swap, I have everything needed to swap a 1stgen to an NV4500. It’s currently in one of my trucks. Adaptor plate, 4500 with very little run time, 29 spline 205 (which you would already have but just saying) Kenny Smith duel disk 1&3/8” and pedal assembly (which you also already have). All has I’d guess around 1,000 miles, just been sitting forever.

You being a new member I’ll need some references(no offense but that’s what this world has come too) before I tear my truck apart. With a little effort I can get it running and take a video of it going threw gears.

I’d hate to deal with shipping but we can talk if you’re serious. I’m located outside Phoenix by about 30 miles. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

Thanks man I appreciate it. I’m sure shipping would cost quite a bit though lol As of right now I can get a 4500 swap kit from Midwest transmission for around $2,200. That is without a clutch though. Everything else is included and free shipping. Just looking around and getting some advice before I pull the trigger. The NV4500 seems to be the transmission of choice for when I have and also the cheapest route.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
woody56usmc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
We've made 3 total pulls with our built automatic transmission. When built correctly, I think the auto is very reliable and a little easier to drive vs. mastering the clutch slip/dump at the starting line. The only other advantage to the auto is if you misjudge the track and need more gear, you can grab another gear under power mid-track and then drop a gear or unlock the converter at the end of the track if you run out of power.

The downside to the built auto is will have to do some of the more expensive billet shaft upgrades to keep it reliable long term: fat input, maraging intermediate, and fat output shaft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LEVgA1tF9Y

I follow PDD on YouTube and have seen that video. It is what actually made me think about a an auto but I called and talked to Will I think and he suggested the ZF6. Really great guys at PDD. I got my gauges from them.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #11
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody56usmc View Post
Thanks man I appreciate it. I’m sure shipping would cost quite a bit though lol As of right now I can get a 4500 swap kit from Midwest transmission for around $2,200. That is without a clutch though. Everything else is included and free shipping. Just looking around and getting some advice before I pull the trigger. The NV4500 seems to be the transmission of choice for when I have and also the cheapest route.

Damn! Times have changed! My adaptor plate to run all the rag junk with the 4500 cost me 5-600$ way back in the day. Good deal for you. Have fun with your build and post some videos of that mighty VE having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Closed Thread