Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #1
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Looking at my first common rail advice wanted

Haven’t been around for awhile but hoping to get back into the reason why I joined the site in the first place. Looking at a 12’ with 50k miles ish and 4300 hrs on the clock. Seems excessive. Truck had a delete 10k miles ago.

Trucks in real nice shape. I’m just worried about the higher hours. Is there a way to know if there might be some issues in the future? What should I look for? One owner clean truck. Price is good. Thanks

Old 06-27-2019, 11:56 PM   #2
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
That is very high hours for the miles. Less than a 12 mph average. I don’t know what the Cummins hour recommendations is for maintenance, but Ford use to say 250 hours, or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first. That is a 25mph average, and many trucks I see have a 32-37mph average. I have seen a few with a 42mph average.
Very few guys watch the hours, so a high hour truck is usually under maintained.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Ya I know it’s a low ratio for sure. The truck appears to be looked after well. Wether or not it’s got oil changes per hr or per km I’m not sure.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
No one else? Was hoping for some more feedback on thoughts. If it should plane be avoided or if it’s doing good now what can I look for when I go look at the truck?

Old 06-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #5
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
The #1 thing I look for is to see if it does "The Cap Dance", if it does, it's a puffin'.

Mark.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
The #1 thing I look for is to see if it does "The Cap Dance", if it does, it's a puffin'.

Mark.

Yes. Warm is the better time to do this?

What’s the thought on the vgt? My worry would be large idle hours would cause it to stick. And it looks to be expensive to replace.

He said it never had any issue doing a “burn” assuming regen.

I’m gonna get a hold of the mechanics who did the delete. As I don’t know how efi live works. If they use std tunes or he made his own up.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Take it for a run, play with the exhaust brake on it while you have it out, then check the hot cap dance after you get back.
I understand your caution, it's a lot of hours in idle time, for ~ 50k miles, but does the owner have maintenance records?
You can also run the VIN by the dealer to see if it had any dealer maintenance, too.

Mark.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
USARMY12V

Name: USARMY12V
Title: Rally round the Virginian
Member`s Gallery
I have 151,690 miles with 4593 so that is a considerable amount of idle time. But if he’s done oil changes regularly and maintenance records check out probably not a big deal if there’s no blow-by as already mentioned.

"God gave them 24 for those too dumb to use 12."

Be a happy dinosaur

1998 QCLB 5.9 Auto Under the Knife

2010 MCSB 6.7 68RFE Draconian MCC soon to be EFI, Deleted

Old 07-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Will do those checks. Truck is 7 hrs away
From me so just wanna get a list of stuff to peak at before making the journey.

Gonna call the mechanic that did the delete to get a bit of info from him as well.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
USARMY12V

Member`s Gallery
Balljoints could be another item that could have some play depending upon the area the truck was in. The stock ones are very hit or miss.

Be a happy dinosaur

Old 07-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMY12V View Post
Balljoints could be another item that could have some play depending upon the area the truck was in. The stock ones are very hit or miss.

Ya have a general idea of stuff like that. I’m more worried of basically engine and turbo health. I have no idea of cost rebuilding the engine either. But I imagine the common rails aren’t cheap.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
USARMY12V

Member`s Gallery
Not sure on your time you’re trying to make a decision, but if they’d let you send off an oil sample (I doubt they’re expecting you to ask) could get a little bit and send it off to Blackstone. That’ll tell some helpful information, too.

Be a happy dinosaur

Old 07-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #13
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Well heading out tomorrow to go look at the truck. If I buy(which most likely will unless I find something serious) then I’ll maybe start a new thread on advice for add ons and recommended maintenance and such.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #14
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post

Mark.

What would be your cap dance check? I’m not sure what if any would be acceptable blow by.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Well what a bust that was. Truck wasn’t nice like I was told. Cupped tires, spray liner peeling off rockers, air filter plugged with wet dirt. Rock chips n rust. Slightly pissed. It also shifted hard and had large amount of play in driveline. Ok a positive not the engine had zero blow by lol. The truck was also filthy with dog hair and dirt. Wasted 16 hrs of my day. And when I started telling him how I was kind of unhappy with it he told me to leave like I was an inconvenience. All the better I didn’t end up with it.

2 people I know said he looked after his stuff, I talked on the phone with his mechanic who said it’s in great shape. He safetied btw and nothing was written about the steering stiffness or the badly cupped tires. He also assured me it was a good truck and only had a couple rock chips. So weather he didn’t know or was trying to pawn it off. Either way I did as much as I could to get good info and not waste a trip......

Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #16
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
Not much will piss me off more than that. I go the distance for what I want and also have always made sure to disclose every little thing when I'm selling. Such a shame to think so little of another man's time.

Hope you have better luck in the future.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #17
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
Not much will piss me off more than that. I go the distance for what I want and also have always made sure to disclose every little thing when I'm selling. Such a shame to think so little of another man's time.

Hope you have better luck in the future.

Ya it’s a piss off. If there’s issues then say so. Especially since I told him I would buy based off what he said. But no way was I feeling pressured into an unmaintained and filthy pos.

I just bought one tonight. Almost doubled the price but it’s like new.

I’ll post pics when I pick up Friday.

2016 ram 2500 Laramie crew cab white pearl blacked out edition. Gorgeous truck.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #18
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Here she be. Love it. Might start a thread on stuff I wanna do lol but maybe should keep the wallet closed for a while.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #19
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
One helluva first common rail! Congrats. That is sharp.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
Smoken Gun

Name: Smoken Gun
Title: Diaboli parum adiutor.
Member`s Gallery
Gorgeous truck, congrates sir!

Closed Thread