Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
i6chick

Name: i6chick
Title: It's all about leverage
Member`s Gallery
Multiple codes, stalls but restarts?

Hi guys, long time no talk,

I've noticed at times Rosie has been a little sluggish recently, feels as if there is a boost leak or turbo is wore out (wouldn't surprise me, she has had a hard life.)

I did some aggressive "I don't want to be late to work driving" this morning, pulled into a gas station and let her idle when I went inside. When I took it out of gear it seemed like the engine did a little something funny like it wanted to go faster? When I got back in the truck and reversed out of the parking lot she stalled, then stalled again when I pulled forward. She started right back up both times but the idle seemed to fluctuate/surge for a second or two. When I was waiting to pull out into traffic with my foot on the brake it felt like I was trying to hold back a poorly behaved horse that just wanted to run lol. I drove about a mile to the shop, she shifted perfectly and ran great.

No check engine light, no other MIL lights but found engine codes:
P0230 (transfer pump circuit out of range)
P1693 (MIL fault in companion module)
P0234 (turbo boost limit exceeded)

Trans Codes:
P0122 (TPS voltage low)
P1683 (speed control power relay circuit)
P1693 again

About a month ago I finally did the Suncoast APPS ground rewire to solve the dreaded torque converter going in and out of lock up issue. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it? (P0122 code)

What do ya'll think is going on here? Any time my VP has had issues (P1693) it won't start back up and drive. It just flat out has died. Any time I have had any air in the system to starve the pump it has never started back up without priming. Air Dog lift pump is running and has new filters (P0230). The P0234 might explain the surging and sluggishness (MAP sensor?) but usually my truck throws a P0237 MAP code (Edge drag comp always made my truck throw that code.) I no longer have my drag comp in, never spliced the VP wire again. I run an Industrial Injection HRVP.

Where would you guys start? Clear the codes and see what comes back? Try an APPS relearn? It was relearned after the APPS ground rewire. Clean connections at APPS? I've replaced the computer before, but it didn't act quite like this.

89' 4wd Cummins, the nightmare that has recently re-entered my life after 10 years.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Check Fuel pressure.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
i6chick

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
Check Fuel pressure.
NOOOOO! Say something different!

89' 4wd Cummins, the nightmare that has recently re-entered my life after 10 years.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
Ugly Dodge

Name: Ugly Dodge
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
And alternator. Mine backfed and took out APPS & fuel pump.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Welcome back!

Agree with Brad on this, and check your grounds as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
Check Fuel pressure.
If you think it is the map sensor you can unplug the sensor and run a resistor from supply voltage to return and bypass the sensor. You'd want to see about 4.25- 4.5VDC back to the ECM (max boost). Forget what the ohm rating is, it's been 15 years or so since I have messed with it.
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Last edited by RascalMafia; 07-08-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by i6chick View Post
NOOOOO! Say something different!
Just a good place to start on any VP truck... , I also agree on the Grounds.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #7
i6chick

Member`s Gallery
Alright, thanks guys. I'll start with grounds. Was going to unhook the batteries and do an APPS relearn.

Do you guys think by doing the suncoast's APPS ground procedure to fix the infamous torque converter clutch cycling issue had anything to do with this?

Old 07-08-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
Ugly Dodge

Name: Ugly Dodge
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Alright, thanks guys. I'll start with grounds. Was going to unhook the batteries and do an APPS relearn.

Do you guys think by doing the suncoast's APPS ground procedure to fix the infamous torque converter clutch cycling issue had anything to do with this?
I don’t think so. Not by what u r describing.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #9
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
What about the fuel filter? That's where I'd start.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #10
i6chick

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
Welcome back!

Agree with Brad on this, and check your grounds as well.

If you think it is the map sensor you can unplug the sensor and run a resistor from supply voltage to return and bypass the sensor. You'd want to see about 4.25- 4.5VDC back to the ECM (max boost). Forget what the ohm rating is, it's been 15 years or so since I have messed with it.

HEY ROY!!!! Miss you on book face. Hope you're doing great!

Thanks everybody. Shop is crazy busy so probably won't get to mess with mine at all until I can get everyone else's POS cars out of here . Poor old Rosie is not feeling well.

I talked to Industrial about a pump rebuild price and lead time. They think it's electrical. Apparently since I changed my injectors to I think just 50 overs that's no good for a HRVP. They have to be 225s? I had no idea. So I've been unknowingly damaging it for years because my injectors aren't big enough. smh. Learn something new every day.

Last edited by i6chick; 07-08-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #11
i6chick

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
What about the fuel filter? That's where I'd start.
I'll check them but I just changed them November 15th, 2019 @ 172k and shes @ 176k now. My air dog is wired to run all the time, have to check pressure at it for the lift pump code. The dying then starting back up is weird to me. All the other codes I'd imagine wouldn't do that. Lack of fuel would but I'd imagine it wouldn't just crank right up. I might have multiple issues here.

Would I be able to feel it if my torque converter was staying locked up intermittently and stalling my engine at idle like it did the parking lot?

Old 07-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #12
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'll check them but I just changed them November 15th, 2019 @ 172k and shes @ 176k now. My air dog is wired to run all the time, have to check pressure at it for the lift pump code. The dying then starting back up is weird to me. All the other codes I'd imagine wouldn't do that. Lack of fuel would but I'd imagine it wouldn't just crank right up. I might have multiple issues here.
I understand that fuel filters really should not cause a stall, but you said the truck seemed sluggish even before you mentioned the stall issue.
I agree with Brad on checking the fuel pressure.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #13
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I talked to Industrial about a pump rebuild price and lead time. They think it's electrical. Apparently since I changed my injectors to I think just 50 overs that's no good for a HRVP. They have to be 225s? I had no idea. So I've been unknowingly damaging it for years because my injectors aren't big enough. smh. Learn something new every day.
Stock injectors might be a little small but I have a hard time believe that you need to go all the way up to 225s, that could just be Industrial trying to cover their ass. Regardless, there's no way running too small of an injector would cause an electrical issue with a VP. Might help gall up the timing piston sooner or beat out the cam ring and rollers but not fry the electronics.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #14
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Would I be able to feel it if my torque converter was staying locked up intermittently and stalling my engine at idle like it did the parking lot?
Yes. It would feel like driving a manual trans and not disengaging the clutch when you approach a stop. The engine will bog down and try to torque through it. Especially a VP engine.

When the VP died on my past ‘01 truck, it started fine forever, did not stall, and rpm was limited to 1200.

Side bar: What happened with the 1st gen project?
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 07-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #15
i6chick

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, my VP did the same thing when it went, wouldn't go over 1200.

I unplugged the trans harness and it is still stalling. It's definitely in the trans. If I go out and start it and get into it without letting it stall (like you said, a manual would) it'll run and shift through all the gears just fine. I have a gauge on it, it never gets above 150. Fluid does not look great though. I don't know if the solenoid is mechanically stuck or if there is a hydraulic issue causing it.

So do I waste money in fluid and messing with solenoids and possible valve body or do I just pull it and have it gone through? I have a billet single disc, HD bands and clutches in it now. It has about 110k on it. I got it done by a guy in Franklin, TN about 11 years ago when I went to school in Nashvegas. My boss says it needs to be pulled and gone through. He's been working on cars for 30 years and is very knowledgeable but I know he also doesn't feel like helping me mess with it. So I'm not sure if his determination is founded on a mechanical hunch or a "lets just pull this thing and send it to another shop so its not taking up a lift" kind of place.

Red Sleeper: first gen is sitting next to my truck in the back of the shop with rusted brake lines. I can't catch a break! . Cab swap went alright. I have to figure out why I can't get the power windows to work yet and still haven't solved the speedo issue. Just haven't had time to mess with it between other projects (boat, everything in my life is broken lol) and the shop has been really busy. I work at a gas shop *sigh* and my boss absolutely hates fking around with diesels so enlisting his help (if he is ever even here) requires a lot of bud light and A LOT of arm twisting.

Last edited by i6chick; 07-10-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #16
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I'd P pump it. Cut your losses now

Old 07-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #17
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
It does sound like the trans is giving up the ghost, and the VP as well. Unfortunately they are both doing so at the same time. On the trans, you could drop the pan, inspect the fluid drained, and check out the filter. At this point I wouldn't start changing just the solenoids, if issues still persist, pull trans.

On the VP, check fuel pressure, check fuel filters as mentioned by Snedge. If fuel supply is good and clean, yank the VP. Don't let the recent grounding upgrade cloud your diagnostic vision. The issues described could be a lot of different electrical items/issues, but we all know the obvious with these trucks.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 07-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #18
i6chick

Member`s Gallery
Have any of you guys heard anything about the Recon Transtar converters? The shop around here that would be doing my transmission says they use those and would put in a billet dual disc converter. I haven't really heard of that. Usually its just single or triple. They won't warranty it if I get one from somewhere like DPC. I don't know a whole lot about these Recon Transtars

Old 07-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #19
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
I'd tell them to go phuck themselves and take it someone that will warranty with a DPC.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 07-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #20
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
I'd tell them to go phuck themselves and take it someone that will warranty with a DPC.

What he said.

Closed Thread