3rd gen head on 2nd gen block 24V Cummins

IC-Smoke

Oh SNAP!
Like the title says...
WHO has put a 3rd gen 24V head on a 2nd gen 24V block (VP equipped) I know Adam Winslet (sp) has done this on his but I need to find a way to get ahold of him or anyone else that has done this.

I dont want to hear from arm chair racers.

Thanks
Ian

Come on anyone?!?!

what to use for injector lines to connecto to the 3rd gen tubes
will the valve cover from the 2nd gen work

I'd say what I know but I am an armchair racer. Heck the one I'm sitting in now has wheels.

I don't know, can't figure out where the second one goes.............

Sig fixed.

ian you will have one as soon as you come get it from me and put it on your truck lol

I talked with Adam yesterday and he was extremely helpful!!!!! Looks like this will be a fairly easy swap

haha thanks Jeremy, :rockwoot:

When I pulled my head, I was having a hard time locating a good 2nd gen replacement so I did some research on the third gen. I found about 10 different opinions on what needed to be done to make it work. Reliability and making it work the first time round made me hold back. I didn't want to spend all the money I had allocated on this project on the head alone.

Things that were discussed as having to change was.
1) Oil Passages
2) Cooling passages
3) Crossover pipes.
4) Then needing new HP Lines.
5) Few other minor things.

I then found a decent priced 2nd gen head and had it ported locally.
So now that you know what to do, can you post what the real issues are. I am curious if I should have pursued the third gen more.

Thanks again Jeremy!!

DIFFERENCE between the 03-04 head and the 04.5-07 5.9L :
Copied and pasted from DP article online:

That all changed on January 1, 2004, with the mid-'04 model "Cummins 600." Inconel valves and high-cobalt content Stellite exhaust valve seats complemented revised ports with less swirl, a bigger turbo compressor wheel, and electronic wastegate control for the HY35 turbo. To feed all that power, a new fuel lift pump and intake air heater that needed no ground strap found their way into the engine. This brought the top engine rating to 325 hp at 2,900 rpm with 600 lb-ft at 1,600 rpm, thanks to 30 pounds of boost-regardless of transmission or state the truck was sold in. For 2005, the torque rating was bumped to 610 to keep it ahead of GM's Duramax LLY engine that received 605 lb-ft rating.

Here are a few pics of them side by side of the heads:

3G on left and 2G on right
100_3010-1.jpg

3G on top and 2G on bottom
100_3014.jpg

100_3013.jpg

3G on top and 2G on bottom
100_3011.jpg

100_3012.jpg

Ian

Im a good friend of Adams it pretty simple it was just took time to make sure everything would work fine. but all in all it was very simple just need a few custom parts......

Mike came by yesterday and dropped off the connecting tubes for my VP lines:rockwoot:

100_3047.jpg

Im taking the head into the motor shop today to be checked, decked, ported/polished and eventually springs installed:bang

Here are pics of the water ports that I opened up a little bit. I layed the 2nd gen gasket on the heads and traced out where the block protruded into the open gasket part with a sharpie:

3rd gen
100_3051.jpg

after working it out:
100_3056.jpg

2nd gen
100_3053.jpg

3rd gen
100_3052.jpg

after
100_3057.jpg

2nd gen
100_3054.jpg

Picked up the head today from being ported and polished, it turned out great!! this sucker should flow a lot better:rockwoot: well worth the money if you have your head off!!

prepped and primed, Ive got one more coat of primer to shoot then its time for the paint:woohoo: Im using VHT high temp paint. Primer is good to 1200* and the gloss black is good to 950* the clear coat is good to 1200*

100_3087.jpg

100_3088.jpg

You can see the bottom of the intake valley cover once we milled the ribs off and gave it a quick buff.

100_3090.jpg

I think I need to order springs soon...:bang

Springs Ordered! Thanks New Era Diesel Performance!!!

Fluidampr came today :rockwoot:
100_3106.jpg

intake horn, FBD grid heater delete, and intake cover are off to be polished
100_3101.jpg

I did some looking and i can use my stock CR fuel crossover tubes with the stock nuts. Because i have to get some p-pump to 24v lines anyway. I talked to scheids today and can make lines to go from p-pump to CR fuel tubes. I just figure if i have to buy lines anyway. $300 for tubes and $500 for lines vs $500 for lines and use the .093 tubes i allready have that will give me $300 to spend some were else.

that will work as well!! I went with Mikes tubes since I didnt want to mess with new lines...

todays arrival along with a bunch of polishing stuff from Production Tool

100_3109.jpg

I rolled the rig out of hibernation to power wash the engine... turned out pretty good, Now hopefully I wont be covered in oil every time I work on the darn thing.

Before:
100_3133.jpg

After:
100_3135.jpg

I didnt know I had a power steering unit.... just looked like a oil/dirt blob before:bang

100_3139.jpg

6" stack
100_3131.jpg