TS Performance MPD w/HUD Installed

DCSpecial

Mr. Sinister
Well my TS Performance MPD w/HUD arrived on Friday as well and got around to installing it today.
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_001_Large_.jpg

The kit comes complete with everything needed to do the install.
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_004_Large_.jpg

Install is fairly simple.
The main wiring harness has plugs to hook up the monitor and the heads up display. You'll hook up a wire to a keyed hot power source. There's a ground wire. And you'll make 3 wire connections under the hood as well as install a thermocouple in the exhaust manifold to get an EGT reading.

The wiring under the hood entails installing T-taps on 3 different sensors. You'll tap into a wire on the MAP sensor, the ICP sensor and the CPS. The biggest pain for me during the install is the height of my truck. Climbing up and down from a chair to reach the engine bay...and the height made it rather difficult to reach the CPS to make that connection. But, on a stock truck or lower truck this would be much easier.
I'd say start to finish (not stopping to take almost 90 pics LOL ) including drilling and tapping for the thermocouple should be able to be completed within a couple of hours. Of course, the way I mounted the monitor made it take a little longer as well....making the mount and all.

Made a custom mount to mount the monitor coming out of the cubby hole:
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_074_Large_.jpg

8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_073_Large_.jpg

Main menu:
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_054_Large_.jpg

Selecting Vehicle type:
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_059_Large_.jpg

Allows you to set alarms for the following functions:
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_067_Large_.jpg

Set and saved the EGT alarm to go off at 1300*
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_076_Large_.jpg

The alarms will flash if you go over the set value.

To be continued.....

...part 2:

The monitor is very easy to see and you can adjust the brightness level:
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_083_Large_.jpg

8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_085_Large_.jpg

You can also adjust the brightness level of the Heads Up Display part. I have mine mounted to shine at the lower corner of the windshield by the A-pillar. The piece of tint is supplied with the kit and makes it so you can see the HUD in the day.
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_081_Large_.jpg

Great little product to monitor 4 functions and the Heads Up Display is a really nice feature as well.

While I was at it I put on some TS Performance decals:
8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_049_Large_.jpg

8-27-06_TS_Performance_MPD_with_HUD_053_Large_.jpg

Big Thanks to Dennis and Sheila at TS Performance for the great customer service and the super fast shipping.

And, I have a bunch more pics. I will go into more detail on the install with pics of all the wiring, making the bracket, etc.. at some point during the week.

I just wanted to post up these pics and quick info now since I thought it's a pretty sweet new product :rockwoot:

Very nice!!:rockwoot: Be sure to keep your eyes on the road!!LOL LOL

Hey Dan, how does the TS smoke compare to the DP smoke?
Aside from the shifting, which you said was much better, how is the overall driveability, power, etc..?

nummit said:
Hey Dan, how does the TS smoke compare to the DP smoke?
Aside from the shifting, which you said was much better, how is the overall driveability, power, etc..?

Haven't mashed it in the 140hp setting in the daylight to get a really idea of the amount of smoke. The one time I did it was at night...stopped in the middle of the road under a street light and laid into it. From what I can see...it'll put out a good amount of smoke :rockwoot:

Personally, I like the driveability of the TS Performance better. Very smooth and refined if you're just tooling around. But, when you need to accelerate...it definately is quicker to get up and go than the DP stuff I ran.

Power:
TS Performance 75hp seems to outpull the DP 80hp
TS 100 hp seems to perform close to the DP 120
TS 140 just straight moves out :evil

I fear this may not be good for my poor old Autometer boost gauge. That little guy isn't used to rapidly being jerked up that quickly to 25-30lbs of boost like that....at least not since the last time I ran TS Performance tunes LOL LOL

Overall, extremely pleased with the TS Performance chip.
I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to my truck...and this chip performs the best by far :D

DCSpecial,

We have sold a bunch of those and so far everybody has nothing to say but good about it. Lots of flexibility, easy install etc etc.

Mark @ DPPI

DCSpecial said:
Overall, extremely pleased with the TS Performance chip.
I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to my truck...and this chip performs the best by far :D

Dan I couldn't agree more. I am impressed with all of the things I have gotten from TS. I loved my MPD, (until the little bastages stole it):bang. The 5X for a cookie cutter type of box is the best I have tried for smooth strong power. And as far as customer service, Dennis and Sheila are among the tops. Glad they made that old worn out 7.3 of yours run:poke: :poke: :shake:

Tim

Dalpilot said:
Dan I couldn't agree more. I am impressed with all of the things I have gotten from TS. I loved my MPD, (until the little bastages stole it):bang. The 5X for a cookie cutter type of box is the best I have tried for smooth strong power. And as far as customer service, Dennis and Sheila are among the tops. Glad they made that old worn out 7.3 of yours run:poke: :poke: :shake:

Tim

Tim,
Oh yeah....Dennis and Sheila have been awesome to deal with :bow:

I got out of work early due to the rain so I went home to shower and decided to get my SD out of the garage and drive it back to the office. I have the ICP up on the Headups part...and was curious to see what is was when I got on it a little. I was cruising in the 75hp...leaned into to at about 3/4 throttle and she really moved out..... Resulted in: :D :woohoo: :shake: :ylsuper:

And best of all.....no harsh downshift out of OD anymore....that about makes me as happy as the power with their programming :Cheer:

Figured out how to look up the max stored values (reading the operating manual completely would have made me check it sooner :doh: )...just have to hit one button LOL . That's pretty cool :ylsuper: . Shows all the max EGT, Boost, RPM, and ICP values (ICP on the 7.3). Pretty sweet feature if you're doing test runs with different stuff and don't have time to watch all your gauges at once :rockwoot:

Been raining today....haven't been able to run the 140 setting...talk about major wheel spin LOL

In the 75hp setting...I never floored it, and had 26lbs as a max. value.

Tim,
Yeah...that's good for a 7.3 in a mild setting that's not floored (stock inj, stock turbo, etc.). The TS Performance program have always given me a good amount of boost...and that boost gauge jumps up quickly with their programming :rockwoot:

the boost will climb right up there when the HPOP pressure drops off, puts a heck of a load on it, ull notice the EGTs go up to. max boost will prob be less at wot then at part throttle during that situation. dual hpop time...

When the boost jumps up the EGTs haven't been bad....never gotten to 1200*. When I got on it in the 75hp pretty good and jumped up to 26lbs of boost, EGTs were well under 1200*, and ICP was over 3100

your hpop must be a heck of a lot stronger then mine, i can only get 1500psi at wot on my 80 setting, sucks.