Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Articles
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ford Articles Write your own Ford Articles

Closed Article

Article Tools
TS Performance MPD w/HUD install TS Performance MPD w/HUD install
Written by DCSpecial
DCSpecial
09-04-2006
With the wide variety of ways we can add power to our diesel engines today, it’s very important to keep an eye on the vital functions of our trucks. I like my analog Autometer gauges, but I wanted something more centralized with memory and high limit alarms. With that in mind, I knew there was one product that could meet my needs best: the TS Performance MPD with the Heads Up Display. The folks at TS did a really good job on the design and production of the MPD w/ HUD.

I called and talked for a bit with Dennis Perry, CEO of TS Performance regarding the installation and operation of this product. Sounded like what I was looking for and a fairly easy product to install so I ordered one up to install on my 2001 Ford F-350 with the 7.3L PSD engine. For the 7.3 PSD the MPD w/HUD monitors EGT, Boost, RPM, and ICP. Two days after talking with Dennis, the TS Performance MPD w/ HUD was sitting outside of my front door.

Click the image to open in full size.

Opening the box, I found everything I needed to get this product installed on my truck:

After reading over the owner’s manual with the operating and installation instructions we got to work on the install. The instructions are very well written and make installing the unit a breeze.

The first thing we did was drill and tap for the thermocouple installation into the exhaust manifold. (note: be sure that you have the proper sized drill bit and tap size. Make sure that the tap size matches up to the thermocouple). When you drill, go slowly and be sure to wear eye protection.

Once the hole is drilled you’ll want to tap the hole. Be sure to go slowly running the tap in a small amount and then taking it out to clean out the metal shavings along the way. You don’t want to force the tap since you run a chance of getting it stuck in there and/or dragging too many shavings through and messing up the threads that you are trying to cut.

Once the hole is completely tapped use a magnet to check for any small shavings that made their way into the intake

With the hole drilled and tapped, we installed the thermocouple into the manifold.

Now with the thermocouple installed the rest of the installation is relatively simple.

You’ll route the remaining wires of the harness through the firewall into the engine bay.

The white wire gets tapped into Cam Position Sensor that located on the front side of the engine block. The bottom wire on the plug (usually green) is that one that you tap into. You’ll access the sensor to make the connection from under the truck.

Next you’ll make the connection for your boost reading. The blue wire will connect to the middle wire of the harness coming off of the MAP sensor.

The last sensor you’ll need to tap is the ICP sensor which is located on the driver’s side valve cover. The purple wire from the harness will be tapped into the middle wire of the sensor.

With all the connections made, be sure to go back and secure all the wires under the hood with the wire ties included with the monitor.

Next, I went about deciding where to install the monitor and routing the harness for the Heads Up Display.
The Heads Up Display needs to be mounted on your dash so that it can shine up at the windshield. I installed mine in the lower corner right next to the A-Pillar. It is secured to the dash using a piece of Velcro that it included with the kit. I carefully removed my Autometer A-pillar mount so as not to damage the push pins holding it to the stock A-pillar. I routed the wire harness for the HUD unit down through the hold I have in my stock A-pillar and out the side of the dash.

You also may want to install the piece of tint included with the kit to your windshield to help view the monitor in the daylight.

Now, all that was needed was to run it back under the dash by the fuse panel cover and plug it up to the main harness of the unit.

To mount the main monitor I figured I wanted it someplace that’s easy to see but yet not up in your face on the tap of the dash. So, I decided to make a custom mount to have it coming out of the cubby hole in the lower portion of the dash. First thing was to make a hold in the back of the cubby hole large enough to pass the plug for the harness though.

With the monitor sitting in the cubby hole, the next thing was to route the harness back to under the fuse panel cover to connect up to the main harness.

To mount the monitor I used a rear view mirror mount and some 1”x1”x1/16” aluminum, along with the Velcro provided with the unit.

With the mount made, I super glued it into the cubby hole and secured the monitor to the mount using Velcro.

With the HUD on top of the dash, the monitor mounted and all the connections made under the hood all that was left was to make the power (12v, keyed hot) and ground connections. The wires with the harness are long enough to make these connections under the hood or under the dash. I made the connections under the dash.

That completes the installation of the MPD w/HUD on my 2001 7.3 PSD. In the next article I will cover the operation and overview of the product.

TS Performance
www.tsperformance.com
270-746-9999

Competition Diesel
Bringing The Best Together
www.competiondiesel.com

Article Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Featured Articles

Test Article

Test Article
Daviswilson on 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM
hi

hi to all the members of this forum.I'm really impressed with the thread TS Performance MPD w/HUD install.Really an interesting one and the pics made it more exciting to try .
-------------------------------
Davis.

Foreclosed Homes
mech2161 on 09-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I've had one for a year or so. The original directions had the wrong wire color for the connection at the cam sensor on a 2000 model. Never did get the window film. All in all it's a very good product.
Closed Article

Article Tools