meltdown -- common rail style

jlibert

SW9, timing 4, rail pressure 1
mp8 80%, 26k max rail pressure
EGT 1400 MAX
Flux 4
64/S480

Plenty of air, mild injector, mild rail pressure, timing dialed back, conservative egt, no drugs.

video of day it happened.......
my pull at :30 sec. in
YouTube - Ceres Sled Pull 7/11 www.brownsdiesel.com

Thanks in advance for all of your input.

-J.P.

cumminsblownupengine001.jpg

cumminsblownupengine002.jpg

cumminsblownupengine003.jpg

cumminsblownupengine004.jpg

cumminsblownupengine005.jpg

cumminsblownupengine006.jpg

cumminsblownupengine007.jpg

cumminsblownupengine008-1.jpg

that sucks sorry to hear, this is my biggest fear for my truck...

That sucks dude, hope you get back up and running soon

miles?
- what timing were you running before or has it always been #4?
deff.alot of spray patterns outside the bowl. - the other 2 pistons look perfect????????????
Sounded good days before? could you tell during the run? Sounds after?

OG Killed that pull.

Swole- i'll give you a grand for it!!!!:hehe::kick:

Last edited:
Sorry to see the carnage JP.

Anyone think that possible injector spray pattern could have caused this???

Should fuel spray outside the bowl??

How long does this type of carnage take to happen?? Several pulls, 30sec, 15sec etc...???

Is being too lean just as bad as being too fat???

I have become very concerned that this might be happening to mine as well.

Except I have LOTS of timing rattle at high boost, where JP's truck was WAY quieter than my truck ever has been...I am running the SAME settings he was.

Is every one melting things on sw9 only? Where you over 3200 rpm on that run the entire time?

Mine runs cleaner than that...made a WOTrun last night in Oklahoma till it wouldn't pull any more. My MPD recorded a max EGT of 1391 degrees.
What were the EGT's on that pull ?

Damn JP you did a number on that thing, sorry to hear I hope you get it up a runing even stronger soon.

BBD

He only saw a max of 1400 egt. The truck sounded the same as it always does. He said he felt a loss of power so he backed out of it. When he lifted the upper rad hose blew off. When he felt the loss of power he checked his water temp and egt and said the egt was 1400 and water temp was normal. None of us had any clue the engine was hurt untill he tryed to start it.

Joe

Sh*t what a mess. I'd question the egts with the combo you stated. In comparison SW9 with pressure made close to the same heat without a sled behind. After the 5-7 second pull I'd say that bi*ch was warmer than 1400f.
Regardless sorry it happened,
Rob

how many miles on the motor?

162k.

Is every one melting things on sw9 only? Where you over 3200 rpm on that run the entire time?

yes. left the line at 4,000, pulled about 3800 down the track.

Mine runs cleaner than that...made a WOTrun last night in Oklahoma till it wouldn't pull any more. My MPD recorded a max EGT of 1391 degrees.
What were the EGT's on that pull ?

Never got over 1400 on that pull. That was the hottest it's ever been with this setup. The max i've been able to see on the street is also 1400. I see more boost on the street (a little over 70psi) than I do pulling the sled (a little over 60 psi)

He only saw a max of 1400 egt. The truck sounded the same as it always does. He said he felt a loss of power so he backed out of it. When he lifted the upper rad hose blew off. When he felt the loss of power he checked his water temp and egt and said the egt was 1400 and water temp was normal. None of us had any clue the engine was hurt untill he tryed to start it.

Joe

thanks joe, you pretty much said it for me.

I'd question the egts with the combo you stated. In comparison SW9 with pressure made close to the same heat without a sled behind. After the 5-7 second pull I'd say that bi*ch was warmer than 1400f.

Rob

um, ok.

Back