01 2500 Pulls hard right in 4WD

b4ctrooper

Anger Issues
I tried this in the snow in the past, maybe someone can shed some light on this problem. Now, in 2wd it goes straight as an arrow. I put it in 4wd, pulled out of my driveway, and the truck started pulling hard right. I thought it might be something else as when I put it back in 2wd it still did it till I got onto the main road which was mostly clear. Later I tried the 4wd again on the main rd, and it pulls hard right again, and feels like the front tires were fighting with me. After putting it back in 2wd it still did it for about the next 1/10 of a mile. I'm assuming till the hubs unlock. I checked the frontend, and had 2 different shops check the front end, all steering components are fine (idler and pitman arms good too). Anyone have a suggestion where to look next?

my 02 Chevy did the same, the center link, from tie rod to tie rod, would rotate up as I torque up on the motor. This also made the tires toe in hard. typical GM IFS. All components looked good under inspection, but still would pull and toe in. Jack the front of truck up so front tires are off ground and see if you can push the center link up by hand. I could on mine.

my truck does this as well.How do u go about fixing something like that

tie rod sleeves would be first and foremost. Then there are braces for the pitman & idler arm that are supposed to help keep the centerlink from wrapping like mentioned. Tony Burkahrdt sells a brace that also keeps the centerlink from wrapping up. Or you can swap to an aftermarket centerlink that is straight and thereby doesn't wrap up.

sleeves on the tie rod should go on stock trucks IMO. IF problems still persist (and it has been verified that the tie rod ends, pitman and idler pieces are in good shape) then you can look into further bracing.

I fixed this problem last night. After i changed all the tie rod ends. My center link would still roll up. I changed both pieces of the idler arm and problem gone. No roll on the center link at all. It appeared the idler arm was ok. No apparent wear but a new one fixed the problem. Just my .02$

I have a locker in my front end and in the winter i take out my driverside half shaft. When i put in 4wd my steering wheel will pull to the left when i accelerate but stop when i let off. So if your actuator is bad it would it pull to the right real bad? Just another option.

I'll have to recheck the front end. The weird thing with my truck is whether you're accelerating hard, soft or decelerating, it pulls hard right. All the way till the 4X4 unlocks.

Now it's starting to sound like a drivetrain issue. anything from the diff to the T-case.

You have other issues besides all the stuff you have changed, possibly something broke in your front end, ie, gears etc.

I'm thinking that too. When I bought the truck it was a theft recovery. The first time I tried the 4X4, I had the problem. Anyone have suggestions on how to diagnose this? I was going to get all 4 tires off the ground, check the front end, then put it in gear in 4X4 high (so the tires spin a little slower), and see if they spin at the same rate. Tire size and pressure is the same all around.

Back