03 problems and need help!

chevy_man

ok guys i need your help, im new to cr's and at the end of my rope with this one! a little info on it, Its a 03 sport 4door sb with a auto tranny, has 220,000 miles with edge juice w/ attitude, exhaust and intake.
Bought it with a hard start issue, have to shoot a little ether to get it to fire. so put the scanner on it and found out the cp3 pump wasnt producing near the psi. put a new cp3 pump on fix the problem for a day, came out the next morning and the same issue again, but now you just have to shoot it with ether in the moring then after that it will fire on its own all day. runs like a champ gets 18-19mpg although even with the edge on lvl 5 it still has almost zero smoke as if its starving for fuel. ive swapped the pressure relief valve with a known good one, same results, checked the lift pump and its in good working order. and the fca makes no differance, also has new fuel filter. im in the process of checking the connector tubes but leaning towards weak injectors.
Now for the next issue, tranny has been shifting running like a champ, lastnight stopped at my friends, left and at 55mph to where the converter should lock it just pegged out like you took it out of gear until it slowed down to lower gear speeds. pulled over checked fluid was perfect. took back off and came into a hill and the rpm's went up as the speeds slowed as in the converter slipping. stopped and it puking brown burnt fluid out the bellhousing although the tranny fluid looks as new as when i put it in. hauled it home unloaded it and it wont even think of moving. remover the access plate on the bellhousing and the paint on the torque converter is burnt as like it got really hot. I need it going asap and need help, you guys think it toasted the tranny or just toasted my converter? sorry for the long post but need help! thanks in advance!

You probably need injectors and the edge didn't help your transmission any.

Needs an injector. One or more is returning to much and not allowing the pump to build enough pressure to fire

injectors returning to much fuel. Check ball in tranny line may have stuff in burnt trans up.

Hugh return rate on one or more injectors.

And just because the Trans fluid looks red on stick does not mean it is red in the Trans! The stick will lie. More than Likely you burnt some clutch packs up in your Trans.

Converter sent metal through your trans...stupid to bandaid it with a converter when its all going to have to be gone through, especially with 220k on it.

Ok so today changed fluid and filter in the tranny and she shifts like a champ! better than it ever has. I know it obviously had to have done some damage and this is just a temporary fix so starting to save some pennies for a tranny. And im guessing i'll be pulling the injectors to be tested. thanks so much for the help guys!

Ok so today changed fluid and filter in the tranny and she shifts like a champ! better than it ever has. I know it obviously had to have done some damage and this is just a temporary fix so starting to save some pennies for a tranny. And im guessing i'll be pulling the injectors to be tested. thanks so much for the help guys!

Your a champ! More than likely its the injectors giving you hard start! I had the same problem too

Last edited:

Black filmy material on the bottom of the pan?

Just figgured ide let you guys know, put new injectors and got the tranny rebuilt by firepunk. Truck is fixed and running great, thanks everyone for their help, and a big thanks to firepunk diesel!

Back