03 vs later year turbos

Rob D

Get R' Done
is the 03 stock turbo better than persay my 06...or does it just sound better bc they do not have the silencer ring?

03's have a silencer ring and I think they are capable of a lil' more power because something on it is 3mm bigger....just not sure what. lol They are also capable of more boost. non vgt is the way to go, imo.

Chit..I was thinking I remembered reading they didn't have one...when the post was just that it is easier to remove on the 03s...whoooops.

So is the turbo the main reason why the 03s make about 30 hp more than the 06s....with the SCT...or is that also FICM programming etc...

My buddy has an 04 CC (birth date sometime in 03) long bed...and he hangs right next to me when we race and I have a ext cab short bed. Same mods...different companies, we both run looney ... I have an intake elbow over him though. Hopefully DJs fuel kit will give me a nose length....grrr

I'm by no means an expert but I recall reading something about the 03's having a different vane count than the 04's which have yet another vane count than the 05+ with each year increasingly being quieter and less desirable turbo wise. I believe the vane counts increased with the year, 03's having 10.

all the garret vvt's that come on 6.0l's have 9 vanes. On the exhaust side imepller there are 10 "fins" on the 2003 and 15 exhaust side "fins" on the 2005-07. Not sure about 2004, I've never seen an exhaust side with 13 fins.

So would I get an extra 30 HP or so if I could get my hands on an 03 turbo? Would it bolt directly up??

lol...I wish i could afford to spend $650 just for the whistle ...

Maybe it's the reflection, but it sure looks like the exhaust side has some dings on the fins...

Back