.040 Cylinders?????

BigYellowIron

Diesel Tech
Whats your guys opinion on running a pulling engine with the cylinders bored .040 over? I have heard several different stories. I have a block that had to be bored I was going to use, but Im a little nervious. I was going to use Mahle pistons. Looking for 5000 rpm large single turbo engine.

Whats your thoughts.

Thanks
Adam

Are you talking rules or fatigue on the block?

My understanding is, it doesn't matter as long as it was an option for 1 ton or smaller. I know of a few guys stroking their Duramax's and pulling with this.

Sorry I should have been more clear.
I'm worried about the structural integrity of the block.

Go for it I would I'm not scared.I'm going more on my mod motor for the supermod 2wd

Personally, I wouldn't do it considering the amount of money & time you spend getting a block properly setup for a puller. Why start with a block that is already at the limit?

Are you going to fill the block?

40 over is the limit cummins says they can be bored to run again my 97 is getting bored 40 over but it's not going be a pulling motor either mostly street driving

If you are worried then have the block sonic tested. Then you know what you have and not guessing.

Are you talking rules or fatigue on the block?

My understanding is, it doesn't matter as long as it was an option for 1 ton or smaller. I know of a few guys stroking their Duramax's and pulling with this.

for a small fee of $12,800 plus installation.:doh:

Its a 7.1L stroker kit from socal diesel if anybody didnt already know.

Adam, a .020" cut would be fine - just don't expect to get another rebuild out of the block... don't forget to sonic it for core shift before dumping a bunch of $$$.

Filling the block would help keep the cylinders from ballooning at high pressure, but IMO it's a wash from losing the coolant proximity with all the extra heat load from high HP.

An '04.5+ CR block would be 1st choice - might want to consider restricting coolant flow in graduated steps to keep #5 & #6 temps in check.

What are the Mahle piston's specs? Decided on a ring package yet? :pop:

Personally, I wouldn't do it considering the amount of money & time you spend getting a block properly setup for a puller. Why start with a block that is already at the limit?

Are you going to fill the block?

You can put a sleeve in a hole if you melt one.

question is do they make a larger sleeve to install in the engine that you could bore to 40 or even 60 over and still have the same wall thickness.

Adam, a .020" cut would be fine - just don't expect to get another rebuild out of the block... don't forget to sonic it for core shift before dumping a bunch of $$$.

Filling the block would help keep the cylinders from ballooning at high pressure, but IMO it's a wash from losing the coolant proximity with all the extra heat load from high HP.

An '04.5+ CR block would be 1st choice - might want to consider restricting coolant flow in graduated steps to keep #5 & #6 temps in check.

What are the Mahle piston's specs? Decided on a ring package yet? :pop:

Are you talking about using a sonic thickness gauge to test the wall thickness of each cylinder? If so I have one of those I was using for cylinder head porting?

Adam

Yes Chad I`m speaking from alot of experience in the fine art of piston melting:hehe::hehe: .040 is still the limit. but they still have to be bored & honed after they are installed.

Icould maybe do som digging and find a few trucks. I know they're out there but what trucks they are on I dont know. And who will admit to having one is the big question as well.

Back