05 CR Idling down problem and high egt's

Whitbread

One of my friends just bought a used 05 CR automatic and it has an issue that has me and all my friends baffled.

When in neutral or park only, if you blip the throttle lightly, it'll jump up to ~2k and idle back down slowly in steps over 6-8 seconds. Reminds me of toggling rpms down with a pto switch on a big rig if that makes more sense. The truck drives fine down the road. The only known mods are straight exhaust, autometer gauges, and a diablosport programmer. It does the idle issue even on the stock tune. No check engine lights and none of the sensor readings look out of place on a scanner. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

The other issue is that the truck will peg a 1600F egt gauge in 5 seconds or less from a rolling ~30mph at WOT even on just the tow tune. Boost is 25-28psi and just a haze out of the stacks; no coal. It's an autometer gauge and probe, reads ~350F at hot idle and ~100F for every 10mph going down the road just like it should. I know these motors run hot with the small stock turbine housing but this seems excessive to me. The truck scoots but isn't fast enough to have injectors or pump work in it. The airfilter is good and clean, theres no cat to plug up, no smoke, ic isn't plugged with crap, fan clutch is good and working, and no driving issues.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, it still does it, although not as bad, with the computer on stock. It also still has high egt's with a light haze. Takes about 3-4 seconds longer to peg the gauge.

Try and find another downloader, I ran a Diablo for about 5 minutes on mine once. It idled like chit, hard starts, and didnt make much power... I hated it. Even after I returned it to stock, the problems were still there from the chitty software it loaded back in... loaded and unloaded a Smarty and all the problems went away.

any smoke on first start of the day? hard start? fuel mileage down?

FCA? hanging injector?
No smoke, no hard starts, getting about 17mpg average with 37's and an occasionally heavy foot. Don't know if mileage is down or not, he's only had the truck 2 weeks.

Try and find another downloader, I ran a Diablo for about 5 minutes on mine once. It idled like chit, hard starts, and didnt make much power... I hated it. Even after I returned it to stock, the problems were still there from the chitty software it loaded back in... loaded and unloaded a Smarty and all the problems went away.
Interesting to hear. It starts and idles fine, just idles down weird out of gear. I already suggested getting another programmer as I'd never heard of anyone running or liking a diablosport programmer on a CR. I'll guess I'll suggest it harder haha :poke:

just bought me a edge with attitude for my truck. with the new cs screen. runs good. but egt r still high. had them in the high 12s getting on it. any one help me. around town its 6-7 hundred.

you don't want to sit there and hold it at 1300*, but 1300* "getting on it" with the stock turbo isn't bad at all...

compare it to 1600+ of the OP

1300 still isnt bad, at a rated condition an ISB will hit 1300 port temps all day on a stock cal.

sorry i cant be any help with the truck...

The only known mods are straight exhaust, autometer gauges, and a diablosport programmer.

The other issue is that the truck will peg a 1600F egt gauge in 5 seconds or less

I just went through this with my truck to some degree. EGT's were way to high and I couldn't figure out why. I just changed out my Autometer EGT gauge and pyro thermocouple for ones made by Exhaust Gas Technologies and EGT's are down across the board. Driving around on just injectors truck just touches 1100* where before I was well over 1300*.
I Don't know whether it was the gauge or the probe due to changing them both out at the same time.

Back