06 6.0 coolant

jaime355

Six Slow
Can anyone help me out, I was having issues with my truck this summer and losing my coolant, I kept putting water in it because it was leaking, all the problems are fixed now and I need to fill it with coolant now. What should I put in it? Everyone seems to have diff ideas, auto zone is a half mile from me so it would be nice if it was something I could pick up there. Thanks

I recommend you do a full flush and replace it with Ford Gold coolant. Also, put a coolant filter on it (duck_04 is selling a Sinister coolant filtration system which is what I have) afterward to save your oil cooler. It will save you a lot of trouble in the long run. If you have questions PM me, I recently did a full coolant system flush and oil cooler replacement :)

Ford gold. Don't be a sheep like the others. ELC is not a gift from God!

My .02; Coolant flush and put ford gold back in it, thats what I would do.

The Zerex G-05 is the same as Motorcraft Gold. You don't think Motorcraft produces their own fluids do you?

Not trying to start an argument here but why do you think a coolant that Ford also put in my daughter's 4cyl gas engine Focus is the best choice for use in this diesel engine?

Last edited:

That is old and outdated information. It says there is no need for supplemental additives, which Ford now acknowledges are needed in our application at 50K. It also refers to "universal coolants". EC-1 rated coolants are not universal. Nor do they require additives for 300K.

I see nothing in that piece of Ford literature which would persuade me to believe a coolant which needs the additional steps of regular testing and supplemental additives at 50K (coupled with changing it at 100K) is the best choice when there are alternatives that have been proven to work better with less/no need for routine testing/maintenance until 300K. But thanks for supplying your reasoning. To each his/her own I guess.

Back