1/2 Ton Dodge is it legal for prostreet racing questions?

Freezingsystems

Modify Everything
Hey Guys,

Getting ready to start building a prostreet truck my motor is almost done 1.5 years later and the motor at least will be ready for this season however having second thoughts on my choice of chassis. I have a 2nd gen excab long bed 4X4 but really not up to the heavy weight it brings to the track to be competitive so have an oppertuinity to pick up a clean 1/2 ton short bed 4X4 to build from. Questions I have looked for with the search button and have not come up with any solid answers so looking for a little help.

Target hp fuel only 1200 plus. Standalone CR.
Target finshed weight 6,000lbs or less

5 lug axles (strange 40 spline with heavy duty studs) are they legal on the track with a heavy diesel? Reason good choice on slicks and rims?
Will a reg cab short bed truck 4x4 be sketchy on the track 1/4 mile?
Anyone know the weight difference in going 2500 4x4 excab shortbed to a 1/2 ton 4x4 regcab shrtbed?
Any other legality issues besides the obvious cage etc?
what is the min weight for prostreet?

thank you in advance for help in this. Hate doing things 3 times already. I will post a thread of my motor build and than the truck glad I waited to post because machine shop took over 9 months and just recieved my crate of parts a week ago block on stand and bottom end going back together.

Thanks, Chris

Hey Guys,

Getting ready to start building a prostreet truck my motor is almost done 1.5 years later and the motor at least will be ready for this season however having second thoughts on my choice of chassis. I have a 2nd gen excab long bed 4X4 but really not up to the heavy weight it brings to the track to be competitive so have an oppertuinity to pick up a clean 1/2 ton short bed 4X4 to build from. Questions I have looked for with the search button and have not come up with any solid answers so looking for a little help.

Target hp fuel only 1200 plus. Standalone CR.
Target finshed weight 6,000lbs or less

5 lug axles (strange 40 spline with heavy duty studs) are they legal on the track with a heavy diesel? Reason good choice on slicks and rims?
Will a reg cab short bed truck 4x4 be sketchy on the track 1/4 mile?
Anyone know the weight difference in going 2500 4x4 excab shortbed to a 1/2 ton 4x4 regcab shrtbed?
Any other legality issues besides the obvious cage etc?
what is the min weight for prostreet?

thank you in advance for help in this. Hate doing things 3 times already. I will post a thread of my motor build and than the truck glad I waited to post because machine shop took over 9 months and just recieved my crate of parts a week ago block on stand and bottom end going back together.

Thanks, Chris

Sounds like a cool build. Hell, i thought you were dead.

Sounds like a cool build. Hell, i thought you were dead.

No not dead yet unless work gets the best of me we have been swamped with work hope to have time to get this build done. Really want and should buy your truck its the perfect fit for my motor to start with but just weighing out the options and final cost in the long run.

As long as you make weight and meet the nhra rules foe the time you run
CompD Mobile Device

My 12v halfton has a single turbo, turbo 400 trans, full interior, power steering, power brakes, pw, pl. tailgate and bumpers still on it, without a cage, and weighs in just under 4500.

Thanks for the info guys good start. Anyone know on the 5 lug will it pass tech? I remember racingdualle posting about his conversion back in the day about this maybe not passing I have yet to see someone say no problem.

My 12v halfton has a single turbo, turbo 400 trans, full interior, power steering, power brakes, pw, pl. tailgate and bumpers still on it, without a cage, and weighs in just under 4500.

No driver? Any weight cut?

No driver, and no weight cuts. I think a guy can gut the interior, tailgate and rear bumper and add a cage and still weigh the same or less.

Thanks for the info guys good start. Anyone know on the 5 lug will it pass tech? I remember racingdualle posting about his conversion back in the day about this maybe not passing I have yet to see someone say no problem.
no problem with a 5 lug setup.

2:2 Axle retention devices
Stock C clips prohibited, Axle retention device minimum .120" aluminum or .090" steel bearing retainer mandatory.

2:11 Rear end
welded spider gears prohibited. Aftermarket axles and axle retention device mandatory on 10.99or quicker or mandatory on any car (regardless of class or ET) with a spool.

Just the short versions NHRA 2011 rule book. No mention of how many lugs anywhere.

Last edited:
2:2 Axle retention devices
Stock C clips prohibited, Axle retention device minimum .120" aluminum or .090" steel bearing retainer mandatory.

2:11 Rear end
welded spider gears prohibited. Aftermarket axles and axle retention device mandatory on 10.99or quicker or mandatory on any car (regardless of class or ET) with a spool.

Just the short versions NHRA 2011 rule book. No mention of how many lugs anywhere.

Very nice thank you guys have some homework to do on this. Or buy somones light roller to drop my motor in and jump start my racing season.

Thanks, Chris

Yup, no problem on 5-lug, and aftermarket axles are required with a spool or if quicker than 10.99. We run 5-lug on DirtyMax.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Back