1-Ton Diet

Dual EE

We will be having our first local diesel truck drag race here on June 24th. I am looking to remove a few non essential items to lighten her up. I only want to remove things that are somewhat easy like the spare tire and 2nd battery. I am wondering about the tailgate. Is this more essential for aerodynamic reasons to keep it on or will the benifit be greater (weight wise) with the removal of it? I also have 2wd drive, so is the tailgate weight more important for traction (hooking up)?

Easy there Jeff. Not looking to turn my DD truck into skin and bones. Just looking to remove a few extra pounds. Just hoping this phat 2wd pig can make it into the high 14's.

The tailgate is going to depend on what speeds you are going to run. If you are going to be over 100 mph, leave it on because there is better aerodynamics. If under, take it off to loose the weight :)

Dockboy,
Thanks for thinking or the consideration I might get above 100 mph in the 1/4. The tailgate will be coming off. My top speed per my speedo (which is probably off a bit) is 95 mph.

Update

Well as I had hoped, the truck just made it into the high 14's.

14.9 at 90mph w/a 2.3 60'. This beats the previous run of 16.9 at 80 mph.

I think I would leave the 2nd battery in...or have a charger back at the pits. You don't want to run your fuel pump less than it's full potential.

Back