10 mpg pulling a 2 place snowmobile trailer

revolutiondsl

Cat buys my Cummins parts
My truck is an 07 5.9 automatic mega cab dually, stock size tires, 3.73 gears, all stock engine with a smarty set on 5. I pulled a clam shell enclosed snowmobile trailer that is pretty light less then 1500 lbs. I drove to Michigan 362 miles and filled up 35 gallons. Did I m
Cruise was set at 68mph the whole way. What am I missing this seems low since I can 12 with my gooseneck and pulling truck on there

Winter fuel? Plus remember the clam shell trailer probably has a lot more wind resistance.
I would get better mileage towing my pulling truck(grossing about 21K) than I got towing a 4 placed enclosed(grossing about 12K)

You get worse mileage using cruise (and I mean no disrespect) than if you know how to drive the truck. I've seen a 2 mpg drop with winter fuel combined with high winds that have been around lately. Of you were driving into a sting headwind I could understand a decrease in mpg.

#1 fuel is your major problem. Everyone always blends to heavy, #2 in a clean fuel system is fine until you get to sub zero temps. I normally run straight 2 all winter but my truck stays in a heated garage at night.

I know you can drive with your foot and get better mileage but im not driving 6 hours without cruise since I was tired and it was late. The worst mileage I've ever got was 8 pulling 300 bales of heavy tight bales of hay from northern Wisconsin to home. That was over 30k gross and was 12set ft tall. I pulled that during the winter also

the clamshell trailers dont help at all...i know i get about 10mpg with mine driving at 70-75. however if i take it slow and go 65 the whole way i get around 14. the wind resistance on those trailers is crazy. my truck empty does 19.5mpg consistently.

I want to hear an explanation on this? I've always wondered which way was to get better MPG with cruise on or off.

Want the best mileage?

Keep a light foot, let your speed drop going up the hills, and accelerate going down the hills. It will make folks behind you furious, but you will get the best mileage.

Now think about how your cruise works... Then you will see why it won't get you the best mileage.

I do that and can get good mileage but it takes a little more concentration and honestly after working all night and being up 24+ hours I wanted to get there. Coming back I got about 14 so the headwind had alot to do with it. I think next time I'll just take my old 02 gmc half ton it gets almost the same mileage just on 87it octane.

Want the best mileage?

Keep a light foot, let your speed drop going up the hills, and accelerate going down the hills. It will make folks behind you furious, but you will get the best mileage.

Now think about how your cruise works... Then you will see why it won't get you the best mileage.

Yeah that makes sense... I just love cruise too much I guess I wont worry about it. If I don't use cruise then I will look down and be going 80. :lolly:

I've noticed that I've been getting some ****ty mileage here lately also, been getting around 15-16 mpg. All I know is I'm ready for the warm weather to get here so I don't have to start the truck up 5-10 mins before I have to leave, I'm sure that doesn't help at all.

Last edited:
Back