12v Excursion With Dodge trans?

Bobus

Powerstroked
So i'm getting ready to swap a '96 12v into a '00 Ford Excursion. The Ex is a 6.8l Auto. I'm wondering how hard is it to put a 47re or 47rh in instead of the 4r100. Which of those 2 trans would be a better choice? Id like to be able to run the trans without a PCS. Simple is Key. Thanks

trans mount is only off by 1", you can modify the mount to work. Swap input shaft in transfer case and it bolts right up. Make a mount for the shift cable at the trans and it snaps on as well. Driveshafts are correct length to work if you go that route. Trans control is up to you, I used a pcs because it was the only controller available at the time, now there are better choices or go the 47rh route.

I have a 12v X, with a 4r100 using a PCS to control it. I'm happy with it now that its done but the gas X cross memember sits farther forward then then the diesel does. I ended up moving mine back 3.5" so i could run a mechincal fan. This puts the back VC about .5" from the fire wall.

I went with the 4r100 as I already had one that was built and found a cheap adapter plate/flywheel.

So what's the difference in trans on a 47rh and a 47re?

So what's the difference in trans on a 47rh and a 47re?

Simple terms: RH is automatic hydraulic shift for 1,2 and 3 but still need to control lockup and overdrive with 12v supply power and switched grounds to activate either. RE is electronic so either full manual valve body and shift manual with lockup and overdrive on switches or go stand alone electronics IE PCS or Firepunk Anteater. I reccomend using Firepunk Anteater for better tech support and cost.

I would go for the 4R100 myself unless the Dodge transmission is really built it will break easily.

Im in the proccess of doing the same thing right now. I think im going to stick with a ford tranny. Just cant decide if i want to keep the one that is in it or go for the 5r110.

Last edited:
This isn't gonna be a hp monster, it will run at or just above stock power as a rig for the wife. With that in mind I think the Dodge trans will hold up. Just trying to find a few ways to make this swap a bit cheaper and no adapter plate is a good start

In that case, I am still thinking 47re with a controller. If you go with the RH and don't have a PCM, you're going to need to put the overdrive and torque converter lock up on a switch or get creative with an Arduino.

If it were you driving it, I'd say an RH would be fine because you might not mind hitting the OD and lockup button.

Back