13mm P7100 Cam grind help

JAYBIRD88

The sponge
Hi, I'm new to this site and am unsure if this is exactly where I need to be, but hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. Well that being said...

I recently bought myself a new to me 13mm P7100 that was built by Northeast Diesel Service Of Missouri. This pump was benched and maxed at 990cc in 2017. It is sealed system pump. I called and spoke with Kevin who built the pump and he wouldn't give up any information on it other than it would burn itself up being self contained and that it would need to be converted back to a shared oiling system to be driven on the street. He also told me it might or might not have to aggressive of a cam grind for the street and that it would wear out right away. My main goal is to not turn this expensive pump into a core by wearing it out. Maybe you guys could give me some input as it looks like the cam has similar ramps to a Hamilton 2.75 cam except it looks to have a wider peak dwelling area. I'm pretty green to injection pumps but would definitely like to learn so please school me! The pump is for my hot street truck that is a dt360 with compound turbos. I know it isn't a Cummins but alot of swap guys aren't trying to build big power.

Thank you in advanced!

Jay

Attachments

• 20200420_203929.jpg
    20200420_203929.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200420_203921.jpg
    20200420_203921.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200420_203934.jpg
    20200420_203934.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200420_203946.jpg
    20200420_203946.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 0
I think the main problem with running a reground cam on the street is the loss of surface hardening on the cam. But if only the fill side has been reground, and not the injection side it would probably be a lot less of an issue. Another thing I see on your pump is a very steep drop-off on the fill side, that is hard on rollers and the cam.

Last edited:
Do you think that is something that will deeply compromise the longevity of this pump? I'm not expecting to put hundreds of thousands of miles on it, as the truck is a summer toy. However I really don't want to burn it up after 10k miles

If that's the cam I think it is the first 2 versions were known to wear out very quickly because the rollers would beat the edges down near the peak, they would only last a season or 2 in a pull truck. The 3rd version is supposed to live a lot longer, and it looks to be the same as yours from the picture I have. That's the info I got from the shop that ground it, I haven't put a pump together with that cam yet so can't speak from experience. Coated rollers would help it live a longer life, you should be able to tell if you can get a good look at one.

A hardcore Pulling pump Isn’t made to drive thousands of miles or even hundreds of miles .. sale it and get a street 13mm

Back