186 Hydro?

sootfoot

IH Nut
Have the opportunity to possibly buy a cab 186 Hydro, not sure on the year, but it obviously has the N/A DT436 in it. Is it possible to throw a manifold and turbo on it and turn the pump up some and have a good running tractor?

Was raised on a 1066 slightly fueled up, but thats the old mans tractor and I want one of my own. Also have a neighbors white 2-135 that I would love to pull right along with.

Side note-White 2-135 is a pulling SOB with the Herc in it

Have the opportunity to possibly buy a cab 186 Hydro, not sure on the year, but it obviously has the N/A DT436 in it. Is it possible to throw a manifold and turbo on it and turn the pump up some and have a good running tractor?

Was raised on a 1066 slightly fueled up, but thats the old mans tractor and I want one of my own. Also have a neighbors white 2-135 that I would love to pull right along with.

Yeah, the old 478 Hercules is a darn fine engine!!

I'm sure you could throw a charger on it, but remember it's a Hydro...I'm not an IH guy, but I highly doubt the Hydro will take much extra power and hard pulling.

Chris

true, didn't think about that, my major concern was if the pistons had oil squirters on them, I think the Hydro 100's with the DT414 had no squirters so there is some hesitation about putting turbos on them

And yes the herc is a monster, I am surprised you don't see more of them in farm stock classes. Hell don't think I ever seen one

true, didn't think about that, my major concern was if the pistons had oil squirters on them, I think the Hydro 100's with the DT414 had no squirters so there is some hesitation about putting turbos on them

And yes the herc is a monster, I am surprised you don't see more of them in farm stock classes. Hell don't think I ever seen one

You could probably do a little digging on Case's online parts books and see if the 186's had piston cooling. I would ask around my shop, but I'm sure no one would know for sure. Don't really know any old IH guys to ask...

We're building a 478 Hercules now for a 2150 Oliver...the rods are massive, big valves, good sized ports in the head, and plenty of 9/16 studs holding down split heads....I really don't know why you don't see any of these pulling...everyone goes with the 3208 CAT instead. Only down fall I see in the Herc is it's not a cross flow head design.

Chris

Where I pull farm stock up in Maine I have seen a few 2-135's pull but they just weren't competitive at all. 1855 Ollies or 1850's with the perkins oh and my favorite the 1950GM(I love that 4-53) or 2-105 do great and then up to the 2-155 or 2255 and even 2-180are great but that in between 2-135 and I have seen a few owned by different people, just couldn't cut it. I'm not saying I don't like them, Up their you don't see much JD green. It is IH or Farmall, Or Ollie green or White. I pull IH and my brother pulls Oliver just so we can keep it competitve in the family also.

2-155 and 2-135 are the same engine...2255 and 2-180 could be the same, either the 3150 or 3208 CAT on the 2255;)

The 4-53 in the 1950's are fun too...we have 3 now in different Olivers...along with a 2150, 2255, G1355 MM (585CID engine:D), and a bunch of other stuff. Those big old Diesel antiques are getting to the point where we can afford to collect them...most people can't haul a tractor weighing 12K+ lbs, so they are getting very reasonable!

Just need to find one to pull a little bit...just hate taking a good tractor apart and ruining it!
Chris

Don't ask me why the 2-135 is such a dog in farm stock pulling but the ones I have seen pull were. I have seen a couple 2-155's with a cummins in them and they are hard to beat. Another one that I want to get one day is a massey 1155. I have seen one pull farm stock and no one could touch it. 2255 couldn't beat it with a 3208. That ole 540 perkins is a horse. It looked good to. The guy took off the cab and put fenders on it and it looked good.
Oh, You don't have to make a dedicated farm stock puller. Most of the tractors at our pulls are daily use farm tractors. Not much for them to do in the summer so add a hitch, Tires and some weight brackets and have fun then back to farming.

I love the old olivers and whites

my uncle is the one with the 2-135, and she pulls her ass off, he also has a 105 and a 1955, which is by far favorite.

My dad is all IH and Massey

Don't ask me why the 2-135 is such a dog in farm stock pulling but the ones I have seen pull were. I have seen a couple 2-155's with a cummins in them and they are hard to beat. Another one that I want to get one day is a massey 1155. I have seen one pull farm stock and no one could touch it. 2255 couldn't beat it with a 3208. That ole 540 perkins is a horse. It looked good to. The guy took off the cab and put fenders on it and it looked good.
Oh, You don't have to make a dedicated farm stock puller. Most of the tractors at our pulls are daily use farm tractors. Not much for them to do in the summer so add a hitch, Tires and some weight brackets and have fun then back to farming.

Oh, 2-155 with a Cummins is a different animal. Also, on that old 1155, very well could have had a 640 Perkins in it too, that would really make it run;)

All of our stuff is either for sale, or in the collection...not really wanting to mess anything up adding hitches and what not...and it never seems I can do anything halfway:D

Chris

Oh, 2-155 with a Cummins is a different animal. Also, on that old 1155, very well could have had a 640 Perkins in it too, that would really make it run;)

All of our stuff is either for sale, or in the collection...not really wanting to mess anything up adding hitches and what not...and it never seems I can do anything halfway:D

Chris

That 1155 could have had a 640 but we are dyno checked and can only go 15% over stock for farm stock. No gray areas at our pull except for the occasional guy trying to put different badges on his tractor for more power (farmall 450 with 560 badging) and the classes go up 2k at a time 60hp-6k on up to 220hp-22k

That 1155 could have had a 640 but we are dyno checked and can only go 15% over stock for farm stock. No gray areas at our pull except for the occasional guy trying to put different badges on his tractor for more power (farmall 450 with 560 badging) and the classes go up 2k at a time 60hp-6k on up to 220hp-22k

Oh, nice! Our local rules are nothing like that!

I could go for rules like that with our stuff...wouldn't take a bunch of mods to play a little!
Chris

I have a 986 that I put the turbo, manifold and air cleaner assembly off a 1586 on. Took it to an IH dealer with a dyno and turned the fuel up to make 150 PTO horsepower on his dyno. Been running it that way for 3 or 4 years now with no problems.

Oh, nice! Our local rules are nothing like that!

I could go for rules like that with our stuff...wouldn't take a bunch of mods to play a little!
Chris

It doesn't take any mods at all if you don't want to. The diesels do have abit of advantage over gas cause they can get right to that 15% mark but I am the one that put the 560 decals on my 450. The only way I could get up to my 15% was to punch it out to 306ci then as luck would have it I was over but not over for a 560. Alot of guys take smaller tractors and do the same with badges and we all know that tractor isn't what the badge says but it is all good fun. OH, Everyone dyno's for each class they pull and can pull as many as they want and the top 4 are dyno'd after just to be sure they are spot on and take the places for the class.

hydro wont stand much more power than stock, hydros were ok for some jobs but most hydro tractors are no longer being used for work because rebuilding or replacing hydro cost about as much as entire tractor is worth.

Sorry to derail the thread there for a bit but I was going to ask why you were leaning towards a hydro?

Back