1999 f 550 breaking wheel studs

dieselgas-03

Equipment repair tech
i have 99 f 500 with a service body on it it wieghs in around 17000 pounds just under max gvw its keep breaking the driver side rear wheel studs off i have been torqing them to 130ftbls and they are oem parts i can not find any reason why they keep breaking the rims do not apear to be moving around at all and when they break the ones left are still tight any one have a good reason why they are breaking thank you for all answers

maybe re-torque them after about 10 miles after install. The rim could not be on straight and they will work loose from the rotation of the wheel.

thanks for the idea but i am already on that one have been watching them torqing them every morning and the ones that dont break are still tight

figured out the problem

so i have found out why the studs were braking off well lets put it as it seems to be working i had goten two new rims a while ago and they were together on a side of the rear axel the tires had come off to get painted and when the go put on the two rims got split up and but on oposite sides of the axel i put them back to gether and have had no issues since then thanks for all the thought s

well i have a update on the wheel studs breaking it seems to have stoppped now that i rotated my tires back to the way they were originally and keep the two rims that got replaced together i have had not issue with about 20thousand miles on the truck so hopefully it helps out someone a little bit

Back