20-145 vs SQHD

dieselpolaris

Done alot of reading and cant seem to come up with what im looking for. Wanting to go to a big rear this year in our 3.0 truck. Wondering what the difference between these two axles is. Dont quite have the money to do the TRB setup this year so axle would be run stock with the brakes and what not stripped out. Just looking for input on which axle would be better. Found a guy locally that has complete 20-145's for 750 bucks. Wondering if this is a fair price or if i should continue looking for sqhd? Thanks

^ what he said. The sqhds are getting harder to find. I believe the 20-145 is every bit as good if not better. And I think that's a good deal for a complete axle. What r/p does it have?

Getting one with 5.29 or 4.88. We are still using nv4500 and 271 case so I need a useable ratio.

I have a 4:88 for a 20-145 if needed six hooks 300. Shipped if it helps

seems like a fair price, I have a stock SQHD for sale. Also have an alum center for it if you are interested. PM for specifics.

the only thing i dont like about the 20-145's is no one is making a billet yoke yet from what we've heard and if you go to a ODL ratio like 6.20s someday the sqhd r/p is about $500 cheaper than a 20-145

Forgive my ignorance. Why is the 6.20 ratio so popular? I realize it takes load off of the ujoints but is that even an issue with 1550 joints. I plan on sticking with my 4.56 ratio when I put my 20-145 in next year. And I also believe that proformance pros has a billet 1550 yoke for the 20-145.

Went and looked at some axles today. The ones the yard have are tagged RS21-145. What is the difference in these vs a regular 20-145? He has a couple with aluminum hubs.

Went and looked at some axles today. The ones the yard have are tagged RS21-145. What is the difference in these vs a regular 20-145? He has a couple with aluminum hubs.

i have researched alot on the big rear ends. google and the internet is your best friend when it comes to that. i want to say the 21-145 is probably the next step up in GVWR.

Interesting thing I was told all the 20-145 to 40-145 axles use the same center section only difference is the thickness of the axle housing itself. That's where the weight rating of the axle is derived from. Can anyone verify this as I was only told this by an old semi mechanic.

20-145 and sqhd are both 22,000 axles. Not sure on the 40-145

From my research the first number is the weight rating (or within a few thousand pounds) of the axle. So anything that ends in 145 is basically the same series. Some parts may interchange but not all of them. So hard to say a blanket statement that the differentials are all the same.

Interesting thing I was told all the 20-145 to 40-145 axles use the same center section only difference is the thickness of the axle housing itself. That's where the weight rating of the axle is derived from. Can anyone verify this as I was only told this by an old semi mechanic.

I believe that the 5 is what will tell you the housing thickness. 20 indicates the gvrw of the axle. 1-states that its a single speed. 4 is the carrier type. And 5 is the thickness of axle 5=13mm or 1/2 in. It's the same on all.

Back